Stihl ms 461r or husky 372, need a new saw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are really getting into it, Any thoughts on the wicked work saws.

Yeah, sorry man. I've never run one of Terry's saws. I know some people who have them and are really happy with them. I also know that on some models he was basically charging a full port job price, but only making minor mods to the saws. Not sure what models, and honestly, that's totally cool, as long as the saws run great and the buyers are stoked. Personally, if I wanted a saw ported I'd call Randy Evans, Carl Miller, or Scott Kunz. Those are guys that I know do great work and more importantly, stand behind it if something goes awry.

...........both are very good saw's ms440 thru ms-462 and the 365 thru 372xpw .....Brett aka @chipper1 has a nice 2166 mm that would keep up with any of the the mentioned saws ...or I also second the 7-series Makita/dolmar saws that's was mentioned by Ryan earlier
Yes Sir, that Jred 2166 would be nice to have. Buy it so I can stop looking at it.

a 461 has bigger nuts then a 372, but the 372 is a way nicer saw to run everyday. Don’t even get me started on stihls filtration lol. The guys who think it’s good quite simply don’t run saws enough to have an opinion.

5ab6fbfa391b4e89f894c72b0570ce0d.jpg
This :rolleyes:. and the stihl cost more.
Buy a Husky 365, remove transfer baffles, open up muffler and you have a great running 372. You will have extra money to buy a Cannon bar and spare chains.
I like this thinking neighbor :clap:, but I'd buy a set of adapters and get a stihl lite bar for the win :numberone:(and a spare since money isn't an issue, besides it's his money not mine :laugh:).
Isn't there a Masterminded 372 in the trading post right now?
Sold :envy:, as is the one Westcoaster listed :yes:.
...........both are very good saw's ms440 thru ms-462 and the 365 thru 372xpw .....Brett aka @chipper1 has a nice 2166 mm that would keep up with any of the the mentioned saws ...or I also second the 7-series Makita/dolmar saws that's was mentioned by Ryan earlier
Thanks for the props Rod :cheers:.
I like the little dolmars too, at 80cc they do great in this game :sweet:.
Yes Sir, that Jred 2166 would be nice to have. Buy it so I can stop looking at it.
If you want to run it come on over :chainsaw:.

OP, sorry to hear about your loss.
I think the 461 and the 372 xtorq both have their positive and negative sides, I think the dolmars are also in the game as a contender if you would allow them to play.
AS westcoaster was saying, the torque on the 460/461 is great and I think they out pull a 372 (no solid facts such as redbull testing data to confirm this).
The 372 will want to be at the top of the rpm range more than the 461 will desire to be, this is fun in some types of cutting, and not as fun or efficient in other types of cutting(not sure what your skill level, or needs will require), and the 372 is much smother than the 461.
I also don't know if this is a saw that needs to be at the ready or if you can afford downtime to get parts for, also if you work on your own saws or not, then the type and distance to your local dealer(and the services each one offers) may play a larger roll in the decision.
I think I would be patient and buy one of each personally, had to go wrong there, then save up a little more and grab up a dolmar just because(it will probably surprise you, but you didn't ask about them so disregard ;)).
Here's what Jack thinks about them. Remember this is a 372xpw, not a 372 xtorq, had and have both, like the larger handle(I have small hands too) on the xtorq other than that whatever between the two(large clutch cover may help with the softwoods where your at.

If you are into a non x-torq and since you are in California, you could always contact Jack Bealer(Hotsaws101) and see if he has a new OE 372xp or xpw sitting 'under the bench'. He seems to be very good at getting the 372 and 461 to perform well above stock form. I think he usually has a relatively short turn around.

If you are into a non x-torq and since you are in California, you could always contact Jack Bealer(Hotsaws101) and see if he has a new OE 372xp or xpw sitting 'under the bench'. He seems to be very good at getting the 372 and 461 to perform well above stock form. I think he usually has a relatively short turn around.
Yes sir, he knows his way around them much better than I do. That always demands a premium price, as does an xpw.
I didn't know Jack was on here?
20171023_105346.jpg 20171023_144110.jpg 20171023_144316.jpg

Nice saws, I think I have made up my mind, I am thinking, stihl ms 461 r from rich at Myrtle creek saw shop and have him go through and port it up, have a dual port muffler and have him install max flow filter system, and a h.o oiler. What is your guys thoughts?

Nice saws, I think I have made up my mind, I am thinking, stihl ms 461 r from rich at Myrtle creek saw shop and have him go through and port it up, have a dual port muffler and have him install max flow filter system, and a h.o oiler. What is your guys thoughts?
The 461 is a great saw.
The r should come with an HO oiler.
Will he be doing an actual port job or simply cutting the base and the piston, also will he replace the coil for an unlimited one(nice option you can ask about).

I
The 461 is a great saw.
The r should come with an HO oiler.
Will he be doing an actual port job or simply cutting the base and the piston, also will he replace the coil for an unlimited one(nice option you can ask about).
I will get more info from him, i'll make sure to get all that done to the saw.

I will get more info from him, i'll make sure to get all that done to the saw.
I'm not saying a popup and a cut base is what you want to get, but it's good to know what your getting. If that's what he does to saws, that's fine(I personally don't know), but that's not a port job although it is modifying it. Either way the saw should perform better than stock :).

I'm not saying a popup and a cut base is what you want to get, but it's good to know what your getting. If that's what he does to saws, that's fine(I personally don't know), but that' not a port job although it is modifying it. Either way the saw should perform better than stock :).
I hear yah, I will get the details from him. I want a full port job so we will see what we can come up with. Should be a good runner regardless but obviously I want what I am paying for.

I hear yah, I will get the details from him. I want a full port job so we will see what we can come up with. Should be a good runner regardless but obviously I want what I am paying for.
Sounds like a plan.
When you get it, pictures or it didn't happen :).
thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

****, i talked to Andy Wellman over at Dominate saw, and he might have me convinced on the Dolmar ps 6400-w. Hd filter, wrap handle and a full port job, it sounds like it should fit my needs perfectly and going Dolmar should be a good change up from either Stihl or Husky. I am always willing to try something new. Anyone have any thoughts on the Dolmars, personally, i have never owned one.

****, i talked to Andy Wellman over at Dominate saw, and he might have me convinced on the Dolmar ps 6400-w. Hd filter, wrap handle and a full port job, it sounds like it should fit my needs perfectly and going Dolmar should be a good change up from either Stihl or Husky. I am always willing to try something new. Anyone have any thoughts on the Dolmars, personally, i have never owned one.
I like the ones I have, ported 6401, 7910 and a ported 7910, all with poleman carbs on them.
@Armbru84 may have one for you.

What size bar do you want it to pull and what size wood is it going to be cutting? On paper a 6400 (64cc 4.7hp 15.6#) ain't even close to a 461 (76cc? 6.0hp 15.7#) in anything except weight. A wrap on a 6400 adds 1.5# per dolmars website specs(ps-6400 14.1#, ps-6400 W 15.6#).

What size bar do you want it to pull and what size wood is it going to be cutting? On paper a 6400 (64cc 4.7hp 15.6#) ain't even close to a 461 (76cc? 6.0hp 15.7#) in anything except weight. A wrap on a 6400 adds 1.5# per dolmars website specs(ps-6400 14.1#, ps-6400 W 15.6#).
He is talking about having it ported, but I feel the same way, grab up a 7910 and have that ported:chainsaw:. Very nice even with a full wrap.

Back