stihl MS200 vs Husqvarna 338xpt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al_

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these saws? which do you think is the best buy given the 338 is cheaper, is the ms200 worth the extra money?
Cheers Al

I am sure that most here will vote for the MS200T, but personally i am not so sure.........:laugh:

Hopefully they have worked all the ol' bugs out of the 338xpt by now.

thanks again pal ;)
what are the bugs in the 338?

also are there any other top handles youd recommend for someone just starting out?

THe MS192T is an excellent top handle for a beginner, but I would still rather run the 200T if you are able to afford it starting out. The 200T is one awesome saw for arborists.

Just Mow are you a stihl dealer by any chance??

if so could you give a price on an MS200 and shipping to the UK please mate?

Thanks, Al

Oh yeah I also need a whole bunch of other stihl stuff lol!

Last edited:
THe MS192T is an excellent top handle for a beginner, but I would still rather run the 200T if you are able to afford it starting out. The 200T is one awesome saw for arborists.

Ok,

Will you please clarify.

Is it just the price.

200t is the standard of measure for top handle saws,it is the most used and proven top handle out there.
the little dolmar top handle seems to be a nice machine,haven't heard complaints about them,I have seen husky top handles in two peices with the rubber mounts pulled apart,I know your are not supposed to pull at a saw,but one line worker said"I pulled at my 200t for years and it never came apart."
he is back to using stihl.
if you are using a top handle to make a living,I would suggest a 200t hands down,expensive,but getting out of the bucket or tree to fix a saw is more expensive.

Just Mow are you a stihl dealer by any chance??

if so could you give a price on an MS200 and shipping to the UK please mate?

Thanks, Al

Oh yeah I also need a whole bunch of other stihl stuff lol!

I'm assume you mean an MS200T (top handle), not a MS200 (rear handle)?

I work for a dealer but there is no way I can sell by mail-order, in or out of the country... Stihl's policy in North America is "over the counter sales" only. Sure, a few break it, but they probably do it in a much less public fashion than on a open site;)

Next time you take a vacation over here, buy a bunch. Where are Freddie Laker's $100 tickests when you need them?

Last edited:

Ok,

Will you please clarify.

Is it just the price.

The 192 is lighter and I think it balances better. For $300ish, it's very hard to beat what you get from that saw IMHO. I am very happy with mine and it will do 85% of what I have ever needed it for, and it's an awsome pruning saw as it it is lighter on the belt as well.
But it does not have near the power of the 200t. Mine has been mufler modded, I am half afriad to tear into it as it's so small and complex, but probably will soon enough, to see what else can be had out of it.
But hands down, the 200t is twice the saw power wise!!

ive been told the new and i mean new 338 has had nearly all the faults ironed out....the trouble ive had with 200t carbs over the last few years has put me off stihls altogether so evan though im running 2 200t's and have three spare saws in the shead i think i might give the 338 a go evan though my debut with a husky 335 was a disaster! but i think husky shuld of had the feed back now to make somthing a bit better if not on parr with the 200t.......

Al, I've use both models full time (335's & 200T/020T's) for years pruning pine trees from ground level up to 21 feet, I far prefer the husky to the stihl because the husky simply 'feels' better with it's front mounted air-filter which allows the top handle to fit your trigger hand better. It's also smoother. The huskys don't have rubber mounts as someone mentioned, they're spring mounted - the stihls are the rubber mounted ones. It's true the huskys had a few 'bugs' such as manifold and tank breather problems, they'll also suck water in in wet weather and their skinny oregon bars don't help their cause either, if you're into tweaking and changing/altering things there's no problem. Also you need to open out their mufflers to match the 200's low rev response. The 200's and the huskys are equally reliable with tough motors both. The 200's are established as reliable, no nonsense and powerful straight from the shop floor, so most pro's pick the 200, but like I said I prefer the husky myself, there's nothing a 200 can do that the husky can't do, and the husky's a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Outrageous prices down here - 200T about $1400 and the 338 about $1200. There's always the echos at about $6-700 bucks, but they're way outta the husky/stihls league..

also are there any other top handles youd recommend for someone just starting out?

I have been very pleased with the performance of the Solo 637. The MS200T is extremely popular for cause but it isn't the only viable choice. People whom I trust like the Husqvarna 338. The little Echos are not as high in performance but can be very reliable and handle quite well.

I work for a dealer but there is no way I can sell by mail-order, in or out of the country... Stihl's policy in North America is "over the counter sales" only. Sure, a few break it, but they probably do it in a much less public fashion than on a open site;)

Next time you take a vacation over here, buy a bunch. Where are Freddie Laker's $100 tickests when you need them?

What happens to them if they break the rules.:buttkick:

I have been very pleased with the performance of the Solo 637. The MS200T is extremely popular for cause but it isn't the only viable choice. People whom I trust like the Husqvarna 338. The little Echos are not as high in performance but can be very reliable and handle quite well.

How does the Solo 637 compare? Mid range?

no.. but a trusted AS member could buy an MS 200 and ship it overseas.

not sure if cost of shipping out weight cost saving vs buying local. folks have be moaning about added value taxes for sometime.

Last edited:
no.. but a trusted AS member could buy an MS 200 and ship it overseas.

not sure if cost of shipping out weight cost saving vs buying local. folks have be moaning about added value taxes for sometime.

I got an 044 for ekka a couple years ago.....shipping was low..but it took a long time, by sea.....he was hit with no duty charges......

Back