• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stihl Fuel Can from ValleyFirewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, but show some proof. A gas tank is not as heavy as a saw and far as it reeked with gas, it's a GAS tank.
If you see the theme deeper both have right the seller say its just a gas tank not a nuclear bomb to package super , and the buyer want a nuclear bomb package for his item , now go and find who of them have the better right, at the other side even the stihl and husky package in cartons without extra super packagin but everyone is happy , no complains there just because its stihl or husky.

The issue is that it indeed was packed well. I'm no idiot to packing things. I worked with munitions for 12 years while in the military. My job was to ship, store and transport explosives. Anything from bombs, bullets, gernades to million dollar missiles and yes, some nuclear weaponry. Air Force 2w071 if you want to look it up.

If you see the theme deeper both have right the seller say its just a gas tank not a nuclear bomb to package super , and the buyer want a nuclear bomb package for his item , now go and find who of them have the better right, at the other side even the stihl and husky package in cartons without extra super packagin but everyone is happy , no complains there just because its stihl or husky.

I understand, but show some proof. A gas tank is not as heavy as a saw and far as it reeked with gas, it's a GAS tank.
Ummm. Not to be Captain Obvious, but saws have fuel tanks as well and steps can be taken to minimize seeping, and odor with those. What does the weight of an item being shipped have to do with poor packaging, or the lack of culpability?

So now that VF has washed his hands of any responsibility by saying some Special Needs kids are in charge of the packaging, it somehow makes his malfeasance acceptable?
Also, the original Sale thread can't be referenced for condition of the fuel can since it was deleted by some form of internet witchcraft. Though VF has a history of deleting his threads it certainly wasn't his fault. Oh no, that couldn't have happened?

Here you go…..

dog-pooping-on-obama.jpg

In any case I'm not sure how the boxed being smashed is be any means something I could have done or prevented? It was packed tight in the box, I shook it to make sure. Also it was pretty much wrapped fully in tape.. I told the guys to tape the shizz out of it... they took it a bit far haha!

Here is some free advice. This is what I do. I take pics of all my packages before shipping (10-15 pics): empty box, box with packaging on bottom, box with saw, with a little packing around saw, with more packing around saw, with more packing around saw, with box filled with packing, I put a piece of paper on top of packing with address of me and recipient and take pic, seal box and take pics of all sides of the box.....you get my point. If the shipper or the recipient says I did not package it properly I have proof otherwise.

Here you go…..

dog-pooping-on-obama.jpg

FTW

Here is some free advice. This is what I do. I take pics of all my packages before shipping (10-15 pics): empty box, box with packaging on bottom, box with saw, with a little packing around saw, with more packing around saw, with more packing around saw, with box filled with packing, I put a piece of paper on top of packing with address of me and recipient and take pic, seal box and take pics of all sides of the box.....you get my point. If the shipper or the recipient says I did not package it properly I have proof otherwise.

FTW
That would be the best way, That would keep someone from blaming you even though UPS trashed it.

I'm not sure why you can't call me with concerns before crap talking on here, almost like you just wanted to find reason to bad talk some one. That speaks volumes for your character.

I don't know what disintegrated cardboard means but I used a good box and taped the hell out of it. If it came apart the Usps really beat it around. Put some pictures up.

I didn't pack it, but I had left clear instructions on that. We have a friend who foster child's two special needs native Alaskans and they help out at the shop. - gives them a sense of purpose and they do great work too. When I say special needs I mean a few years behind for their age, so high functioning.

They help me out stacking wood, cleaning the shop, etc, great workers!

Perhaps it didn't get packed quite right. They were to wrap it in bubble wrap and fill the rest of the box with newspaper. I know the bubblewrap roll was smaller and a pile of newspaper was gone.
What problem is with using newspaper? It's cheap, light, and works well.

Not to mention to make no mention of the extra gifts I included. I think on that package there were some pens, cups, maybe a hat or two? Your welcome I guess? Every package I've sent out has had something extra. A few got t shirts even.

As far as their being gas in the box, it must have leaked from another package while being shipped. There hasn't been gas in that can for easily 10 years and the cap was on it.

again, post photos so I can see.

I don't remember deleting the thread, I've had some threads just vanish, had a computer virus on my old computer (still getting fixed) so maybe it had something to do with that, I'm not sure, I have no idea how this all works. That or maybe I deleted it because it was sold, I don't remember.

I went ahead and bolded the parts where you say you never saw how it was packed, but that you left specific instructions.

