Stihl FG2 Bench Mount Filing Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tzed250.
With all your photo equipt do you have a video camera?
I would love to see one of you using the FG-2. Any chance of that?
Thanks

With my experience using my Oregon professional clamp-on guides, I work off the end of the bar and not from the side. They work great for me and I had used the file plates for some 40 years from the right side of the bar and then the left side.

I would think this Stihl bench mount guide would be more ergonomic to mount it on the right end of the bench so you could work from the end while filing?

With my experience using my Oregon professional clamp-on guides, I work off the end of the bar and not from the side. They work great for me and I had used the file plates for some 40 years from the right side of the bar and then the left side.

I would think this Stihl bench mount guide would be more ergonomic to mount it on the right end of the bench so you could work from the end while filing?

If I understand your ? correctly, you'll have to work parallel to the guide. Facing the long side.

It works best to push on the file

from right to left with your right hand

And left to right with your left hand.

Using the file handle.

7866987428_a4f981d9af_z.jpg

Pulled out my *old* style Oregon clamp on, last night.

Was on a Sears painted Poulan, of my neighbors.
(? Wild Thing, Black Tie Edition [rim shot ] )
It was used saw to him, so chain was a bit rough befoer he ran it.
One side had a mild rock rash, all teeth and other side was a few intermittent nicks.
Bar was showing a little forcing heat on one face and worn a bit uneven
to match the rock rash.

Dressed up the bar ok, But Had a brain phart and just never could seem to get the chain clips to hold properly.
This old one of mine, has the old narrow clamps that look like the Granberg clamps.

And have always felt that if the body of the jig had a second securing screw,
it would be more stable and *maybe* help with the chain clamps staying in position.
(may have to look through whats left of my small fine pitch tap tomorrow)

I always loved using this thing even if it was a bit slow.
If you were calm and patient, didn't push heavy it could give some darn nice results.

wondering if it's worth the effort to try fabbing up some wider clamps like on the new type Oregons.

=
My Danged double vision thing doesn't make things any easier to do, any more either.

Pulled out my *old* style Oregon clamp on, last night. . . And have always felt that if the body of the jig had a second securing screw,
it would be more stable and *maybe* help with the chain clamps staying in position. . . .wondering if it's worth the effort to try fabbing up some wider clamps like on the new type Oregons.

Older style Granberg / Oregon / ? 'File-N-Guide' has the narrower body. Later style 'File-N-Joint' has the longer body and the chain hold down fingers, but still only one bar clamping screw. It can still rock a bit on the bar if pressure is applied in a vertical direction. Not worth modifying if you just want the longer body style. But adding a second bar clamping screw on the longer body might be a nice design improvement.

Philbert

I have a couple of the Oregon professional file guides. They are both red. The newer one, the base is made just like the current black ones. I don't have any trouble with either one. The little plates that press against the chain rivets on both versions are the same but the mechanism for holding the plates is different from the current model. They are made by Tecomec

Grandberg once made a File-N-Joint for Chisel bit files. I believe that is where the machinist guy got the idea for the Stihl. I have been thinking about making a bench mount version... have looked into the FG2 also and don't like the price. Anyone make one similar?

Here's the old bar mount chiset bit FNJ, thinking of getting a Stihl bench mount and adapting this to it...

6F980514-FDE2-4024-84BF-CED7F260E88D-3850-00000CB84C575B4D.jpg

C093E82A-7276-4A04-9829-7E86056D4074-3850-00000CB85C30486B.jpg

BBA611EF-663E-4CC2-B4E3-635579662E71-3850-00000CB867D92B14.jpg

A703B51E-F26D-4042-8CF1-9918C51D03F8-3850-00000CB861B6B0DE.jpg

best close up pic of the tooth I could get with my iphone. This was square ground stihl chain to start with. I normally touch it up by hand, but just threw it on quick(with an old file) to show some pics. It works great for converting round chain to square, or squaring up a rocked out chain, otherwise, I file by hand, as I'm impatient and the jig takes too much fidling with left and right...

3523970B-C2B0-4E85-B32C-4B35B7A7572D-3850-00000CB856F429EF.jpg

Grandberg once made a File-N-Joint for Chisel bit files. I believe that is where the machinist guy got the idea for the Stihl. I have been thinking about making a bench mount version... have looked into the FG2 also and don't like the price. Anyone make one similar?

Check out this thread for square filing with these types of jigs:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/69509.htm

Especially first few posts and photos by 24d; post #29 by BobL; and post #38 also by 24D.

Philbert

I really like the looks of the stihl file guide but good god is it expensive. What about buying a cheap bar mount it in your bench vise and use the granberg guide on it?? What would be the difference besides $160+ cheaper??

I really like the looks of the stihl file guide but good god is it expensive. What about buying a cheap bar mount it in your bench vise and use the granberg guide on it?? What would be the difference besides $160+ cheaper??

The bar mount filing guides don't provided the precision and accuracy that the FG2 does.

That is the weak link in the granberg in my opinion are the chain guides. If they had a better way of keeping the chain locked it would be a lot better tool.

Ok so I bit the bullet and order me an FG2 sharpener. I called 3 local Stihl dealers and all 3 quoted me $159 so I went with the closest one. It should be here thursday. Pretty expensive but figure it will pay for itself over time. I can't wait to get her set up and start sharpening.

Ok so I bit the bullet and order me an FG2 sharpener. I called 3 local Stihl dealers and all 3 quoted me $159 so I went with the closest one. It should be here thursday. Pretty expensive but figure it will pay for itself over time. I can't wait to get her set up and start sharpening.

Charge your friends a few bucks to sharpen there chains and it will be paid for in no time:cheers:

Latest posts

Back