Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually already pulled the carb, inside the intake looked clean and no washers to speak of. I double checked the fuel hose and impulse hose, both tight and no kinks. I raised the metering arm level by .005" and did another reset, that didn't help, nor did it change anything

My 261CM seems to be doing something similar. Bogs or stalls on the first blip after start up, then runs perfectly. Reset tomorrow...

I actually already pulled the carb, inside the intake looked clean and no washers to speak of. I double checked the fuel hose and impulse hose, both tight and no kinks. I raised the metering arm level by .005" and did another reset, that didn't help, nor did it change anything
Thats the extent of what I would do at home ........... if it was mine, the time for a trip back to the dealer has come.

Randys experience trumps all, and the forums have plenty of M-tronic "glitches" being fixxed with them carb solenoids

My dealer would just give me the carb solenoid and let me do the repair on my own (used to work for him as a snot-nosed teenager) since he knows I dont like anyone working on my stuff.

So right now my plan is to order a carb solenoid and try that. If that doesn't work then I will have to buy a new muffler and take it into my dealer that pretty much knows jack %#.. about m-tronic saws. I opened up the factory outlet on the muffler is all Ive done to the saw as far as mods.

Ok just for the sake of learning, what causes any 2 stroke to run lean for a few seconds after a long full load pull. Like Ive said before, a 385 husky did the same thing as the 661 is doing. After carb swap the saw ran fine. What was the carb doing to cause a nice stable idle and be set kinda rich on the top end 12,500 rpm then come back to idle lean for a few seconds, then idle fine again. also With that 385, if is set the idle really low, at 2200 rpm it no longer raced at idle after a full load pull

yea, the only saws Ive ever had that run perfect all the time I can count on one hand!! Those saw were the ms241, husky 372, jonnyred 2095, and a stihl ms440. Best runners of all time those saws were, the only one of those I still have is a 241

Back