Stihl MS241c-m, push the buy button or reconsider?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link

Gone fishing
Reaction score
Well, as someone else wrote in here; I live in "small wood ville", and most of the time my Dolmar 5105 is like shooting sparrows with a cannon.
Also I get exhausted pretty quick jumping around the bushes with it, so I tend to use my small lightweight hobby saws 99% of the time.
I love my small and lightweight hobby saws, but ofcourse I've been wanting a more serious saw to depend on for years - and for years to come.

So whot ye say; push the buy button or consider something else?

If you can get a 241CM, absolutely push that button. They still on the shelves in your country?

They stopped marketing them in the states, they just never sold very well next to mid size saws of similar price.

Really great saw though, a lot of fun to use, and doesn’t add much to operator fatigue. Peppy response, buttery smooth antivibe, and I’ve had zero problems with the M-tronic.

Well, as someone else wrote in here; I live in "small wood ville", and most of the time my Dolmar 5105 is like shooting sparrows with a cannon.
Also I get exhausted pretty quick jumping around the bushes with it, so I tend to use my small lightweight hobby saws 99% of the time.
I love my small and lightweight hobby saws, but ofcourse I've been wanting a more serious saw to depend on for years - and for years to come.

Go man, go get it.

If you can get a 241CM, absolutely push that button. They still on the shelves in your country?

They stopped marketing them in the states, they just never sold very well next to mid size saws of similar price.

Really great saw though, a lot of fun to use, and doesn’t add much to operator fatigue. Peppy response, buttery smooth antivibe, and I’ve had zero problems with the M-tronic.
Yes I guess over at your side of the pond most people would go for a 261 at about the same cost and with only a small weight increase, and with the added torque and power that comes with it. Well here in smallwoodville they are advertised at every Stihl dealer all the time, so very much alive and kickin' over here it seems.

I've looked at it for about 2 years now, there really is'nt much alternatives if you want a chainsaw with a magnesium casing in the 40cc class at that weight. There is the Dolmar 420 but its not that much lighter than my 5105, and there is the Husqvarna/Zenoah 543 but its not quite as lightweight as the 241 and it have not been equally popular for some reason it seems. Echo have the 390esx and I allmost bought one at some point but I wasnt completely happy with how it felt in my hands, I guess some like pork and some like cattle on their dinner plate.

Anyway, I did push the button.
And there is something about that nice young lady who drives her little red postal van all the way to my door for the delivery, I don't mind her being a little late for christmas.
yougotmail.jpeg

Buy an Echo 390 and sell it to me!
Not sure that nice young lady who drives her little red postal van all the way to my door for the delivery would drive it to you as well - and that's half the treat.
But of course, if I wanted to see her many times... :surprised3:
I have not seen the Echo 390 so much at the web shops around here lately, but I see a lot of advertising for the 501. And it makes sense, I think both the seller and the buyer looks at those numbers and most people would go for the little more weight and considerable more power.
From my point of view it looks different; I know that I don't need more power and I would prefer even less weight than any of these saws already are.
What I was not entirely comfortable with the Echo 390 was that I'm used to the very solid rear handles on the Husqvarna's and Dolmar/Makita, and I felt the rearhandle on the 390 a little flimsy in comparence. Other than that I really liked it alot.

@t.k I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you run the 241. I think it outcuts it's 40cc size. I run a 16" bar with the 3/8 picco chain on mine and it rips. Good luck with it.
Thank you Farmer Steve, I have fondled with it in the store a couple of times so I know I like it in my hands, but obviously I have never tried one.
I'm really looking forwards to start using it as soon as it arrives, I have plenty work ahead of me towards the spring. I guess it outcuts my Makita 3200 at least :hi:

You will love it. It is my go to saw.
Forget cc look at the HP rating on it compared to some 50 cc saws.
It will surprise you.

I love my MS 241. It is a very snappy saw with a 16 inch bar. I nick name it wildcat.

You gotta stop this, I am already drewling :sweet:
It comes with a 14" I think, a little less reach but I'm not that tall so it'll be alright, it should not make it any less snappy at least.

You gotta stop this, I am already drewling :sweet:
It comes with a 14" I think, a little less reach but I'm not that tall so it'll be alright, it should not make it any less snappy at least.
Thought of you today soooo. A quick file job and off to the woods. 2 buckets full on a tank of fuel.
20211223_133324.jpg20211223_142154.jpg

As far as am aware that saw is discontinued, they will be for sale as long as stocks last.
And Makita / Dolmar are making no more petrol saws after early next year, so avoid those too.
Echo make the SX390 which is a light saw, maybe not popular in your area.

As far as am aware that saw is discontinued, they will be for sale as long as stocks last.
And Makita / Dolmar are making no more petrol saws after early next year, so avoid those too.
Echo make the SX390 which is a light saw, maybe not popular in your area.
At Stihl Germany there is absolutely no indication that they have stopped making or selling the 241.
https://www.stihl.de/de/p/kettensaegen-motorsaegen-ms-241-1902#c-m-1902It makes no difference to me however - I got one ;)
If you thinking about getting parts for it I can still order original Stihl parts for my copycat 038/381, so I don't worry too much about that.

Other than that Makita have officially said they will stop selling petrol saws, but they don't say anything about Dolmar - which is still a separate company name.

The Echo 390 is a sweet saw, tenacious and with a high chain speed. Very nicely shaped aluminum front handle bar too.

Latest posts

Back