Stihl MS 361 review by non-user.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has posted much more useful and interesting info than you have on here - never mind the "brand wars", they are just for fun imo.......:)

Your a meanie, go stand in the corner,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I was invited over to a buddies house Sunday to cut some wood. When I get there, he says, I told the neighbor to come over too. Well, low and behold there he stands holding a 361 in all its glory. :)

So I'm thinking I can't wait to see this thing run, never seen one cure cancer in person. I have to say, I was not overly impressed. Ok, I'm not really impressed at all!

Granted he stihl had the factory safety chain on (20" bar) but it was throwing nice chips so I assume it was fairly sharp. I did not run it but did hold it and could definitely tell it had more girth than my 5100.

The thing was so quite and restricted (gutless) sounding, I would say the muffler needs gutted big time and I'm sure a good chain would make a noticeable difference.

It would have been embarrassing to Stihl if we would have laid those two saws in that 14" oak at the same time......My 5100 is all stock except for the chisel chain. He did stand there for about 5 mins just watching me running the 5100 and said after I stopped "that thing's a runner!" :)

Bottom line, in stock form, the 5100 sounds and cuts like a Ferrari and the 361 like a Ford/Chevy. :)

Let the flogging begin....:laugh:

Just in case ya'll forgot what he said. He never said anything about running it. Included all the information to let you know he didn't run it. And made a judgement with what he saw with his own eyes. How is that wrong? Its like reading these posts....you didn't see me type it...so how do you know i did... If you went to try out a brand new truck, and the dealer fired it up, and it was knocking....and you said "no thanks". It would be like him saying to you " Thats silly for you to say you don't like it, you didn't even drive it!" Sometimes you can base an opinion on what people say, and what you see, to know whether or not you want something. And 99% of the stuff on any forum is opinion anyway isn't it? Its just what people think.

Just in case ya'll forgot what he said. He never said anything about running it. Included all the information to let you know he didn't run it. And made a judgement with what he saw with his own eyes. How is that wrong? Its like reading these posts....you didn't see me type it...so how do you know i did... If you went to try out a brand new truck, and the dealer fired it up, and it was knocking....and you said "no thanks". It would be like him saying to you " Thats silly for you to say you don't like it, you didn't even drive it!" Sometimes you can base an opinion on what people say, and what you see, to know whether or not you want something. And 99% of the stuff on any forum is opinion anyway isn't it? Its just what people think.

Matt,

How is it wrong? Perhaps a better question is, "Was this thread necessary?". We have dozens and dozens of users with thousand upon thousands of hours of actual use reporting on the usage of the 361. Bashing a well regarded saw, well regarded from field reports from pros, because you watched it for the better part of a day without actually running it seems rather pointless.

But, I could be wrong,

Joat

Matt,

How is it wrong? Perhaps a better question is, "Was this thread necessary?". We have dozens and dozens of users with thousand upon thousands of hours of actual use reporting on the usage of the 361. Bashing a well regarded saw, well regarded from field reports from pros, because you watched it for the better part of a day without actually running it seems rather pointless.

But, I could be wrong,

Joat

But its his opinion and he's entitled to it. There is a lot of stuff on her thats not neccessary. Reading someone elses opinion is no different from reading his. He told every aspect of his experience with the saw. I don't even see why it was neccessary for so many people to jump on him about what he said. That was just as unneccessary.

Thanks Matt!.....His feelings are just hurt. :laugh:

Amazing someone gets so uptight over an inanimate object. :dizzy:

I don't need to drive the little Honda civic with the chrome tip muffler, making all kinds of noise but barely getting out of its own way, to see it doesn't run for $hit.

I don't need to operate the log splitter that can't split 10" logs without rolling/flipping the log over and over to find a soft spot, to know it doesn't run for $hit.

I don't need to swing the bat to see a baseball player that can't hit the ball.

A coach doesn't need to be out on the court/field to see who has it and who doesn't.

I don't need to run a saw to see some fool is using a dull chain and I sure as hell didn't need to hold that 361 in the cut, to see it's no where near as fast as reported here.

Windy, since you've never personally used a Dolmar and have no real world experience with one you should stop all your bad mouthing threads/posts about Dolmar. It's against the forum rules ya know......Practice what you preach, instead of letting your emotions get in the way. :)

Thanks Matt!.....His feelings are just hurt. :laugh:

Amazing someone gets so uptight over an inanimate object. :dizzy:

I don't need to drive the little Honda civic with the chrome tip muffler, making all kinds of noise but barely getting out of its own way, to see it doesn't run for $hit.

I don't need to operate the log splitter that can't split 10" logs without rolling/flipping the log over and over to find a soft spot, to know it doesn't run for $hit.

I don't need to swing the bat to see a baseball player that can't hit the ball.

A coach doesn't need to be out on the court/field to see who has it and who doesn't.

I don't need to run a saw to see some fool is using a dull chain and I sure as hell didn't need to hold that 361 in the cut, to see it's no where near as fast as reported here.

