Stihl Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 2004 saw with flippy caps that caused me to hate flippy caps. Gas and bar oil on my boots and pants. This year I got rid of the 2004 flippy capped saw and bought two new flippy capped saws. Now I love flippy caps. The old ones were almost impossible to figure out if the caps were on properly without looking at my pants leg. Newer ones are much better.

A friend let me borrow his Stihl chainsaw pole pruner.

I tell ya, whoever the engineer was that designed the flippy caps should be shot, and the engineering manager who approved of the design should be right along side of him when they say "FIRE!". :msp_mad: :mad2:

I fill up the saw, and get it fired up. Pick it up, go to cut a branch overhead and feel my knee/calf getting wet. There went the first tank of fuel. Then it took me about 10 minutes to get the durn thing on the tank so it wouldn't leak.

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could have been worse, it could have been the oil reservoir cap that is by the chain. I'd have gotten a bath for sure!

Yep, could have been in the crotch way out in the woods on a hot day when trying to start the saw. How do i know this one. I've found that I just cannot trust the flippie caps. I now make sure they are secure. I've also had the oil running down my britches leg.

I would like to place my big steel toed shoe in the behind of the inventer. Need to add this to the list I see on TV ads for sueing people, like talcum powder, Roundup, Stihl Flippie cap crotch burns.;):eek:

Been a while with this old thread. :innocent:

I see I was in on this in 2011. I complained to Stihl of my disgust for "flippy caps". The response was more or less, "screw you" we got your E mail and will do nothing to rectify your concern. Since that time I have acquired an inventory of 14 saws, almost all Husky XPs. To this day I will not even consider a Stihl because of these accursed flippy caps. I am just a lone person, but a person who took the time to write and have since bought what is probably more saws than most. Just put this one is service this fall and it is awesome, Stihl wishes they had a saw to compete with this. Old school hard nosed bar with .404 for doing a lot of plunge cutting on cable skidded logs covered with dirt.

10-31-19 9.JPG 10-31-19 8.JPG 10-31-19 4.JPG 10-31-19 2.JPG

Update from Stihl USA

This is the response I got today, copied verbatim except names deleted to protect the flippy challenged.

Mr. XXXXXX,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email and comments.

Best regards,
Bob Myers
Technical Support and Customer Support Lead
---------------------------------------------------------
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Phone: (757) 498-7599
Fax: (800) 784-8576
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws – Outdoor Power Tools - Locate an Independent STIHL Dealer
---------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:17 PM
To: US/SCC-cs Customer Service; [email protected]
Subject: STIHL Web Site E-mail - Product Complaint

This e-mail is from XXXXXXX.

Subject: Product Complaint
Name: XXXXXX
Address1: God's Country
Address2:
City: Onalaska
State: Wisconsin
Zip: 54650
Phone Number:

Where Did You Hear About Us: Web site link

Comments: I have owned a Stihl 028 Super chainsaw and Stihl straight
shaft brushcutter for over 20 years.

I have recently bought 2 new chainsaws recently, a Makita 6401 and
Husqvarna 346Xp. I wouldn't even consider a Stihl because I detest the
"flippy caps" so much. In my opinion the flippy caps were a solution to
a problem that wouldn't exhist.

Can you make your pro line saws without this worthless feature? As long
as you continue with these caps, I will not consider a Stihl.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXX
Does STIHL have permission to publish your comments?: Yes, in the
scrapbook and in other forms of media.

If you are not the legitimate recipient, please send the e-mail back and delete it
on your system. Any unauthorized use or transfer of confidential information
may have legal consequences.[/QUOTE]

Great photos but your puny arsenal of 14 saws will never compare to my glorious 18.
Joking aside, the flippy caps are annoying ( to me at least) but the newer saws seem to have less temperamental flippy caps, the caps on my 462 and 261 rarely ever fail while the caps on my 250 are a nightmare.
Someone also mentioned the little trench around the oil cap on the 261, well the 462 has this same problem. ****** pain in the backside.

Great photos but your puny arsenal of 14 saws will never compare to my glorious 18.
Joking aside, the flippy caps are annoying ( to me at least) but the newer saws seem to have less temperamental flippy caps, the caps on my 462 and 261 rarely ever fail while the caps on my 250 are a nightmare.
Someone also mentioned the little trench around the oil cap on the 261, well the 462 has this same problem. ****** pain in the backside.

