STIHL Mount Cannon Bar on a 288xp...... Pinching the chain???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rubbing against anything on the saw or on the bar? Either way the answer is no. Low hour saw, basically new saw.

@redbull660 There is no way that bar was damaged in shipping. You had that thing packed extremely well.

roger that. yeah man so throw it on the 660 and see what happens. Hopefully we can eliminate it from the list of possible causes.

If it isn't rubbing anywhere under the cover, take a close look at the drive sprocket and specially the nose sprocket - maybe something is pinched in the nose sprocket area, making it hard to turn - or the drive sprocket is badly worn?

I know it is basically new - but something (like wood fibres) could be pinched there anyway.

You have of course checked that the chain tension is not too tight?

Howdy,
Take something with a point on it and get down in the bar groove to see if there is a burr on the inside of the rail. Also, the further the bar is mounted away from the sprocket, the chance of the clamping area of the bar mount pad intersecting the bar groove increases. I've had the burr do just what your describing after dressing a bar on a bar rail grinder.
Regards
Gregg

Chain turns smooth when mounted to my 461.

Watching my daughter while momma goes to the grocery store so I am limited to what I can do at this moment. Looking at the bar I did notice a small burr right on the tail. When I get out to the garage to smooth this out I will report back. Stay tuned......

image.jpg

If you look at the pic you can see two tiny little dents, one on each rail. The metal is slightly smashed causing a tiny tiny burr to form on each rail. It looks like where the burr is, the bar grove gets slightly wider so I am not sure this is it but it very well could be.

The chain might get pinched between the guide plates on both sides. I noticed some wear on the inner plate from the previous bar in the picture. The Stihl bar has a slightly different shape (narrower?) and chain entrance/exit angle...

I have a 242 that does the same thing with some chains.

So I cleaned up the tiny tiny burrs on the bar, no go.

Started the saw with rear nut 1/4 turn loose. Saw runs good. Slightly tighten the rear bar nut. Blip the throttle a few times..... I can feel/hear the chain riding tight. Still did not loosen up after being ran and getting a lot of bar oil on chain and bar.

Tried another chain, same. Put on a new drive sprocket, nada.

Used some washers and mounted bar with no clutch cover, CHAIN SPINS FREE / CORRECTLY.

So I looked at the clutch cover. I did see that the steel post for the chain tensioner, the part that goes threw the bar and moves the bar, had dimpled the clutch cover. So I took it out and hit the end with the bench grinder making it slightly shorter............. Nope still the same.

This sucks....

As someone stated, there was a wear mark on the clutch cover.

I believe the reason it is there because when I got the saw it was missing the white guide on the clutch cover and the one on the case side was there and it was slightly worn like they are on any used saw. The saw was missing a few bolts and had a good amount if aftermarket parts on it. During my tear down, clean and reassemble, I got all the parts needed to get it back to oem. So I bought a new case side guide and cover side guide.

I mean a few posts ago I stated that I tried mounting the bar and chain up without either of the guides and it still was hard to turn.

I am sure this is something easy, I am just not seeing it.

Talked with Bill @ cannon. He is stumped like I am. He is also on board with shimming out the clutch cover. Also said to try a different clutch cover. So next chance I get I will be making a shim to see if that works.

Do you have shim stock?
If I remember right I used .040, make sure you trim it on both the top and bottom to clear the rail groove.

Talked with Bill @ cannon. He is stumped like I am. He is also on board with shimming out the clutch cover. Also said to try a different clutch cover. So next chance I get I will be making a shim to see if that works.
Just use the two washers. Put them on then the cover. See if that works.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back