Stihl Dealers Negotiate? Times Have Changed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things that my dad used to say about the car business: "They don't eat anything" and "there's an azz for every seat". That car that you wanted for 1 dollar over dealer cost will be still sitting right there in a week, and someone will come in who will not haggle over the price. I saw him bend over backwards to please some customers, and I've seen him nearly physically toss others out the door. Some people will never be satisfied, they'd complain about free, probably sue you for giving it to them if they cut their arm off.

Just saw a TV article about how all these companies have to "rethink" how they handle discipline and dress code, because it seems the current crop of glassy-eyed dolts rolling out of Mom&Dad U just can't seem to fit in with the rules. So the corporations are training supervisors and executives to just deal with these whiny pukes and to "accept their quirks". Glad I don't own a corporation, probably be short on young hires! The "Me Generation" is raising a crop of the "Me, Right Now and Don't Forget to Grovel on Your Way Out" generation. Sad.

[/rant]

Hey just noticed your name there, cool beans man. Gunsmoke was one of my all time favorites. Good chocie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw a TV article about how all these companies have to "rethink" how they handle discipline and dress code, because it seems the current crop of glassy-eyed dolts rolling out of Mom&Dad U just can't seem to fit in with the rules. So the corporations are training supervisors and executives to just deal with these whiny pukes and to "accept their quirks". Glad I don't own a corporation, probably be short on young hires! The "Me Generation" is raising a crop of the "Me, Right Now and Don't Forget to Grovel on Your Way Out" generation. Sad.

[/rant]
Wow, and I've been accused of getting off topic! :cheers:

Sorry, but I thought it really illustrates how our society has gradually gotten completely inverted. Screw everybody, get mine now kind of thing. Your fault, your post triggered that train of thought! :cheers:

Sorry, but I thought it really illustrates how our society has gradually gotten completely inverted. Screw everybody, get mine now kind of thing. Your fault, your post triggered that train of thought! :cheers:

That post brings up something that happened at the shop today. I take a hour for lunch. The shop is locked and thats that. I usually eat out in my car. Its been cold lately so I been eating in the shop with the door locked of late.

Today someone beats on the door while I'm downing my burger, I got 45 minutes left to eat. I get up with the burger in my hand and go see who's at the door. I open the door and this old gentleman goes why is the door locked. I said because I'm on lunch. He goes you can't take lunch, I need you to look at my saw. I said I see it in your hand, I've looked at it, now I'm going back to lunch,LOLOLOL I did tag the dayumm thing and told him I would fool with after I got done eating. He laffed and went on his way.
Alot of yuppies I deal with would have been screaming mad so yes there is indeed a I WANT IT NOW crowd and they can kiss me where the good Lord split me, nothing invades my hamburger at lunchtime, LOL

Thanks, and every guy's gotta love Dirty Old Festus! Well, unless you have a regular manicurist. :monkey:

I remember those baggy pants and his boots, Festus was a charactor for sure,LOL I liked how he cocked that one eye when Matt would get on his butt at times. I still think Festus had the hots for Miss Kitty..

Have you ever known an older generation to admire a younger one? What were your grandparents saying when you were a kid?

Well good greif Space what do ya expect, look at your avatar, no wonder us ole geezers shake our heads and wonder where did we go wrong,LOLOL

Well good greif Space what do ya expect, look at your avatar, no wonder us ole geezers shake our heads and wonder where did we go wrong,LOLOL

Ha ha. You'd almost think it were me, huh. :cheers:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMzoBkaFxh4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMzoBkaFxh4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ha ha. You'd almost think it were me, huh. :cheers:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMzoBkaFxh4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMzoBkaFxh4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Aint it,LOLOLOL

I don't in any way want to ruin anyones iromantic mage of the quaint local saw shop as a place wotth preserving. However, it is really humorous that we are actually discussing what we, as an insignificant portion of the global buying public. can or can'r or even wants to do about the inevitable bi-fracation of the sales and service function in the chainsaw business. As Yogi Berra said "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be." And our collective nostalgia is not likely to be worth the proverbial p*** hole in the snow.Ultimately, in the same fashion as has already happened completely in the applicance and electronic and automobile businesses, the chainsaw business will be separarated into two distinct functions-sales and service. We will pay for each in the manner that we perceive their valne. The information age has made that a certainty.

The stihl dealer I use was saying the other day cost of buyin parts have gone up some much he is considering just purchasing complete saws where needed.

The stihl dealer I use was saying the other day cost of buyin parts have gone up some much he is considering just purchasing complete saws where needed.

Ha! it's always been cheaper to buy an entire saw for parts than the parts... by about 3:1! If you use/sell a lot of parts for a particular model, it's a great way to go.

i gotta put in a plug 4 my dealer. if u walkin once and are never goin to come back (cause stihls last forever) you dont get much of a break but u get a hat oil chain etc and the most important thing, thanks!!!! if u r a pro or a wood cutter u can wheel and deal.service is top notch ,ait many dealers around that can tell u abut a super33 or have actually logged with 1, or would give u his ported 460 to go cut with for the day,wow i guess what im trying to spit out is if u have a great dealer do your part to keep him in business , and he will do the same for you; unless your service guy is red then im sorry!!!

I just got back from my local shop and I came home with my new MS361, a set of Stihl files, handles etc, and a peavey.

I just went in, asked for the saw with an 18" bar and chain and the owner of the shop wrote it up with $35 off on the saw. I paid full price for the files and peavy but you know what? He may have taken $35 off the saw, but that $35 investment he made by reducing the price has gotten him a loyal customer. I will go back to him as he treated me well IMO.

It is going to be a really good weekend!

More power! :chainsawguy:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I just got back from my local shop and I came home with my new MS361, a set of Stihl files, handles etc, and a peavy.

I just went in, asked for the saw with an 18" bar and chain and the owner of the shop wrote it up with $35 off on the saw. I paid full price for the files and peavy but you know what? He may have taken $35 off the saw, but that $35 investment he made by reducing the price has gotten him a loyal customer. I will go back to him as he treated me well IMO.

It is going to be a really good weekend!

More power! :chainsawguy:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Congratulations on your new saw. :cheers:

Now we need a "HERO" shot of the saw sitting on the kitchen table with a nice linen table cloth.

We do not, however, need the pics of your broken nose, black eye, and bloody lip from when your wife gets home and finds the table scratched and bar oil on the table cloth.:jawdrop:

Now we need a "HERO" shot of the saw sitting on the kitchen table with a nice linen table cloth.

We do not, however, need the pics of your broken nose, black eye, and bloody lip from when your wife gets home and finds the table scratched and bar oil on the table cloth.:jawdrop:

My wife doesn't mind if I put my saws on the table....she says I make more mess when I eat :hmm3grin2orange:

Back