Stihl MS 250 vs Echo CS-4510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kossuth

Reaction score
All, looking to purchase a new saw. I owned a cheapo Poulan 4018. I just burned the piston in it last night quartering some 30" rounds off eight maple and pine trees that were felled on our property. Tree service took the brush and left the larger stuff for firewood, and I killed the saw. So time to make an upgrade. Don't want to spend a ton of money here (wife is already mad at me as it is) and I would say $350 is about the peak of what I can spend and not spend the next 5 years in the garage. There are two really good dealers in my area. A Stihl and an Echo, so it's between those two. With the Stihl I'm pretty set on the MS250 saw. With the Echo I would be looking at the CS4510. Either saw would have a 18" bar. Thoughts and opinions?

I grew up on a farm and everything we used on the farm was Stihl because we have/had a good dealer near us. So while I appreciate the Stihl products I also realize you have to have dealer support which is why I'm also looking at the Echo. Thanks.

I'd say go with the Echo 490. Echo 590 is a better choice if you regularly cut bigger stuff. I only have very limited run time on a friend's 250 and I wasn't impressed at all. Didn't have the nuts to run the 18" bar. I think the 590 is probably the best saw for the money period.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

All, looking to purchase a new saw. I owned a cheapo Poulan 4018. I just burned the piston in it last night quartering some 30" rounds off eight maple and pine trees that were felled on our property. Tree service took the brush and left the larger stuff for firewood, and I killed the saw. So time to make an upgrade. Don't want to spend a ton of money here (wife is already mad at me as it is) and I would say $350 is about the peak of what I can spend and not spend the next 5 years in the garage. There are two really good dealers in my area. A Stihl and an Echo, so it's between those two. With the Stihl I'm pretty set on the MS250 saw. With the Echo I would be looking at the CS4510. Either saw would have a 18" bar. Thoughts and opinions?

I grew up on a farm and everything we used on the farm was Stihl because we have/had a good dealer near us. So while I appreciate the Stihl products I also realize you have to have dealer support which is why I'm also looking at the Echo. Thanks.
I have a 490 and an ms250. The Echo is all around a better saw. What part of Maryland are you in? Always looking for things to run the ported 590 and 7910 in if your close and would like a hand.

Your dollar will go further with an echo saw.
I've worked a cs450 really hard over the last 6 years.
It's done things with a 20" bar that many would not have attempted and come out smiling.
Run good fuel and keep the chain sharp as it can be.
The oiler keeps up with a 20" no problem.

Knowing what I know now, I would not ever pay the Stihl Premium in this saw size... Echo has the value edge for sure.
Good luck!

So I went out today and looked at both the Stihl MS 250 and the Echo CS4510. The dealer I stopped at sells both Echo and Stihl products. The Echo retails for around $330 and the Stihl around $350. With that said I looked at saws both with 18" bars on them. I ended up purchasing the Stihl. Definitely took the community's input, but I'm going to share some things I noticed when I looked at both saws. I'm definitely not a professional reviewer but I'm going to share my thoughts being I looked at both in the same showroom side by side.

Weight and Balance
- Stihl: I don't care what the specifications read from both Echo and Stihl. This is definitely something that in person you could tell there was a difference between the two and it was more than the 1 lbs that is advertised. The Stihl is definitely a more compact and lighter package. Both saws are largely built from plastic. I guess that's just how modern homeowner equipment is anymore. In the handling of both the saws I realized that the Stihl though lighter felt alot more rugged and durable. The Echo seemed flimsy and almost floppy to me when to me. The Stihl with the 18" bar also seemed alot more balanced than the Echo with the 18" bar.

Starting
- Echo: Primer bulb starting plus choke. I imagine this saw will be alot easier for most people to get going after it has sat for a bit or if it has questionable gas it it. Given the Stihl has only a choke I can see the normal person having a problem getting this saw going if it has some questionable gas in it. I grew up using Stihl saws so the lack of a primer definitely didn't scare me, but I can see where it would be a benefit. The Echo definitely was alot easier to pull the engine over. The Stihl you had to get after it alittle

Power
- Inconclusive: Unfortunately I was unable to test run either saw in the show room of the dealer given I got there later in the day. I did run the Stihl through a full tank of fuel when I got home with it and I will say it's definitely twice the saw that Poulan was.

Accessibility to cleaner element and spark plug.
- Equals: Both units it pretty easy to access the air cleaner assembly and plug.

Bar tensioner and assembly
-Echo: The echo I would say wins here a little given the captive nuts for the case. I wasn't super hot about the feature I can see the usefulness of it.

