Stihl Kombi. Legit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babaganoosh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a house last year and need to start putting together my non chainsaw related yard tools. I've been thinking of the kombi system but I don't want to regret not getting stand alone units.

I need a line trimmer and hedge clipper and would consider the blower if it works well. Might add an edger in the next few years.

Is it legit? Kinda gimmicky?

I like my KM130. Plenty of power. Only one power head to keep fresh fuel in, take care of. The stand alone trimmers that are pure two stroke are easier to moderate the engine speed but for power to run a rototiller, edger, saw blade, hedge clipper, all of which I have it is a really nice unit.

I have the km130 with the straight shaft trimmer which I can swap out to run a brush blade, pole saw attachment, root tiller, and the straight shaft edger. I wouldn't want to store or maintain all these if they were individual units.

I have the KM90R and its been great so far.
Only had it a couple months, but it was the right purchase for me.
I've already used the pole saw at least a dozen times already.
The articulating hedge trimmer I've only used a few times, but it's a real time saver.
That's all I planned on buying, but my gas trimmer was down for repair, so I bought the straight shaft trimmer attachment.
Now I'm thinking about the edger attachment.

I think I'm going to go with the system. I can't decide on a power head though. I probably don't need the 130 but..... it does have the most power.

I don't want to get a smaller power head and then always regret not getting bigger. This is for a homeowner application so we are talking less than 100 bucks different amortized over how many years here. Pro grade stuff should last me a long long time. Plus if I move and don't take the stuff should hold value.

I'm going to go with either the 110 or 130 powerhead. Can't decide which. Wish there was a way to demo this stuff

Got a house last year and need to start putting together my non chainsaw related yard tools. I've been thinking of the kombi system but I don't want to regret not getting stand alone units.

I need a line trimmer and hedge clipper and would consider the blower if it works well. Might add an edger in the next few years.

Is it legit? Kinda gimmicky?

I know it is only 24cc but Stihl introduced a 2-stroke back into their line up, the KM 94. It gets very good reviews. Unless you are trimming some deep grass, or real thick hedges, I wouldn't hesitate on the KM 94. If I replace my old Craftsman 4-stroke multi-tool set, it will be with the KM 94.

Post #9, gives a decent review:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-km94-kombi-head.281429/

I think the km94 would be great for a string or hedge trimmer but not powerful enough for the other attachements like an edger or saw, much less a tiller. If tilling or sweeping, I would lean towards the 130, otherwise the 110 should be fine and drink a lot less. I always tend to get the biggest engine though, otherwise because I have always regretted not doing so at some point. 90% of the time the 110 would do, but for that 10%?

I can almost guarantee I will never be tilling but I'll probably be edging.

The only way I end up tilling is if I finally give up and settle down with a chick who wants to garden. Lol

Maybe get the 2 stroke and send it out for porting.... I kid I kid......

I think I'm going to go with the system. I can't decide on a power head though. I probably don't need the 130 but..... it does have the most power.

I don't want to get a smaller power head and then always regret not getting bigger. This is for a homeowner application so we are talking less than 100 bucks different amortized over how many years here. Pro grade stuff should last me a long long time. Plus if I move and don't take the stuff should hold value.

I'm going to go with either the 110 or 130 powerhead. Can't decide which. Wish there was a way to demo this stuff
Get the 130 it has a third more power they say anyway.

Get the 130, loads of torque.
The blower attachment works fabulous and is the only attachment that demands enough power to avoid hitting the rev limiter at wot.
The broom works as nice as the tiler. Even troy built and mtd attachments fit.

I gave the 130, wish they made bigger as I find its a bit gutless with the weed wacker attachment.
I also have the power broom (both the brush and paddles) and edger.

My brother said he adjusted the calves on hit and it helped. I didn't even know it had valves!

130 it is!

Looks like I'm going to have to wait on anything more than the line trimmer atttachment. My sewer line is backing up. It's backed up at the clean out. I rented a power snake and got a few tree roots out. Snakes it to the road so it should drain but it's very slow going. Guess my articulating hedge clippers attachment money is going to the plumber.