Windy, since you've never personally used a Dolmar and have no real world experience with one you should stop all your bad mouthing threads/posts about Dolmar. It's against the forum rules ya know......Practice what you preach, instead of letting your emotions get in the way. :)

Looks like you love hard work bro! can sit and watch it all day ha??:)
I gotta 361, I love it, its never let me down, cuts well, sounds horn and is easy on the back. In actual fact I can out cut my neighbours new 390XP. Sure the 361 isnt the best thing on earth, its the 2nd. a cold beer is no.1.
:clap:

:popcorn:

Matt,

But, I could be wrong,

Joat

Lets review for a second Joat....Post #6 of this thread, below (by me)....Some bashing I'll tell ya! :dizzy: :givebeer:

Yes, it is a very nice, well built saw. I'm not saying it's junk. Just with all the talk on here about the 361, I thought it was gonna be a hot rod right out of the gate, like the 5100......I was disappointed in the performance aspect only, not the build quality! I don't think I could even wait for the warranty to expire to gut that muffler!

It just didn't go through the wood near as quick as I expected.....If you guys didn't exaggerate, I wouldn't have been so dumb founded when I seen it in action. :rolleyes:

BTW....I did tell ya all it could have been the safety chain and or restrictive muffler or both but either way, the way it leaves the Stihl dealer has a lot to be desired, for a $600 saw.....IN MY OBSERVATION.

$600 361.
Damn, I paid $1300AUD for mine with few extras, and that was a good price, this was when our dollar was strong.

Im moving over with you guys.

WOW....You really got the shaft! :hmm3grin2orange:

WOW....You really got the shaft! :hmm3grin2orange:

Mabey, but its worth every cent IMO, I have never seen the Dolmars here eather, and only a small amount of Jreds.
We really only have Husky and Stihl.

I can see what your saying about the 361, but you should try one, If you use it wrong, it wont work well, like anything really.
Mabey your mate needs to learn how to use a saw!
I can out cut my mate 2 fold, and he has a 361 also.
Its how you operate it.

cheers for a really amusing thread also, made my day better.

Lets review for a second Joat....Post #6 of this thread, below (by me)....Some bashing I'll tell ya! :dizzy: :givebeer:

Yes, it is a very nice, well built saw. I'm not saying it's junk. Just with all the talk on here about the 361, I thought it was gonna be a hot rod right out of the gate, like the 5100......I was disappointed in the performance aspect only, not the build quality! I don't think I could even wait for the warranty to expire to gut that muffler!

It just didn't go through the wood near as quick as I expected.....If you guys didn't exaggerate, I wouldn't have been so dumb founded when I seen it in action. :rolleyes:

BTW....I did tell ya all it could have been the safety chain and or restrictive muffler or both but either way, the way it leaves the Stihl dealer has a lot to be desired, for a $600 saw.....IN MY OBSERVATION.

FC,

The red highlight is the point I've very trying to make. If you had picked it up and used it, you could probably be a little more certain of the reasons why the 361 disappointed you. I have also made the offer of letting you have some actual trigger time on mine if you like. You made a cute reply at my offer, but it was a sincere and genuine offer that still stands. I can put a 20" bar with Oregon LGX that has been touched up only once. It's got loads of compression and really revs quickly. In fact, it's tough to start if you don't use the CR.

Let me say that I have no doubt that your account is accurate or genuine. I simply ask if it's a fair account because the reason for the lack of performance seems to be so unclear. Finally, this is not about whether FastCast is right, or Joat is right. It's a search for the truth.

Joat

Joat, I would not let an amatuer near one of my 361s. And I doubt that he really wants to know what they run like, becasue then he would have to eat his words. Better to be ignorant and proud than experienced and humble.

Joat, I would not let an amatuer near one of my 361s. And I doubt that he really wants to know what they run like, becasue then he would have to eat his words. Better to be ignorant and proud than experienced and humble.

WT,

Thanks for the advice. I have made many friends here and I do try to help if I can.

BTW, the number of posts and the enthusiasm reflected in many posts on AS are what led me to want a 361. Yours were front and center. I have not been disappointed.

Thanks Windy,

Joat

Dolmars are nicer:clap: :)

Yah, if only they had dealers and service. I would like to run a 5100s. I would also like to see one on a shelf in a saw shop. Sadly there are none around here. I called every Dolmar dealer (8 of them) listed on the Dolmar web site in the greater Portland/Vancouver area, and they either were not really a Dolmar dealer at all, or they did not carry the 5100.

Of course, I saw a guy on YouTube cut with a 5100s once and it cut like crap. Thus according to the FastCast methods of analysis with zero experience using the saw to make an evaluation, it must be deduced that the 5100s is a really crappy saw. :chainsaw:

Yah, if only they had dealers and service. I would like to run a 5100s. I would also like to see one on a shelf in a saw shop. Sadly there are none around here. I called every Dolmar dealer (8 of them) listed on the Dolmar web site in the greater Portland/Vancouver area, and they either were not really a Dolmar dealer at all, or they did not carry the 5100.

Of course, I saw a guy on YouTube cut with a 5100s once and it cut like crap. Thus according to the FastCast methods of analysis with zero experience using the saw to make an evaluation, it must be deduced that the 5100s is a really crappy saw. :chainsaw:

I agree their dealer network SUCKS, for as nice of a saw as they make they should promote it more. Around my area also there was no real dealers, when I called the locals they didn't have anything in stock but could order it,WTF I want to touch it and have an experience....back on track. I did find one Amish dealer near me that carried them and they let me run it, but I ended up getting one from a member here. I think if they ever get real serious about selling saws they will do great, until then they are the best kept secret. Everyone has heard of Husky and Stihl but noone knows anything about Dolmar, it's sad really:)

Latest posts

Back