Hand controls
-Stihl: There is something familiar about being able to basically flip your way from choke to off with just your thumb. Maybe a familiarity thing but still.

Bar and Chain
- Equals: It looked like both saws use actually the same chain. Bar is obviously different but nothing crazy. The Stihl has the Rollomatic bar, the Echo you have to grease the bearing every so often. No big deal either way.

Value
-Echo: The Echo is about $20 cheaper retail vs the Stihl.

Reasons I purchased the Stihl
- Partially (maybe 10% consideration) it was brand familiarity and reputation
- Mostly it was about the balance and weight (probably close to 50% once I felt the difference). Full disclosure: Going into the purchase I figured by looking at the spec sheets that these two saws would feel very similar and the work load on the operator would be about the same. I was dead wrong in that assumption. It just goes to show that you have to look at these things in person vs trusting a spec sheet and talking to folks online. Both are valuable resources I consider myself a pretty healthy and strong person, but not without my problems. In short I had a major back surgery a year ago to remove about 1/2 of my L5/S1 disc and L5/L4 disc in my lower back. Both discs in my lower back had ruptured and pinched off over 90% of my spinal cord. As what's left of the discs continue to deteriorate and I begin to develop severe arthritis the discs will have to be fuzed. I am putting that off as long as I can, but I know I'm on the clock as far as that goes. How that factored into the saw purchase. Well..... I wasn't even thinking of any of that crap to be honest. It wasn't even a consideration until I actually picked up both saws and noted the difference in weight and balance. It then occurred to me that while I could definitely use the Echo with no issue the fatigue level would be much much higher with that saw vs the Stihl.

Was it the best choice? Not sure but I figured I would share my thoughts and observations. I've attached a pair of pictures of the two saws side by side to give you guys an idea of the difference. Also note the floor tiles are 12x12 tiles so you have some reference on the difference.

IMG_2624.JPG IMG_2625.JPG

So I went out today and looked at both the Stihl MS 250 and the Echo CS4510. The dealer I stopped at sells both Echo and Stihl products. The Echo retails for around $330 and the Stihl around $350. With that said I looked at saws both with 18" bars on them. I ended up purchasing the Stihl. Definitely took the community's input, but I'm going to share some things I noticed when I looked at both saws. I'm definitely not a professional reviewer but I'm going to share my thoughts being I looked at both in the same showroom side by side.

Weight and Balance
- Stihl: I don't care what the specifications read from both Echo and Stihl. This is definitely something that in person you could tell there was a difference between the two and it was more than the 1 lbs that is advertised. The Stihl is definitely a more compact and lighter package. Both saws are largely built from plastic. I guess that's just how modern homeowner equipment is anymore. In the handling of both the saws I realized that the Stihl though lighter felt alot more rugged and durable. The Echo seemed flimsy and almost floppy to me when to me. The Stihl with the 18" bar also seemed alot more balanced than the Echo with the 18" bar.

Starting
- Echo: Primer bulb starting plus choke. I imagine this saw will be alot easier for most people to get going after it has sat for a bit or if it has questionable gas it it. Given the Stihl has only a choke I can see the normal person having a problem getting this saw going if it has some questionable gas in it. I grew up using Stihl saws so the lack of a primer definitely didn't scare me, but I can see where it would be a benefit. The Echo definitely was alot easier to pull the engine over. The Stihl you had to get after it alittle

Power
- Inconclusive: Unfortunately I was unable to test run either saw in the show room of the dealer given I got there later in the day. I did run the Stihl through a full tank of fuel when I got home with it and I will say it's definitely twice the saw that Poulan was.

- Equals: Both units it pretty easy to access the air cleaner assembly and plug.

-Echo: The echo I would say wins here a little given the captive nuts for the case. I wasn't super hot about the feature I can see the usefulness of it.

Hand controls
-Stihl: There is something familiar about being able to basically flip your way from choke to off with just your thumb. Maybe a familiarity thing but still.

Bar and Chain
- Equals: It looked like both saws use actually the same chain. Bar is obviously different but nothing crazy. The Stihl has the Rollomatic bar, the Echo you have to grease the bearing every so often. No big deal either way.