Flippys do get loaded up with oils and dirty and then become a problem, or not as easy to secure. I just soak them in some solvent, blow them dry and they are like new again for a long long time.

Of course I figured this out AFTER I bought some replacement. They are in my field kit, so good to have anyways.

The problem with the old flippy caps was that you could tighten them in any position and flip the lever only to discover bar oil or gas running down your pants leg. The newer flippy caps have a mark on them to make sure they are started in the right position before locking them down. The starting mark helped a lot.

ok, as of today I'm a first time flippy cap owner (MS361), in theory, I like them.
i always HATE to go grab my scrench every time i need to fuel and oil up with the 026..............to me that's the "problem" that never existed......in three weeks i may be changing my tune.....

ok, as of today I'm a first time flippy cap owner (MS361), in theory, I like them.
i always HATE to go grab my scrench every time i need to fuel and oil up with the 026..............to me that's the "problem" that never existed......in three weeks i may be changing my tune.....

No, you won't. As long as you use them as designed, they work every time.

I get that some of these old timers got turned off on them from the original designs...but they're simply not an issue anymore. I agree with you, not having to use a tool to get my caps off is fantastic.

It is challenging for some people, and impossible for others, but if you can follow this one idea you will be fine.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-flippy-caps.188175/page-7#post-7094649

I love the flippy caps when its cold.

Yesterday it was sleeting here and my saws were covered in ice.

My 044's flippy caps where easy to open.

My 562s flippy caps were stiff and hard to get moving.

My 394s old school low tech caps worked fine.

And for the record I used to laugh at "idiots" who dump bar oil down their legs, fools I tell ya.

Then one day I did it with my ms260. I was the fool that day!! :)

Appears maybe all Stihl flippie caps are not equal and I have the PITA ones on my older model saws.
Some of you guys say the later model flippie caps are A-Ok.

Appears my Stihl flippie cap saws must be the first design, MS 250, MS271. The gas and oil flippie caps on the saws are a PITA. (and I'm a Stihl fan, have several of the older model stihls with the regular caps and no problems)
I very seldom even reach for my flippie cap Stihl saws due to their piss poor flippie cap design. Sometimes have had to fiddle around several minutes just trying to get a oil flippie cap back on and keeping a eye open making sure it don't fall off. I do not own a Husqvarna saw but the Stihl flippie cap saws have made me consider Husky and other brands.

Can these older model Stihl Ms 250, 271 saws be fitted with the more user friendly (as some say) Flippie caps? (appears maybe these two saws do not use the same size caps either)

No, you won't. As long as you use them as designed, they work every time.

I get that some of these old timers got turned off on them from the original designs...but they're simply not an issue anymore. I agree with you, not having to use a tool to get my caps off is fantastic.
I was a big fan of flippy caps until today. I was out messing around in the garage today and under my practically new MS271 (little over a year old) had a huge puddle under it. I picked the saw up and all the gas has leaked out. The saw has maybe 1 hour time on it.

I was a big fan of flippy caps until today. I was out messing around in the garage today and under my practically new MS271 (little over a year old) had a huge puddle under it. I picked the saw up and all the gas has leaked out. The saw has maybe 1 hour time on it.
Probably just something on the seal, that's coming from a non-fan of them lol.
Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.22.19 PM.png

The main thing to remember is that the flippy cap swivels..!!

Not like a screw-in cap..(one part)..It's a two part cap that swivels in the middle.

Sometimes removing a cap can rotate the cap...resulting in 'strange' next closure.

One must always check after closure...to confirm the cap is sealed..!!

It's not complicated...just raise lever and try to pull out..!!

If it pulls out..you must swivel the cap's two halves..!! Re-insert and check again..!!
:cheers:
J2F
Prolly the best explanation I have found.^^^^^^^ IF you turn the cap before it is seated properly/ correctly you will put it in the closed position and it will not seal.Over filled tanks (especially the oil) will cause problems. That said they stihl suck!!! They remind me of something else stupid................Gas cans.

Back