STIHL MS 500i Oil Mix Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is actually you spreading the old wives tales, then projecting as a defence of it, there are a thousand microns in a millimeter, and the data shows measurements to 3 decimal places below a millimeter optimal just means and adequate amount where anymore is just wasted, having the bottom end swimming in oil is total waste when the oil film thickness only has to be microns thick, the bearings don’t need that much , read the data and understand it before running off on a typical rant of the forever ignorant,
And a meter is 1 million microns. Wohoo... Mate, the articles talk about MINIMUM film thickness, minimum! As in the minimum requirement for the systems to not fail instantly. Nowhere in there says to not use more than that, on the contrary even. In real life use, nobody plays games of staying on the edge. At least I know I don't, not with my money. Oil is cheap, my time to work and replace bearings isn't.

As far as emmisions go the unburnt fuel is of much greater concern than oil.
Regardless we now have emmissions compliant saws that don't out out anywhere near the emmissions of the old stuff.
Yet another straw man.
Actually you just gave the straw man response , 2 stroke engine emissions are high in carbon particulates & all sorts of nasty byproducts, the more oil you burn the more are produced, it’s not rocket science.

Actually you just gave the straw man response , 2 stroke engine emissions are high in carbon particulates & all sorts of nasty byproducts, the more oil you burn the more are produced, it’s not rocket science.
No, they are high in unburnt hydro carbons. And naturally low in NOX.
And as I said much cleaner now.
Oil isn't the source of emmissions in a two stroke anyway. It's unburnt fuel spewing out the exhaust port due to transfer prt/exhaust port overlap.

The overwhelming majority of those particles come from the gas being burned ineffectively in a 2 stroke (the 2 stroke designs of chainsaws and bikes at least). You think these ester oils like motul 800 smoke? Mate, this thing needs alot of heat to even vaporize, and even then it cleanly burns. You get many times more nasty things by jetting just a hair richer than needed than going 0.5-1% more oil when going from 40:1/50:1 to 32:1. I don't know why you're so stubborn

Really ? I’m thinking your oil religion has had the can kicked out from under it
It seems like you're the one with baseless assumptions regarding it. I wish I could run a drop of oil in 1000l of gas if it was up to me, less mess involved. But I can't, and never will be able to, and it's fine. Because physics dictate specific things regarding lubrication, and more is better up to a point. And no, that point is not 50:1 no matter the oil :) There are gains seen even up to 16:1 on specific loads, the reason why I use 32:1 is because it works with my usage, and based on empirical evidence and discussions I had with multiple mechanics. And reading on here from other builders' experience, and 2 stroke bike rebuilders on thumpertalk, it also confirmed it. I'm talking strictly ball bearings here. I have no doubt the piston would be fine at 100:1 if the engine is jetted right, for most normal use, as sliding motion requires way less lubricant. This is probably where you're confused about

My old 090 stihl with roller bearing mains needs half the oil of my ball bearing main saws

Attachments

• 9B3478B3-390D-42A5-BFBD-8D4900635D15.png
    9B3478B3-390D-42A5-BFBD-8D4900635D15.png
    376.7 KB · Views: 13
It seems like you're the one with baseless assumptions regarding it. I wish I could run a drop of oil in 1000l of gas if it was up to me, less mess involved. But I can't, and never will be able to, and it's fine. Because physics dictate specific things regarding lubrication, and more is better up to a point. And no, that point is not 50:1 no matter the oil :) There are gains seen even up to 16:1 on specific loads, the reason why I use 32:1 is because it works with my usage, and based on empirical evidence and discussions I had with multiple mechanics. And reading on here from other builders' experience, and 2 stroke bike rebuilders on thumpertalk, it also confirmed it. I'm talking strictly ball bearings here. I have no doubt the piston would be fine at 100:1 if the engine is jetted right, for most normal use, as sliding motion requires way less lubricant. This is probably where you're confused about
You have it back to front and have obviously never blown a saw up, the piston seizes first before the bearings , therefore the piston requires more oil , sliding friction is greater than rolling friction

Did you know that a 20mm bore ball bearing needs no more than 1 millilitre of oil per minute to be lubricated more than enough? The minimum is 0.5 millilitres per minute?
What load is on it? What's the rpm? What are the temperatures? What amount of use time? By your data, a saw running 25 minutes on a 500ml gas tank would need a 20:1 ratio to provide 1ml of oil a minute to be lubricated, based on your numbers. And you have 2 bearings, so 10:1 :crazy: For 0.5 milliliter you would need 20:1. Also cut out all the oil that goes straight in the combustion chamber and you'd need even more for the bearings to have enough. Lol. Use case my friend, stop throwing numbers around just for the sake of it.
sliding friction is greater than rolling friction
Never said it's not greater, the motion is different and it has different requirements. You're just guessing, it's irrelevant; studies and real life use cases prove what I say.

What load is on it? What's the rpm? What are the temperatures? What amount of use time? By your data, a saw running 25 minutes on a 500ml gas tank would need a 20:1 ratio to provide 1ml of oil a minute to be lubricated, based on your numbers. And you have 2 bearings, so 10:1 :crazy: For 0.5 milliliter you would need 20:1. Also cut out all the oil that goes straight in the combustion chamber and you'd need even more for the bearings to have enough. Lol. Use case my friend, stop throwing numbers around just for the sake of it.

Never said it's not greater, the motion is different and it has different requirements. You're just guessing, it's irrelevant; studies and real life use cases prove what I say.
Let's do a quick calculation from the above graph on a ms660, bearing bore is 17mm , that requires a minimum supply of oil in the range of 40mm3 to 20mm3 per hour, double that for two bearings takes it to 80 to 40mm3 per hour , which is 1.33mm3 to 0.66mm3 per minute minimum oil consumption , a tank is 825000mm3 of fuel mixed at 50:1 which is 16500mm3 of oil will last around 12 minutes at WOT full contestant load, which is 1375mm3 oil consumed per minute , which is greater the minimum amount needed for the bearings, the bearings could handle a mixture with 10X less oil than a 50:1 mix and still be above the lowest recommended range of lubricant supply .
The bearings speed in the graph is simply the limiting factor of 800,000 / by the average of the inner and outer race diameters , which is over 20,000 rpm
So to sum it up ball bearings need SFA oil and roller bearings need half as much SFA again.

Latest posts

Back