Stihl Dealers: Why no Ultra?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howellhandmade

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It irks me that none of the four Stihl dealers I have visited in my area carry Ultra mix oil, and two that I've asked to order it have refused. Today I stopped at my nearest dealer for a jug of bar oil, and asked if they could get Stilh Ultra. "Nope," the guy at the counter said, "D**** (saw tech) says Super is better anyway."

"Why is it better?" I asked. "Dunno, that's what he says, and what he says goes." "But if you had some, I'd buy it," I said. "Lots of other people say it's good. I've bought three 6-packs of 2.5 bottles since March, and all of those would have been Ultra if you'd had it." "Sorry, I don't get it in," he replied. "But when I wanted a new decomp for my MS660, or an 8-pin sprocket, or a cover side dog for my 361 you got those in," I said. "Can you order it for me?" "Look, I told you, I don't carry it." Handed me my change for the oil. "Have a nice day."

I swear, I was being nice. Pleasant, not angry, perfectly conversational. He might have said that the least he could order was a case and the demand was so low that the oil would pass its expiration date before it would sell. Which may or may not be true -- lots of merchants don't want to carry something if it might not sell, but they also can't sell something they don't have. But he didn't, seemed like it was almost personal, like Stihl Ultra used to date his wife. While not universal, there is a lot of praise for Ultra here. Why would a dealer not stock it? Is it hard to get?

Jack

Price. Plain and simple people have a stroke at the price of most petroleum products we sell. We had to start carrying a cheaper alternative to Stihl bar oil, since people were having a tough time swallowing the price. To get free freight on oil, you have order a pallet of oil 75 cases or about 3000$ dealer cost. To order Ultra oil for you the dealer would have to buy a case, at a higher price than if it he ordered a pallet about 15% more expensive, then pay shipping on top of that.

One dealer here only had the small bottles (for 1 gal). Asked if he was gonna get the larger one, nope. No one was buying it, cost!! Another dealer didn't even have it. Talked with him at length. Next time I came in, there it was on the shelf. I feel bad cause I think I'm the only one buying it. Last yr. I was going thru a lot but this year with my timber quota so low I'm only running about 2.5gal of fuel a month. I still buy the oil tho, got a good stock pile of it. Dealer keeps me happy, I keep him happy.

Price. Plain and simple people have a stroke at the price of most petroleum products we sell. We had to start carrying a cheaper alternative to Stihl bar oil, since people were having a tough time swallowing the price. To get free freight on oil, you have order a pallet of oil 75 cases or about 3000$ dealer cost. To order Ultra oil for you the dealer would have to buy a case, at a higher price than if it he ordered a pallet about 15% more expensive, then pay shipping on top of that.

Fair enough. On the flip side, if I were willing to pay, he wouldn't have to sit on it. I know, when you do the paperwork, deal with the order, wait for me to come in with my cash, it's not like my order for Ultra means a trip to the Bahamas. But in a sense it's like any other part; this is what it costs -- still want it?

OK, I looked on the dealer website. Says it's about $100 for a case, only I know they don't have it. 2.6 oz. bottle is 2 bucks, not THAT much more than Super. They could pass the 15% on, insist I buy a whole case, or make a deal. Like if I buy half the case up front -- I can't be the only guy asking for it. Dunno, seems penny-wise and pound-foolish not to be willing to discuss it. Customers are such a problem . . .

Jack

The Stihl dealer 17 miles south of me does not have the ultra,I stopped into the new dealer 20 north last week and they have it.I didn't ask why,I was too busy talking to the salesman about saws and it seemed I knew more than he did:monkey:I have to thank this site and everyone on it for that.He did not know about square ground but the Stihl catalog he give me had it in it(RSLK)we talked alot about moded saws and he had questions.He told me I knew my saws and I just smiled:clap: Might pick up some Ultra next week talk alittle more with the salesman,last week my lunch break was over and I had to leave.:chainsaw:Oh yeah they had all the homeoner saws Stihl makes and one 361 and a 441.

It may not be "IN VOGUE" on this site.... but you can get all you want with free shipping on Ebay.. Delivery times are about 1 week. Sure its like buying Black Gold,, that wont change.. but its quickly available..Some say use Echo Power Blend as well.. Its available and good results have been attained..:computer2:

I'm in the same boat up here , you go to the shiny stihl store and look around at all the stuff they have , from plain and well priced to fancy and over priced and listen to customers say "That whipper snipper is the most expensive one I've ever seen it so must be the best,I'll take it ." or "I'll take the 69.00$$ tune-up special and a new blade while your at it " as they push in a 6 year old 149.00$$ lawnmower and we won't mention the price of tractors and equipment they sell , gee I just figured it out ..... They're Scared to Upsell or that the price of the ultra may scare people away .

