Stihl Dealers Negotiate? Times Have Changed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a MS460 and a SH55 hand held leaf blower, managed to get a little discount for buying both, plus a free case and extra chain.

I've never met a pro tree service offer discounts on their work, I've never seen a firewood seller offer discounts on the wood he sells. So my freind a margin that sucks is just that, it sucks. Thats why its the dealers choice to wheel and deal, not the customers. He'll decide whether he will smell your azz or kiss it. What you say really doesn't matter.

I discount my tree services and firewood to good customers and Senior citizens(and I admit really hot women). Now I have more work than time. I also agree with ya in that I will not fight with my dealer on price, Most times he hooks me up, always on big saws. Once in a while on a small part he apologizes for the price, I usually tell him "dont sweat it, You have to stay in business Cause I break a lot of parts" Im usually told not many people understand that.

Here is something we are not considering on this issue. Where I live 6 or 7 hundred dollars is more than most peoples house payment or rent. In other areas people have car and truck payments for that much. Stihl sets the price nationwide not considering that. Thank goodness my local dealer realizes that and adjust for that. I guess it is also worth noting that a dealer in a high income area probably has to make more money to pay his rent therefore has to make more sales or more per sale.

Wrong, a sale with no margin is not a sale, its a waste of time.

50 bucks is 50 bucks. could have sold me 2 saws even so 100 bones for a half hours work cuz i didnt needs any setup or anything.

Tom - If it makes you feel any better I still use my college id from about 10 years ago to get a discount at the china buffet down the street ;).

Thanks man. I'll tell ya that little gal at the DMV this week really hurt me bad. The nerve of her making me wear glasses to drive now just cause I'm getting old and can't see worth a hoot in hell anymore. Depressing that she would do such a thing to a mass of luv muscle like myself,GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,LOL

I discount my tree services and firewood to good customers and Senior citizens(and I admit really hot women). Now I have more work than time. I also agree with ya in that I will not fight with my dealer on price, Most times he hooks me up, always on big saws. Once in a while on a small part he apologizes for the price, I usually tell him "dont sweat it, You have to stay in business Cause I break a lot of parts" Im usually told not many people understand that.

Here is something we are not considering on this issue. Where I live 6 or 7 hundred dollars is more than most peoples house payment or rent. In other areas people have car and truck payments for that much. Stihl sets the price nationwide not considering that. Thank goodness my local dealer realizes that and adjust for that. I guess it is also worth noting that a dealer in a high income area probably has to make more money to pay his rent therefore has to make more sales or more per sale.

Around here ALL the firewood dealers with exception of very few give discounts on firewood when you buy more than one cord, those that do not get less business I am sure. If you look in the paper and one guy has it for 160 a cord no matter how many and the next guy has it for 160 a cord or 140 for 2 or more who are you gonna buy from? Thats right, the guy with the discount no matter how small will most likely get the business.

50 bucks is 50 bucks. could have sold me 2 saws even so 100 bones for a half hours work cuz i didnt needs any setup or anything.

Are you saying you wanted 50.00 off?, thats not asking all that much. I've given discounts much larger than that. What saw was you wanting 50.00 off on?

Thanks man. I'll tell ya that little gal at the DMV this week really hurt me bad. The nerve of her making me wear glasses to drive now just cause I'm getting old and can't see worth a hoot in hell anymore. Depressing that she would do such a thing to a mass of luv muscle like myself,GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,LOL

Hey Tom! TOM! Over HERE!

You're wandering again old man. We're talking about Stihl rip offs. Remember? :chainsaw: :cheers:

I'm glad to see you are willing to give abit on your prices Ray. Around here where I'm at a 1000.00 saw is usually paid for by arborists on one good size tree, yes they are that high around here. A landscaper around here can take a weed trimmer and make 150.00 a day with it easily so I got no mercy for them cats. Even so if they act right and don't demand I'll work deals with them, I do all the time. When some demand "whats my price" thats when things get iffy because we don't owe them anything. Its like I said, we may smell their azz but I'll be dayumm if were gonna kiss it to get their low ball tatic price business. My old boss had a saying, the price is on the tag, thats why its on the product. He was hardcore. He no longer deals in the Stihl and with alittle wheeling and dealing sales have doubled since he got out of it and left the selling to me. Even so there isn't but so much wheeling and dealing before margins fall out of sight. Businesses just can't afford that.

Hey Tom! TOM! Over HERE!

You're wandering again old man. We're talking about Stihl rip offs. Remember? :chainsaw: :cheers:

Stihl rips off ya say, I thought we were talking about squeezing blood out of a turnip,LOLOL Neat avatar, I'm feeling better having blury vision,LOLOL

Really hot women don't burn no stinkin' wood... do they?

Around here ALL the firewood dealers with exception of very few give discounts on firewood when you buy more than one cord, those that do not get less business I am sure. If you look in the paper and one guy has it for 160 a cord no matter how many and the next guy has it for 160 a cord or 140 for 2 or more who are you gonna buy from? Thats right, the guy with the discount no matter how small will most likely get the business.

A cord in Loudoun, Va brings $240.00 dollars firm. Alot of guys bring it in from West Va where they bought it for about 100.00-125.00. In DC its sold by the stick, we call it love wood, fireplace romance wood. The arborists around here charge extra to the customers to take the tree to the dump. Thing is its not taken to the dump if its good firewood, its blocked, split and sold after its removed from the site in log form. Thats how I got the log I use at the store to test saws on. Dealers have nothing on the some of the guys they sell to, trust me, I know.

Are you saying you wanted 50.00 off?, thats not asking all that much. I've given discounts much larger than that. What saw was you wanting 50.00 off on?

no, the man claimed his margin was 15-17% so i assume on a $600 saw it would have been easy for him to make 50 bucks/.

i really wanted to give the man my buisness too as i was in looking at saws about 3 times not that he had to spend any time with me but he was willing to.

i really wanted to give the man my buisness too as i was in looking at saws about 3 times not that he had to spend any time with me but he was willing to.

Give him your business? Sounds like you wanted to sell your business to him and he made the business decision that it wasn't worth it. :)

no, the man claimed his margin was 15-17% so i assume on a $600 saw it would have been easy for him to make 50 bucks/.

Well at 17% on $600.00 is $102.00. So you wanted him to make the same margin on two saws as he would had on one? Thats asking him to cut his margin to 8.5% because you was gonna buy two saws. Tant gonna happen in hardly any place I know of. Making 50.00 on a 600.00 saw means he would have to sell at least 10 before he could have enuff profit to replace one. Tant gonna happen and surely you can see why. Oh now I know what your thinking, he can make it up on the guys that buy only one. I say why should those guys pay for your discount. I'll take the other guys and you, well good luck.

Give him your business? Sounds like you wanted to sell your business to him and he made the business decision that it wasn't worth it. :)

LoL!

im not the one that was going to make or not make any money on the deal. smart move on his part? is the man in buisness to make money or not? not like i was going to take an add in the paper and say this dude sold me this saw for this much.

:cheers:

A cord in Loudoun, Va brings $240.00 dollars firm. .

HOLY $#%, %^#, and *&%!!!!! Tom, Im bringing a cord and half when I bring you my saw to fix. The best I get is 160 (that is if I go to the city/40 miles.) Where I live it is tough to get 120 a cord. And people mow their own lawns. I would not mind paying 800 to 1000 per saw instead of the 600 to 700 I pay if I could double my profit.

Latest posts

Back