STIHL MS 500i Oil Mix Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all still eating crayons over here? Red or blue? Which ones have less trans fat? My heart needs to know.
The color of the crayons you eat determines your political leanings, so choose wisely. The less trans-fat ones are the green ones, but the other colors taste better. As for heart health, I wouldn't know because I'm a heartless s.o.b. according to most people.

The color of the crayons you eat determines your political leanings, so choose wisely. The less trans-fat ones are the green ones, but the other colors taste better. As for heart health, I wouldn't know because I'm a heartless s.o.b. according to most people.

So if I eat the black ones......my heart will be black like yours?

Anyone who actually knows me knows that I have no phucks to give about that.

Grow up, nut up, and get over it.
I hear ya, it's gone too far. The day I was told "Digger Pines" and "No way Jose" were not politically correct, I gave up on all that. I've yet to have anyone complain about my being rude, so I guess I'm doing something right. Slightly back on topic, whaddya think of the 500i's so far, fuel consumption, durability, etc? I have a buddy who said as soon as I'm back in the woods he'll buy me one and I'm wondering if there are any kinks that still need to be ironed out in your opinion.

I hear ya, it's gone too far. The day I was told "Digger Pines" and "No way Jose" were not politically correct, I gave up on all that. I've yet to have anyone complain about my being rude, so I guess I'm doing something right. Slightly back on topic, whaddya think of the 500i's so far, fuel consumption, durability, etc? I have a buddy who said as soon as I'm back in the woods he'll buy me one and I'm wondering if there are any kinks that still need to be ironed out in your opinion.

I get nothing but rave reviews about that saw. So far, no issues on about 50 units.

I hate to get mixed up in an oil mix thread but I am old school and mix my oil pretty heavy average probably around 32-1.Now this what I can not for the life of me figure out.With my heavy mix say 16-1 posters claim all the oil does not get past the filter and the gas mix that does get past can not all get past the high speed needle so my saw is lean on oil and heavy on gas .Why then does it smoke.As the gas in the fuel goes in the jets the oil that can not pass threw must continue to build up in the line and also in the tank because the filter is stopping a percentage there.Every time I open the tank or remove a fuel line I never see any oil built up.
I run lots of old outboards with 8-1 mixes and they have really good very fine sinitered bronze fuel filters and I never see oil build up or the motor seizing up because it was running lean because I put lots of oil.The motor just happily motors along with very light smoking compared to the heavy oil it digested 80 years ago.
Kash
Its just backyard scientists spewing nonsense, its a normal thing on public forums. Some people just came to conclusions very quickly without any second thoughts, or just repeat what they heard as if its true. Imagine thinking some piece of sawdust or the fabric in the filter, which have holes millions of times larger than the size of oil and gas molecules, can mechanically filter oil out of the gas lol. It's like making a loop with your arms to pour water through in order to filter it :crazy:
Regarding the 500i, I'm running 40:1 Motul 800 offroad (run 32:1 in all my regular carb saws). I remember there were issues at 32:1 with mtronic/autotune saws with these heavy, thick oils, so I'm a bit scared to using 32:1 in 500i. The injector hole seems to be pretty big so this shouldn't be an issue, but I'll still ask here to find the answer. I like more oil, I've seen enough noisy bearings with way too little hours on them ran at 50:1 (either way, 40:1 might be more than enough with this oil, but hey, there's a reason why I'm on this site lol) :chainsaw:
@Mastermind Worksaws What mix ratio do you tell your clients to use for this particular saw? Do you think Motul 800 at 32:1 might be too thick for the injector?

Its just backyard scientists spewing nonsense, its a normal thing on public forums. Some people just came to conclusions very quickly without any second thoughts, or just repeat what they heard as if its true. Imagine thinking some piece of sawdust or the fabric in the filter, which have holes millions of times larger than the size of oil and gas molecules, can mechanically filter oil out of the gas lol. It's like making a loop with your arms to pour water through in order to filter it :crazy:
Regarding the 500i, I'm running 40:1 Motul 800 offroad (run 32:1 in all my regular carb saws). I remember there were issues at 32:1 with mtronic/autotune saws with these heavy, thick oils, so I'm a bit scared to using 32:1 in 500i. The injector hole seems to be pretty big so this shouldn't be an issue, but I'll still ask here to find the answer. I like more oil, I've seen enough noisy bearings with way too little hours on them ran at 50:1 (either way, 40:1 might be more than enough with this oil, but hey, there's a reason why I'm on this site lol) :chainsaw:
@Mastermind Worksaws What mix ratio do you tell your clients to use for this particular saw? Do you think Motul 800 at 32:1 might be too thick for the injector?
Too thick for the injectors is non sense.

Too thick for the injectors is non sense.
I respect your opinion bwalker, in regards to your knowledge on the subject in general, so this has a heavy weight in confirming my decision. In retrospect, I already switched today 32:1. A bit more spooge when limbing at the beginning but nothing substantial as it was the case for my 261 (could be the computer not getting the tune right at first), but once that was done and the big trees were down and bucking started, the saw ran great. A fine gray-brown "powder" inside the muffler was visible after about 5 tanks. All I care is for the main bearings to last, and rolling friction sure likes oil VOLUME, no matter the QUALITY of the oil.

I respect your opinion bwalker, in regards to your knowledge on the subject in general, so this has a heavy weight in confirming my decision. In retrospect, I already switched today 32:1. A bit more spooge when limbing at the beginning but nothing substantial as it was the case for my 261 (could be the computer not getting the tune right at first), but once that was done and the big trees were down and bucking started, the saw ran great. A fine gray-brown "powder" inside the muffler was visible after about 5 tanks. All I care is for the main bearings to last, and rolling friction sure likes oil VOLUME, no matter the QUALITY of the oil.
Spooge is typically caused by poor tuning and low loads. With that said it drives me nuts as does an overly rich motor. None of my motors be it power equipment, bikes, or sleds spooge regardless of ratio.

Spooge is typically caused by poor tuning and low loads. With that said it drives me nuts as does an overly rich motor. None of my motors be it power equipment, bikes, or sleds spooge regardless of ratio.
Explains why everything cleared up once real load was laid out on the saw. I'm just "scared" by this relatively new technology regarding fueling, even if I understand how it runs there's so many variables I don't know. But my fears might not be based on reality after all. Feels good that the real world use confirmed a positive outcome. :p As you said, it's not about the ratio, it's the jetting/tuning. Sad that so few people get this in general and "tune" spooge by increasing oil ratio.Yikes.

Latest posts

Back