stihl ms 661 or husqvarna 390xp for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get the stihl 661 just for the m tronic. The 390xp is a regular carb I think. The electronic carbs are really nice. The saws just run awesome and no more fiddling with screws :) On the other hand, the 390xp is probably lighter and close to the same power. Just get both and be done with it :). If I could have only 1 though, I would get the electronic carb. I like cool stuff and the electronic carb is definitely cool.

Wow, very nice.

FWIW, on Friday my logger buddies just got back in the area. They ran my Dolmar 7900 and 288XP Lite. They said the Dolmar was alright but really liked the 288. One said it was equal to their 660's and another thought it was stronger.

2di4sqe.jpg

fatzpt.jpg

huprb6.jpg

I don't see how you could go wrong with either saw. Both are great at everything they are designed for. I'd go for the best dealer support and best pricing. Ported I believe the 390 will be the faster saw.

wasnt bought to be used. :buttkick:and there is No offer that I would consider. I paid hundreds more to the previous owner who beat me to it, to convince him to sell it. ;)
I'd be embarrassed to admit that. o_O

As far as 661 or 390, around here I'd pick the 390 because of its track record and the dealer knows everything to know about that model. Run 40:1 synthetic.

Not many will have used both saws extensively , since the 661 is pretty new. I only have about an hour on mine, but have a fair amount of time on the 390. Both saws are stock, except for a minor muffler mod on the 390.

To me, they are pretty close, but the 661 isn't broken in yet. The 661 seems to have a slight edge in torque, even now. Stihl has definitely caught up in the AV department, as the 661 is waaay smoother than my 066 and comparable to the 390. Weight PHO is within a few ounces. I measured 16 lbs 13 oz for the 390 and an even 17 lbs for the 661; both dry. Both of mine are wrap models, and are wearing 32" bars. My guess is that the 661 will have a bit more power across the board once it breaks in more. I have both Stihl and Husky models, and favor neither in particular. I will say the quality seems a bit better on the 661, but the 390 is a good machine as well. Around here, a 661 is about $90 more than a 390 - almost a wash.

Personally, I can't imagine having a 90cc as my only saw, but that is preference. I guess I'm getting into old coot range, and usually spend most of the time behind a 50 or 70 cc saw. You really can't go wrong with either one of your choices.
yes you may be right here in utah the 661 are $1280 and found a 390xp on line at mowers for less off of fleabay for 970$ 20 inch bar including the ride to my front door

Wow, very nice.

FWIW, on Friday my logger buddies just got back in the area. They ran my Dolmar 7900 and 288XP Lite. They said the Dolmar was alright but really liked the 288. One said it was equal to their 660's and another thought it was stronger.

2di4sqe.jpg

fatzpt.jpg

huprb6.jpg
yes we all would like a 288 xp or xp light or an 064 stihl new in box however u just cant go down to your local chainsaw hub and pick one up!!!!!

Latest posts

Back