Value

- Mostly it was about the balance and weight (probably close to 50% once I felt the difference). Full disclosure: Going into the purchase I figured by looking at the spec sheets that these two saws would feel very similar and the work load on the operator would be about the same. I was dead wrong in that assumption. It just goes to show that you have to look at these things in person vs trusting a spec sheet and talking to folks online. Both are valuable resources I consider myself a pretty healthy and strong person, but not without my problems. In short I had a major back surgery a year ago to remove about 1/2 of my L5/S1 disc and L5/L4 disc in my lower back. Both discs in my lower back had ruptured and pinched off over 90% of my spinal cord. As what's left of the discs continue to deteriorate and I begin to develop severe arthritis the discs will have to be fuzed. I am putting that off as long as I can, but I know I'm on the clock as far as that goes. How that factored into the saw purchase. Well..... I wasn't even thinking of any of that crap to be honest. It wasn't even a consideration until I actually picked up both saws and noted the difference in weight and balance. It then occurred to me that while I could definitely use the Echo with no issue the fatigue level would be much much higher with that saw vs the Stihl.

Was it the best choice? Not sure but I figured I would share my thoughts and observations. I've attached a pair of pictures of the two saws side by side to give you guys an idea of the difference. Also note the floor tiles are 12x12 tiles so you have some reference on the difference.

View attachment 661644 View attachment 661645
The ms250 will treat you well. It was are 1 saw plan till I joined AS. It handled 6-8 cord a year no problem. Only issue if had with it is the kill switch wire coming off and having to choke it to shut it down. Fixed it by pinching the connection a little with a pair of pliers. 20180410_154119.jpg

Did they have the Stihl 251 in stock? I was at the local hardware store within the last week and they had the 250, no 251 or 260. Maybe they sold them or maybe they choose to carry the 250 though there are two variants of the 251.

Did they have the Stihl 251 in stock? I was at the local hardware store within the last week and they had the 250, no 251 or 260. Maybe they sold them or maybe they choose to carry the 250 though there are two variants of the 251.
Didn’t look to be honest. I quickly glanced at the 251 online and noticed that there didn’t seem to be a quick easy way to access the cleaner element and plug. The Poulan I had you had to tear the top cover off to access the plug and filter. That was a super pain being when you had to get in there it was an additional 10 minutes getting everything apart and back together. Not to mention it never fails the filter plugs or the saw floods when you want it to work. I basically decided a longtime ago I wasn’t going to look at a saw that you needed a screw driver to get to this area. So it wasn’t even a consideration.

Weight and Balance

Starting

Power

Hand controls

Bar and Chain

Value

View attachment 661644 View attachment 661645
Congrats on the new saw! You made a wise choice by actually handling and comparing for yourself and choosing what felt best for You! Happy and safe cutting!!

I also have an echo cs-490 and a stihl ms250. The echo runs well, I'm just not that impressed with it - but my MS250 will out cut the 490 all day long.
You don't have your 490 tuned right or maybe not broken in. A ms 250 will (not even be close) to a cs490 tuned right, broken in and a muff modd to open up the clogged up muff. Steve

Nope all my saws have been muffler modded and re-tuned my MS250 is a little screamer! The 490 is a fine saw just not impressive - Of the 30+ saws in my workshop if I had never purchased the 490 i'd be Ok. Not saying i'd get rid of it though - I think thats one of those un-written sins??? :) In the 50cc range of saws nothing tops my Maruyama MCV51 (Dolmar 5105) - wicked little saw.

I'd say go with the Echo 490. Echo 590 is a better choice if you regularly cut bigger stuff. I only have very limited run time on a friend's 250 and I wasn't impressed at all. Didn't have the nuts to run the 18" bar. I think the 590 is probably the best saw for the money period.

I was going to say the same thing... What he said...

View attachment 677941 I'll run either. The 250 with 18" 325 setup is a turd. I ran one with a 16" pico setup and it was a different saw but still won't run with my 490 setup the same way.
i need to get me one of those rims for mine i have a 16inch narrow kerf.325 on my 490 and it rips.. but i think it would pull a 18 inch lopro echo bar from one of my cs 400s that really work well with a 16 inch lopro vxl...and on my cs 310s i have a 14inch and one with a 12 that really cuts....with loprovxl

I may keep the narrow kerf 16 it cuts and balances really well it throws some chips....nice to change things around see what works better on what....I have an 021 that runs very well with a 3/8s lopro i bet the ms 250 gets it with that lopro.....

Nope all my saws have been muffler modded and re-tuned my MS250 is a little screamer! The 490 is a fine saw just not impressive - Of the 30+ saws in my workshop if I had never purchased the 490 i'd be Ok. Not saying i'd get rid of it though - I think thats one of those un-written sins??? :) In the 50cc range of saws nothing tops my Maruyama MCV51 (Dolmar 5105) - wicked little saw.

Latest posts

Back