Stihl FS 250 use a kombi replacement shaft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl FS 220K and the cylinder went in it. I was able to get a good motor from a FS250 but it doesn't have a shaft. I tried to put the FS220k shaft on the 250 but the shaft was larger then the 250 would except. I've kept my eye out for a parts saw but there are none locally. I did see a replacement shaft for a kombi on ebay and it got me thinking if that shaft would fit, I could also use the attachments.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have a Stihl FS 220K and the cylinder went in it. I was able to get a good motor from a FS250 but it doesn't have a shaft. I tried to put the FS220k shaft on the 250 but the shaft was larger then the 250 would except. I've kept my eye out for a parts saw but there are none locally. I did see a replacement shaft for a kombi on ebay and it got me thinking if that shaft would fit, I could also use the attachments.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The 250 and most of the Stihl trimmers are 25.4mm outer tubes so most of the popular solid shaft trimmers
would work. Just double check that the inner drive shaft matches the opening in clutch drum.

I've often wondered why Stihl didn't offer the fs250 powerhead for it's Kombi attachments. And I wondered if a person could used one anyway. The catalog shows it only acceptable for the cultivator.

The shaft on the FS160 180,220,280,300,350,400,450, and 480 is 28mm. from the FS250 and lower it is 25.4mm as already sated. The drive shafts are different diameter as well as the clutch drums but are interchangeable. I have converted my FS250 to accept the 4 point anti vibration setup from the larger saws.. well worth it to me and the vibes get tiring, especially when you run without the guard. I made an adapter sleeve and riveted to the shaft of my FS250, the rest is a bolt on mod.

If you want to run your FS250 engine with your FS220 setup, you will need to get the clutch housing from a 4128 series saw, FS350-480 with the 28 mm drive tube. You can then swap clutch drums, the bearing for both series 4134 vs 4128 is the same. But this set up will have no anti vibration. I would not recommend that.

Having said that, I live in Halifax NS, and have an FS250 from the clutch housing forward including bike bars and gear box auto cut head and some blades.View attachment 300707View attachment 300708View attachment 300710 Send me a PM. I will part with it once my FS350 parts show up.

Airframefixer

Latest posts

Back