stihl ms 661 or husqvarna 390xp for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
r black

r black

STIHLAHUSQYLOVER
. AS Supporting Member.
wasnt bought to be used. :buttkick:and there is No offer that I would consider. I paid hundreds more to the previous owner who beat me to it, to convince him to sell it.
Not many will have used both saws extensively , since the 661 is pretty new. I only have about an hour on mine, but have a fair amount of time on the 390. Both saws are stock, except for a minor muffler mod on the 390.

To me, they are pretty close, but the 661 isn't broken in yet. The 661 seems to have a slight edge in torque, even now. Stihl has definitely caught up in the AV department, as the 661 is waaay smoother than my 066 and comparable to the 390. Weight PHO is within a few ounces. I measured 16 lbs 13 oz for the 390 and an even 17 lbs for the 661; both dry. Both of mine are wrap models, and are wearing 32" bars. My guess is that the 661 will have a bit more power across the board once it breaks in more. I have both Stihl and Husky models, and favor neither in particular. I will say the quality seems a bit better on the 661, but the 390 is a good machine as well. Around here, a 661 is about $90 more than a 390 - almost a wash.

Personally, I can't imagine having a 90cc as my only saw, but that is preference. I guess I'm getting into old coot range, and usually spend most of the time behind a 50 or 70 cc saw. You really can't go wrong with either one of your choices.
yes well im old to 50 now but a larger saw with about a 28 inch bar the bend over factor comes in to play and ill trade little weight for speed

tacomatrd98

tacomatrd98

ArboristSite Guru
I have both a ported 390 and a new bone stock 661. I would hands down buy the 661. I got a smoking deal on the 661 (960 plus tax with a 28" ES Light) though that most will not be able to obtain so that helps some. But, based strictly on using the saw, I personally would still go with the 661. The 661 pulls harder than a dual port 660 and is smooth as butter. It has a lot of torque and I would venture to say should wear an 8t rim for anything 25" and under just to load it more and make it easier to use. With a 7t rim you have to keep it pretty busy to keep it in the proper working rpm, or get aggressive with the rakers. The 390 never really did impress me though. Maybe my expectations were too high from all the hype I have read about them, maybe it's the port job, IDK, but I just dont really care for it. The 661 does take awhile to warm up but it's not like I grab it to cut a few twigs. When it gets fired up, it's usually making quite a few long cuts before it gets shut off, so it's not a big deal really.

mr simpel

mr simpel

ArboristSite Lurker
I was a happy hillbilly that cut fire wood with my little ms290. I'll wait till the laughter stops... Then I found this forum and realized there are way to many choices and way to little money. That's why I'm buying my lottery ticket this evening. Lol

tacomatrd98

tacomatrd98

ArboristSite Guru
A ported 390 should walk all over a stock 661, maybe even after porting.

Husqvarna 390XP Ported Chainsaw:

Stihl MS661 Chainsaw Stock:

Even ported, the 661 still has it's hands full.
Stihl MS661 Chainsaw Ported:

I don't disagree with you at all. I was expecting to be wowed when I ran it...I was more like hmmm...scratch head a little. Then went back to using the 661.

EDIT: It was NOT a sponsor who ported it btw for the curious minds.

weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Have a simple story to tell. A local logger. One of those 24-7 work-a-holic types. He came to me with a skidder crushed 660. Basically a low hour saw. SO I commenced to salvage what I could and get it back to running. BUT he needed a saw in that class right then. SO a Husqvarna 390xp went his way. At first just due to need... a skeptical buy. I got the 660 back to working condition... Then on a pass through he picked up that saw... and time went by. So a while later during a conversation I asked him if my repairs were adequate.. fearing the worst. And his response was along these lines.... a paraphrase. He didn't run that 660 any more. The 390 was his main saw now.

Latest posts