Stihl MS250 for $299.00 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, if I could buy an 026 for $150, I'd be all over that. Around here, a pretty well beat one goes for $250. Nicer ones start around $300. Might be a regional thing.
Been seeing 025's, 026's, 028's, 029 Supers, 034's under $200 in the last 2-3 months.
Just bought an 044 off Craigslist that I guy wanted $275 for traded him my 025 & a barely running Sachs Dolmar 116si!
Here's an example below! :dizzy::crazy2:

http://cookeville.craigslist.org/tls/5789609846.html
Stihl chainsaw - $175 (Baxter, Tn.)

00909_amP2wxCh0w9_600x450.jpg

Just picked up my 16" Stihl chainsaw at Gentry's Power Equipment serviced w/fuel hose,fuel filter & sparkplug replaced. Carburetor cleaned, diaphragm replaced & adjusted. Compression was good. All systems are "go" for a new owner at $175.00 obo. Thanks for looking.
P. S. I have the repair invoice in hand.

It comes back to a brand spanking new MS250 for $299. It will probably outlast me the way I take care of them and it will only see the smaller stuff as I love to cut with my MS441! The MS441 gets a little heavy cutting higher up small branches. Also I do like cutting with the MS180, but again, for the increase in power for $299, I think I'm in for owning one. I have people lining up to buy my 180, all I did was put the word out at work it was for sale. Wish I had a couple more to sell.

@deepwoodbigbear I'm a certified arborist and tree climber. Avoid higher-upping your cuts and keep the power head close to your hip. If you really need to go up and have the awareness to do so without being thrown off balance, the 440 has a longer reach. I hope you're not using a ladder, which is very dangerous for me even as a professional. I don't use ladders except to access a roof.

If you are climbing, the ms250 is a fully professional saw used for blocking down 18" diameter spar wood onto rigging, bombing 18" diameter limbs without rigging, and taking 18" diameter crane picks.

At the base of a tree, you can drop a 36" diameter tree with an ms250, but the accuracy will be sh*t.

Do not get the ms250 c-be stihl homeowner saw. Instead, learn how to check and adjust chain tension throughout a work session using a scrench. The c-be is a hawt mess - it tends to slack the chain while cutting. It tends to break at the plastic tension adjuster. It's hard to put back together when the chain comes off.

As with all saws (and especially those that sit for weeks and months), use a gas additive to protect rubber gaskets and other parts from the ethanol in modern gasoline.

Buy the dealer, not the saw. Dolmars are great. I have one with a 61cc powerhead. I have no closeby dealer. It sucks, and the dolmar sits. It has a throaty growl and rips wood when it's working. It is also not quite as finely engineered as my stihl saws. It is more like a forester saw, imho. I love dolmars, but I use Stihls. I would use huskies, echos, and jonsereds. Everyone knows that modern saws are great. The price of the saw is not the main issue. It's the price of sustained ownership of the saw. Buy the dealer, not the saw. Make sure the dealer is close, and good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Since I do my own work I could care less about where the dealer is but I agree to not buy the CBE model, just buy a conventional saw without the easy start and without the toolless adjuster, you don't need any more headaches than you already have, at least I don't...

I think you are thinking of the MS260 for a professional model. I believe the MS250 is a farm/ranch saw and I am fine with that for my need. I have a bigger pro model for the big wood.

And no I don't use a ladder like the poor saps on funniest videos and youtube.

I do my own service and repairs on my saws unless it would be warranty, but I have never had a warranty issue yet. My dealer is great and has most everything for saws he sells in stock. Their reputation is first class.

So I'll probably pick up the MS250 this weekend.

I think you are thinking of the MS260 for a professional model. I believe the MS250 is a farm/ranch saw and I am fine with that for my need. I have a bigger pro model for the big wood.

And no I don't use a ladder like the poor saps on funniest videos and youtube.

I do my own service and repairs on my saws unless it would be warranty, but I have never had a warranty issue yet. My dealer is great and has most everything for saws he sells in stock. Their reputation is first class.

So I'll probably pick up the MS250 this weekend.
It's definitely the ms 250 I'm referring to. There's probably nothing wrong with the ms 260, but I haven't seen one on a pro crew yet. The 250 is dependable, probably slightly cheaper, and does everything you need until you jump up to the 28" bars of the ms 400s series. A good pro setup is a 250, a 400 series, a 661, and a 200t (and perhaps a 150t and a pole chainsaw). I've run the 025 and two free-to-me 260 c-be saws. The 025 melted, and the other two won't die. I'm in the process of hooking them up to a milling bar to try to rid myself of them for a profit, lol.

I have a cs490 and my FIL has an ms 250 neither one is a bad saw. I'd buy the echo again. The 250 sits unless were both cutting at the same time. I'd like to run a 421 but I'd rather punch the local domar dealer then buy a saw from him.

I have a cs490 and my FIL has an ms 250 neither one is a bad saw. I'd buy the echo again. The 250 sits unless were both cutting at the same time. I'd like to run a 421 but I'd rather punch the local domar dealer then buy a saw from him.
Ha!!! The only Dolmar dealer near me is also a complete douche nozzle! I wouldn't mind punching him too.

I think I'll get my dolmar out and troubleshoot it this weekend. Sure would like to have it back in the lineup...

New
I have a cs490 and my FIL has an ms 250 neither one is a bad saw. I'd buy the echo again. (The 250 sits unless were both cutting at the same time.)

Does that tell anyone anything... Steve

New
I have a cs490 and my FIL has an ms 250 neither one is a bad saw. I'd buy the echo again. (The 250 sits unless were both cutting at the same time.)

Does that tell anyone anything... Steve
To clear things up his 250 was the only saw we had for 3 years. Never failed to start or cut wood. The 490 just better built and cuts better as it should being 50cc vs 45.

Thanks for the input guys. I really don't like the local Echo dealer and Home Depot is an hour away. No Dolmar dealer anywhere close by. Husky and jshred, I've had them and they are ok for over priced Poulans. My local Stihl guy is great and I can trust him, any thing you buy from him is fired up and ran right in front of you. Never seen that at a big box store. As u can tell I'm a Stihl guy and tomorrow I'll probably buy the MS250 and be very happy with it.

To each his own.

Haven't you got the MS251 in the US? Stihl is presently running a promotion on 1143 saws (231, 251 and 271) here.
I've been running a 231 for small and odd jobs for a few years now and I've been very happy with it so far. Sure, I wouldn't mind a 241 or 261 for those same jobs, but they are so damn expensive and the 231 has always done well.

Keep your money local as much as you can. Support your local dealer and buy the made in USA Stihl. Your dealer buys his groceries and gas local just like you.

When "dealer" would come into the business I worked for, they had to have a discount because they work for so and so. No discounts the other way. Full retail on everything, and service leaves alot to be desired. Would be nice to have a good one nearby.

Back