Stihl Elastostart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
Reaction score
I've noticed several stihl saws 044's and up with this elastostart written on the pull handle. What comprises this system? The handle and a special starter cord? Is it effective? Could this be adapted too another saw?

Thanks,
:cheers:

I have an Elstostart cord on all my saws( MS260 and larger). It helps relieve stress on my forearm. I would like to try a loop handle from a MS460R on the 660 sometime. In the toolbox is a complete starter cord assembly and also a spare handle and a couple different size cords. I saved some money and ordered an aftermarket elstastart handle from Bailey's. It broke after a week. Now I spend the $30.00 on genuine Stihl.

If I am going to be a long walk from the truck I carry a spare length of cord. I can also use a stick for a handle if need be.

It is the cord, the rubber damper, and the handle. It will go on just about any Stihl. Even my 028 has it now. It greatly smooths out the start.

I have an Elstostart cord on all my saws( MS260 and larger). It helps relieve stress on my forearm. I would like to try a loop handle from a MS460R on the 660 sometime. In the toolbox is a complete starter cord assembly and also a spare handle and a couple different size cords. I saved some money and ordered an aftermarket elstastart handle from Bailey's. It broke after a week. Now I spend the $30.00 on genuine Stihl.

If I am going to be a long walk from the truck I carry a spare length of cord. I can also use a stick for a handle if need be.

YEEEEESSSSSSS Yippee an elasto start handle and rope is Under £10 $20 in the UK i cant belive anyone pays more for anything than we do here :cheers:

Sounds good Guys:clap: I want to try and put one on my Dolmar 120si :) That saw on occasion will rip the handle out of my hand :mad: Imagine the 044/440 size would be the proper size. :cheers:

well... Scotty...they are less than $20 MSRP from Stihl... even the larger type.. The replacement cords are about $2.25.

Sounds good Guys:clap: I want to try and put one on my Dolmar 120si :) That saw on occasion will rip the handle out of my hand :mad: Imagine the 044/440 size would be the proper size. :cheers:

Match the cord size rather than cc... , then trim to the exact length you need. The 026 -> 660 Elastostarts are all the same except the cord size/length.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Ive broken far too many elastostarts to have faith in them. Normal pull handle works fine for me.

Then again those Stihls need all the help starting they can get :laugh:
When you needa pull more than 1-3x I suppose operator fatigue comes into play.

If you've broken elastostarts, you've probably broken a lot of recoils, and conventional handles... Why all the long-arming?

It's really realy hard to break an elastostart... (of the rubber type).

I run them on everything... and they do work well. I see them fitted on all types of saws.

Last edited:
These ones were spring I think.

More accurately ive broken alot of things. My boss claims I break more stuff than anyone hes worked with, ever.

Come to think of it the cords were breaking and I was blaming it on the handles.

If the Stihls would just start right I wouldnt needa rip on the cord so hard :dizzy:

Sounds like you've broken more than the cord if they're hard to start:greenchainsaw:

Naaht.

Ive had to make a few stick handles because of cord and starter handle breakage. They work just as well hahahah.

Id blame the hard starting on poor tuning, ive never met a stihl that runs like my dolmar :cheers:

Match the cord size rather than cc... , then trim to the exact length you need. The 026 -> 660 Elastostarts are all the same except the cord size/length.

Andy,

I see three sizes listed. 1123,1128, 1122- 190 3400. I think the 1122 is right for me, but is that just the handle? Or is that the whole system?

Back