Stihl MS250 Promotion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was with my buddy today and he bought a brand new 251 for $310 from a dealer in Virginia. Got a free plastic hard case with the saw as part of a promotion.

Hey Mikey. I see you're in Highland Lakes.....I'm Jim, the guy on Rte 94 in town that does chainsaw carvings. I have 4 ms250's all set up with different bar/chain combos. Most are running 1/4" chain. If you want to test one out before you buy feel free to stop in when I'm open. They are great durable saws with plenty of power for their size. In my experience these saws are more durable and long lived than many "pro" saws. I beat the heck out of them when carving and they just keep going.
Hey Jim!...
Is that you down in McAfee on Rt. 94? You have some beautiful items there. Did you carve up at Pennings in Warwick? I'd love to stop in and talk face to face; what's a good day / time for you?

Yup. Thanks for the compliment:). That's me in McAfee and at Pennings. ...and before that I was set up at the Rickey farm on the other side of Vernon. I've been carving full time in the area for almost 20 years now. I'm usually open Friday, Saturday and Sunday as long as it's not rainy.

I bought one at the beginning of the promotion knowing full well it was a homeowners saw. I think for what the saw is it's a great little saw. Little bugger rips. I bought it for limbing and found myself using to fall small trees. Longevity will only remain to be seen. Hard on tools, maybe not so long, general use and take care of tools I'm sure it'll last.

Just have to realize what the saw is and it's designed intent.

I sold 2 for $150 each. No way I would pay $300 for one JMO. $200- $229 should be their cost new IMO.

One of them I sold for 150.

ms250redneckfuelline006_zps30a7291b.jpg
OK, I'll tell JJ that my 025 went out the door for $150 cash along with a pair of chains. Nobody else is allowed to read this. The saw ran perfectly and I hated to part with it.

Thanks all for the input / information about this saw. Special thanks to Jim @Chainsaw10. I visited his place on the way to my dealer, saw his saws and listened to his take on the 250. He had four there, along with an assortment of other Stihl machines. The 250's are used the most, and have been in HARD service for several years each. After the visit, I had no second thoughts pulling the pin on a purchase. So far, just cutting some kindling and some pallets, I am happy.

And, Jim has some absolutely beautiful carvings. I could have spent (and probably will spend) a fortune there on some of his more "off beat" renderings.

Thanks again.

My first saw was an 025 I bought new in 1999 or 2000. I still have it today and still use it for limb work. Here it is sitting next to my latest steal of a deal.image.jpeg

Npw
My first saw was an 025 I bought new in 1999 or 2000. I still have it today and still use it for limb work. Here it is sitting next to my latest steal of a deal.View attachment 459898
A friend needed a good saw. He now has my 025 that I used for years. I have a pair of o26 PROs and I cannot run three saws at once. Regardless, it is hard to say good bye to an old friend. I am sure that you understand that.

I got an email promotion offering 60.00 off this saw, making it $299. new.

Not wanting to start a heated discussion, and knowing that this saw is a homeowner grade saw, and reading reviews / opinions that are somewhat more positive than negative... and just because I want to add a Stihl to my small stable of Husky's, would this be a decent saw to use for light work. It would be added to Husky 365 24", 353 18".

Again, I don't need this saw... just want to have a Stihl.

I think it's redundant with a 353....

16" bar with picco chain makes a 250 a little ripper. Open the muffler and tune to 14k.
Just so the argument doesn't start, yes there are better saws out there. But I still love my little 250.

I agree.. Picco 16" and a muffler mod and they do well. I think the Picco deals better with the marginal oiler too.

You have no use for a MS250 when you have a 353 - it isn't that much lighter, and is much lower quality.

Exactly.

All of that said, I enjoy any good running saw. I had an 025 with Picco and a muffler mod that I really enjoyed. Alas it went down the road as you can't keep them all. I am currently rebuilding an MS250. Again.. they do OK for what they are. Keep the chain sharp and keep the oil tank full. Also watch the clutch side doesn't get too much build up in there. If you don't the bar pad area will melt and deform making oiler efficiency poor. Wish there was a stainless bar pad like other saws for these on the case side. The oiler is the weakness in the saw in my opinion. Parts are plentiful though...and don't be scared to run a Picco / 3/8 LoPro setup.

Not true. The MS251 has been out since 2013. The MS 250 will still be in production in 2016.

Maybe in the US (Virginia Beach), but it was discontinued a while ago here. Model changes (on models less than 70cc) generally happen later in the US than here, as there is another factory to tool up.

Anyway, the model is in the process of being replaced by the heavier but hopefully nicer MS251.

...and don't be scared to run a Picco / 3/8 LoPro setup.[/QUOTE said:
.....even better set it up with some 1/4" chain. It will cut much faster and smoother than .325 or 3/8 loPro. I've got an old Stihl roller nose 1/4" 14" bar that I don't use anymore(I just use hardnose carving bars). Mikey....let me know if you want it, I'll never use it. I've got plenty of 1/4" chain rolls on hand , I can make up a chain for you too. You'd just need a 1/4" sprocket.

...actually just checked, it's s 16" Stihl 1/4" bar I have on hand. I forgot ....haven't used it in about 10 years or so.

Maybe in the US (Virginia Beach), but it was discontinued a while ago here. Model changes (on models less than 70cc) generally happen later in the US than here, as there is another factory to tool up.

Anyway, the model is in the process of being replaced by the heavier but hopefully nicer MS251.
Ms251 is heavier with less power= not nicer. Besides I'm pretty sure they all come with a tool less chain tensioner. I wish I could fly over there and let you try my masterminded 250. Might even put a smile on your face:) At least make you giggle a bit.

Latest posts

Back