:cheers:

It's true, mail-order would be effective. I'm stodgy, though, in trying whenever possible to buy locally and keep my dollars turning in the community. My dealer (the owner) has done me a good turn before and I'd like to support him, but his henchmen and service department seem determined to run me off.

Jack

edit: actually, ebay isn't much help anyway -- I see one bottle for 2 gal. at $3.99, or 33% over suggested retail, plus $4.90 shipping. So, in total, roughly three times the suggested retail price if it could be bought locally.

Last edited:
As far as oil pricing goes, at least for the Stihl dealers in Bryan's area,
the oil must be ordered by the pallet load, as it comes from a different
origin point as the dist.

If someone orders a small quantity of any lubricant, the shipping to him/dealer, is higher than the oil, and if he orders a case[min.],
and puts the appropriate price, it sits there for years.

Nothing personal, just business......

I must be lucky, my dealer stocks a whole end display of it and makes sure that they explain it's advantages of it over orange bottle with every new purchase. He throws in a large bottle with every purchase, starts them out on it so they will continue to buy it. He says his sales are about 60% orange and 40% Ultra, he says Ultra is gaining as the older owners are converted.
It's just the amount of effort a dealer wants to put in to selling a product.

I have three Stihl dealers close to me, and none of them carry ultra. When I ask why they all tell me its too expensive and they wouldnt be able to sell it.

As far as oil pricing goes, at least for the Stihl dealers in Bryan's area,
the oil must be ordered by the pallet load, as it comes from a different
origin point as the dist.

If someone orders a small quantity of any lubricant, the shipping to him/dealer, is higher than the oil, and if he orders a case[min.],
and puts the appropriate price, it sits there for years.

Nothing personal, just business......

Seriously? It costs more than $100 to ship a $100 case of oil? Or, $50/$50 if it's a keystone item? It's probably against everything Stihl, but if word got out that a dealer was willing to stuff a flat rate box full of Ultra, he might be able to move a pallet load. It seems retarded to make a product and then make it so expensive for a dealer to obtain that only the largest dealers can sell it. I have five Stihl dealers within a 6-mile radius. If they split a pallet load . . . I know, I know, nobody but us cares that much about farging oil.

Jack

am I crazy?

I have at least 4 dealers within 10 miles and I wait until my job allows me to go the the guy 25 miles away. He is honest and up front. if you pay cash he takes care of you. He carries ultra and told me that he is pushing it so that is all he has to carry. To me..cheap insurance. I am a firewood cutter. I just got rid of a diesel F-250 any ran synthetic in that since a week old..I believe in it and so does "my" dealer..I am trying to get him to order bulk bar oil now. still skeptic..I will get there..good luck boys..be safe and keep your chains sharp

Howell, I'm glad you made this post because I've stated something similar on here before, but the Stihl dealers in this area are just flat out tools.

I've dealt with a couple around here that sell multiple brands from years back and I just couldn't stomach there attitudes. I know that there are newer dealers around now but those old timers just planted that seed in me so I would never buy a Stihl. Maybe its my loss.

Go to a cycle shop and get the Spectro. It probably comes from the same place anyhow.

Seriously? It costs more than $100 to ship a $100 case of oil? Or, $50/$50 if it's a keystone item? It's probably against everything Stihl, but if word got out that a dealer was willing to stuff a flat rate box full of Ultra, he might be able to move a pallet load. It seems retarded to make a product and then make it so expensive for a dealer to obtain that only the largest dealers can sell it. I have five Stihl dealers within a 6-mile radius. If they split a pallet load . . . I know, I know, nobody but us cares that much about farging oil.

Jack

The oil comes from whatever refinery on pallets, and the distributor doesn't want to handle selling it by the case or bottle, because the markup is so poor
so they make it DISadvantagous for the dealer to buy just 1 caes of whatever
and the sales reps refuse to split the pallets between dealers just to
please some kid that wants a few bottles of synthetic whatever, nothing
personal....
The dealer doesn't want to order a case of something that will sit on his shelf
for a decade either, it is not complicated at all.

Not being a smart a ss, just trying to inject some reality here, that is all.

Latest posts

Back