• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stihl Fuel Can from ValleyFirewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why you can't call me with concerns before crap talking on here, almost like you just wanted to find reason to bad talk some one. That speaks volumes for your character.

I don't know what disintegrated cardboard means but I used a good box and taped the hell out of it. If it came apart the Usps really beat it around. Put some pictures up.

I didn't pack it, but I had left clear instructions on that. We have a friend who foster child's two special needs native Alaskans and they help out at the shop. - gives them a sense of purpose and they do great work too. When I say special needs I mean a few years behind for their age, so high functioning.

They help me out stacking wood, cleaning the shop, etc, great workers!

Perhaps it didn't get packed quite right. They were to wrap it in bubble wrap and fill the rest of the box with newspaper. I know the bubblewrap roll was smaller and a pile of newspaper was gone.
What problem is with using newspaper? It's cheap, light, and works well.

Not to mention to make no mention of the extra gifts I included. I think on that package there were some pens, cups, maybe a hat or two?
Your welcome I guess? Every package I've sent out has had something extra. A few got t shirts even.

As far as their being gas in the box, it must have leaked from another package while being shipped. There hasn't been gas in that can for easily 10 years and the cap was on it.

again, post photos so I can see.

I don't remember deleting the thread, I've had some threads just vanish, had a computer virus on my old computer (still getting fixed) so maybe it had something to do with that, I'm not sure, I have no idea how this all works. That or maybe I deleted it because it was sold, I don't remember.

So "You" used a good box or the "Special Needs Children" did? You said "I used a good box and taped the hell out of it" then turn right around and say you didnt pack it.

There was no bubble wrap in the box at all. No newspaper either, but there was some torn pages from a phone book. As far as the "gifts", I didnt ask for a dirty plastic cup and a ball cap with grease stains on it. I assumed that was some of your packing/filler material. The pictures show that the box was not packed correctly. A box that has the correct packing doesnt concave like this box did. The only reason a box would "crush" is bc there was space between the item and the box. And the box does reak of fuel. Any fuel can that has ever had fuel in it, will always smell like it has had fuel in it.... especially one that has been sealed up for years.

The item itself was not damaged, but there was no effort to protect it from being damaged.

Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 6.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 5.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 4.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 2.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 1.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 11.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 10.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 9.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 8.jpg Stihl Fuel Can from Valley Firewood 7.jpg

what if it had been a $1000 saw?

Anything that has had fuel in it, should be wrapped and sealed in a bag. Had they decided to pull the item from the truck bc of the odor, I dont get the "can" but you walk away with my money.

So "You" used a good box or the "Special Needs Children" did? You said "I used a good box and taped the hell out of it" then turn right around and say you didnt pack it.

There was no bubble wrap in the box at all. No newspaper either, but there was some torn pages from a phone book. As far as the "gifts", I didnt ask for a dirty plastic cup and a ball cap with grease stains on it. I assumed that was some of your packing/filler material. The pictures show that the box was not packed correctly. A box that has the correct packing doesnt concave like this box did. The only reason a box would "crush" is bc there was space between the item and the box. And the box does reak of fuel. Any fuel can that has ever had fuel in it, will always smell like it has had fuel in it.... especially one that has been sealed up for years.

The item itself was not damaged, but there was no effort to protect it from being damaged.

View attachment 398230 View attachment 398231 View attachment 398232 View attachment 398235 View attachment 398236 View attachment 398237 View attachment 398238 View attachment 398239 View attachment 398240 View attachment 398241
That looks like a packing job i would do after a week long drunk and i lost my hat and my coffee cups.:laughing:

A ~30 year old gas tank not used in a long time. It sat with the open spigot on in the shop for many years. I pulled the spigot off, and put the cap on. I remember it not smelling because I looked in the tank with a borescope when I listed it to make sure it wasn't rusted out.
There was no way possible for gas to get on the box from that can. I can only guess that another package while under the USPS care leaked on it.

When I ship saws I drain all the fluids and wrap them up in a trash bag just because it might leak a little bit still. The can had no chance of that.

In any case I'm not sure how the boxed being smashed is be any means something I could have done or prevented? It was packed tight in the box, I shook it to make sure. Also it was pretty much wrapped fully in tape.. I told the guys to tape the shizz out of it... they took it a bit far haha!

lets take this a bit further, you said on saws you drain the fluids and wrap them in a trash bag, but you see no need to wrap a gas can that stored fuel in a bag? and the part in "bold" the pics say otherwise.

now a ex mod pm'd me a few days ago after reading a post of mine where I stated that the thread had disappeared. He said that the mods should be able to make it "un-disappear" if the need arises. For some reason, I seem to recall from the orig listing that the seller "confirmed'' that the upper tank did not leak fuel. However, you have posted, not in the one I am quoting, but in this thread that it hasnt had fuel in it in 10 years..... so how can you state that the upper tank doesnt leak fuel?

It's not about the money. Seventy dollars doesnt mean anything to me when I spent $11,000 on saws last year. But what does matter, is that my friends here need to be aware when there is a seller to beware of. What if it was several hundred dollars or $1k plus. There has to be an accounting when your selling here.

There was a gentleman that pm'd me and disclosed that they finally did receive the saw you sent them, but it wasnt the "model" saw you said it was in the listing. Also, you didnt disclose that the saw had a homemade "wire" choke lever to the buyer. That is something he has discovered since it arrived, and he hasnt had time to look deeper into the condition of the saw since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back