Just got the 130. They tried to tell me it was overkill for my 2/3 of an acre property. I said you guys obviously don't belong to arboristite! Blank stares. Lol

Got a few things to do but I'll post a pic in a bit.

Ok. I didn't even make it into the house without starting it up and laying the smackdown on some weeds.

This thing is nasty! It sounds like a beast.

Was cutting 2 to 3 week overgrown grass and weeds on 60% throttle. Full throttle is just ridiculous.

I'm wearing flip flops and shorts because I just got back from a winery (actually awesome and not gay but thats another thread ) and I need pants asap. The grass and rocks flies back at insane leg bruising and speeds.

Ok. I didn't even make it into the house without starting it up and laying the smackdown on some weeds.

This thing is nasty! It sounds like a beast.

Was cutting 2 to 3 week overgrown grass and weeds on 60% throttle. Full throttle is just ridiculous.

I'm wearing flip flops and shorts because I just got back from a winery (actually awesome and not gay but thats another thread ) and I need pants asap. The grass and rocks flies back at insane leg bruising and speeds.

Little weeds like that will be fine. You'll notice it needs more power if you ever do a fence line, ditch, etc with weeds that are 2-3+ft tall.
I also use a 50ish cc Jonsered trimmer and it's way better aside from it being a fuel hog.

Good choice ,,130's are a good all round size for general trimming ,, if the going gets tough just put on a blade.
The down side is its a gunna be a heavy hedger.

The Kombi system works pretty well, I think. I have the KM55 and the KM130 and find for certain things that one works better than the other and visa-versa. For instance, if I have some tree trimming to do I usually want the 55 since it's a two stroke and spins the chain faster than the 130. However, if I'm down in the gully trimming really hardwood (like Osage Orange) then I want the 130 since it has grunt that the 55 doesn't.

The string trimmer is pretty good; I've heard unhappy comments about the inability to feather the throttle on the 130, but I find that isn't the case for me; it works fine. It has the grunt to get down in the ditches or clear tall standing brush - most of the time it's on the rev limiter. It also is very torquey at low revs, so in close you still have the power to do the work without marking up the bark or siding or paint. It holds more fuel and is a bit more efficient than the 55 so I can trim the whole lot and the ditches without having to stop and refuel. On the other hand, the 55 is lighter and for quick work around a set of trees or yard-obstacles then the 55 is the better suited. Hope that makes sense. I use the Super-Cut head on the straight shaft; I like it because I can wind line on it and never touch it again (no tapping or fiddling with line) until it runs out. Also kids figure out that they can tap out all the line and then have a break! The blade works very well with either power unit.

My wife uses the cultivator in her garden; she hasn't said which power head she prefers but she seems to like the 130 which is easier to start (one pull, literally, yank it and then flip the choke off quick-like and it's going).

I don't have a blower or sweeper attachment, but of the attachments I have the one I like least is the edger. It's uncomfortable to use, doesn't work as well as I'd like and if it I had to use it more than about twice a year I'd sell it on CraigsList and go get a unit that has the engine on the ground and rolls.

I'm not running a yard service or anything, but we often will load up and go mow for one of the widows or old maids in the area so the machines get a workout and we've learned what works and what could use some improving if you take my meaning.

And last Summer I bought a bent shaft trimmer for my oldest kid - she wouldn't get with two feet of anything when running the rider; it was taking forever to trim. She hates it so she's inspired to be a much better mower. Best $75 I've spent on OPE in years even though it almost never gets used! She knows if she does well mowing I'll do the trimming and she won't be bothered.

Overall, I give the Kombi system two thumbs up. If I were forced to have just one power head the 130 would get the nod; ideally though, one of each allows you to select the best tools for the job at hand. Note that I didn't go out and buy all these tools on the same afternoon!

Little weeds like that will be fine. You'll notice it needs more power if you ever do a fence line, ditch, etc with weeds that are 2-3+ft tall.
I also use a 50ish cc Jonsered trimmer and it's way better aside from it being a fuel hog.

Uh... I can't agree on the lacking power. I only have and use FS130s on my ROW crew- and they don't skip a beat in anything we cut

Latest posts

Back