A ~30 year old gas tank not used in a long time. It sat with the open spigot on in the shop for many years. I pulled the spigot off, and put the cap on. I remember it not smelling because I looked in the tank with a borescope when I listed it to make sure it wasn't rusted out.
There was no way possible for gas to get on the box from that can. I can only guess that another package while under the USPS care leaked on it.

When I ship saws I drain all the fluids and wrap them up in a trash bag just because it might leak a little bit still. The can had no chance of that.

In any case I'm not sure how the boxed being smashed is be any means something I could have done or prevented? It was packed tight in the box, I shook it to make sure. Also it was pretty much wrapped fully in tape.. I told the guys to tape the shizz out of it... they took it a bit far haha!

Then I bolded the part where you said you shook the box yourself and that you know it was fully wrapped in tape, because that's what you told them to do.

The issue is that it indeed was packed well. I'm no idiot to packing things. I worked with munitions for 12 years while in the military. My job was to ship, store and transport explosives. Anything from bombs, bullets, gernades to million dollar missiles and yes, some nuclear weaponry. Air Force 2w071 if you want to look it up.

Then I bolded the part where you knew it was packed very well, because you're no idiot.

In 3 posts you've gone from never seeing the box, to having handled it yourself?

I'm not sure why you can't call me with concerns before crap talking on here, almost like you just wanted to find reason to bad talk some one. That speaks volumes for your character.

I don't know what disintegrated cardboard means but I used a good box and taped the hell out of it. If it came apart the Usps really beat it around. Put some pictures up.

I didn't pack it, but I had left clear instructions on that. We have a friend who foster child's two special needs native Alaskans and they help out at the shop. - gives them a sense of purpose and they do great work too. When I say special needs I mean a few years behind for their age, so high functioning.

They help me out stacking wood, cleaning the shop, etc, great workers!

Perhaps it didn't get packed quite right. They were to wrap it in bubble wrap and fill the rest of the box with newspaper. I know the bubblewrap roll was smaller and a pile of newspaper was gone.
What problem is with using newspaper? It's cheap, light, and works well.

Not to mention to make no mention of the extra gifts I included. I think on that package there were some pens, cups, maybe a hat or two? Your welcome I guess? Every package I've sent out has had something extra. A few got t shirts even.

As far as their being gas in the box, it must have leaked from another package while being shipped. There hasn't been gas in that can for easily 10 years and the cap was on it.

again, post photos so I can see.

I don't remember deleting the thread, I've had some threads just vanish, had a computer virus on my old computer (still getting fixed) so maybe it had something to do with that, I'm not sure, I have no idea how this all works. That or maybe I deleted it because it was sold, I don't remember.

A ~30 year old gas tank not used in a long time. It sat with the open spigot on in the shop for many years. I pulled the spigot off, and put the cap on. I remember it not smelling because I looked in the tank with a borescope when I listed it to make sure it wasn't rusted out.
There was no way possible for gas to get on the box from that can. I can only guess that another package while under the USPS care leaked on it.

When I ship saws I drain all the fluids and wrap them up in a trash bag just because it might leak a little bit still. The can had no chance of that.

I am confused... In your first response you indicate that you "used a good box and taped the hell out of it" and then proceed to state the "special needs" children boxed the item in your absence and the packing materials were gone at a later time so it must have been done correctly. Now somehow the taped box passed back though your hands and you shook it and gave it a quality control thumbs up for shipment?

If your box was taped as you suggest, would it not have been impervious to the gasoline that you postulate must somehow have leaked on to it in transit? What are the odds that a gas filled item somehow was in the same shipment as the Stihl can and released its contents onto your package? I have never received a package that was contaminated in shipment.

Too many pictures of how to pack a saw! :crazy:

I felt it my obligation to give a tutorial..... cause God knows I will be buying saws from some of yall in 2015.;) Seriously though, I often buy according to "who" is selling and not "what" they are selling. Repeat business is good business.... for the buyer and seller.:rock:

I have bought 3 saws from Steven and they are well packaged and drained of all fuels and when I open the gas cap to fill it up you can barely even seem fuel. The saws are always wrapped in bubble wrap and there is no room in the box for movement at all. If Steven is bringing this up it wasn't packaged to his standards. Not everyone cares about how things are packaged before shipping but we can all learn a lot from threads like this.

...What are the odds that a gas filled item somehow was in the same shipment as the Stihl can and released its contents onto your package? I have never received a package that was contaminated in shipment.

That strains the bounds of credulity and requires the suspension of rational thought, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back