Stihl ms250c vs. Echo CS-510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not one of the "BIG" names in chainsaws. Most on here think of them as the junk that the homede-pot sells, although they do make better stuff, just not sold at HD.

:cheers:
Mike

Lowes sells Husqvarna, but a lot of people love them. i guess its like the earlier poster said, every company has good saws and bad saws.

Thats the problem with echo saws. The only way to get any power out of them is to do modifications. Get the 250

It takes a whole 20 minutes to mod the muffler and pull the caps and tune right and the 510, 520 and 530 will cut close to twice as fast as a 250. Maybe you ought to try one that runs right. Stevwe

By the time you are done modding an echo to get it to run like a real chainsaw I will already be done cutting. Mine run fine, I don't use echo.

So you're basically saying you have nothing to base a comparison on?

You won't have to mod the Echo to make it cut good. Just tune it, you would want to check the tuning on any used saw you buy anyway. Same time invested for either of the used saws. The Echo will outlast the Stihl simply between those two models. That is not putting the Stihl down. I've owned run and been inside several of each of those saws and the Echo is hands down the better saw in every regard, just the way it is.

Mr. HE:cool:

You will not be disappointed anyplace with the Echo CS-510. They are pound for pound the best of the modern Echo saws. No need to mod one anyplace either, but they do respond well to opening up the muffler a tad.

As with any other peice of power equipment from any manufacturer, tune it EXACTLY for the fuel you use, weather, altitude, etc.

We just finished a big commercial job a few days ago, taking out about 50 trees total, from about 10" in diameter to just over 24".

The three saws that saw the most use on this job were the Echo CS-360T, Echo CS-510, and my closed port Husqvarna 55.

We used the Husqvarna 181 to take down the biggest trees, and cut up trunks. The smaller saws did all the limbing.

I attached a pic of my helper Nathan with his favorite saw from my line-up, the little Echo CS-360T. It flat ROCKS, and we've been running the crap out of it for quite some time now, and still no "death rattle"!....LOL....Cliff
attachment.php

both are for sale near me. Stihl they are asking $175, supposedly brand new, needs chain, 16" bar. Echo is like new (I've seen the pics) 20" bar, good chain, asking $200.

-------> http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=126180 <--------

I emailed the seller and he told me he is keeping the chain because it fits another one of his saws. He couldn't remember if it was a 16" or 18" bar. Is an 18" too much for the 250?

No bar & chain?:monkey:

OK, the seller of the ms250 just emailed me a said if I come today, he will sell it for $150. I just want to make sure I am buying the better saw. For some reason I feel like a Stihl is better than an Echo, but I feel like THIS Echo (CS-510) is better than THIS Stihl (ms250). I dont want to have buyers remorse and I cant buy both. Not sure if I should wait to find a Stihl I really want? Someone has a used ms290 for $285, seems a little high to me, not sure bar size.

OK, the seller of the ms250 just emailed me a said if I come today, he will sell it for $150. I just want to make sure I am buying the better saw. For some reason I feel like a Stihl is better than an Echo, but I feel like THIS Echo (CS-510) is better than THIS Stihl (ms250). I dont want to have buyers remorse and I cant buy both. Not sure if I should wait to find a Stihl I really want? Someone has a used ms290 for $285, seems a little high to me, not sure bar size.

Dude,you asked, you've been told, if you are sincere get the Echo for gods sake!!! REJ2

To be sensible, echos do have their place, at the bottom of the heap, but that's not important right now, to prevent yawn inducing boredom setting in, save a bit more cash for something with a bit of zing to it, go second hand on a decent 026/260 and rig the echo up as a milkshake machine or egg-beater instead, that'll suit it's power output a lot better.. :pumpkin2:

Interesting, as usual.

One of our CS-510's was loaned out to a good friend. He was using an 028 Wood Boss at the time. He shelved the Wood Boss, and ran the Echo for several years and absolutely loves it. He claims it has more power everywhere than the Stihl, and uses less fuel to do the same amount of work.

We've had ours in service since 2003, and haven't had the first issue with it anyplace. We just cut up over 50 medium to large trees with it on a job in Delaware Ohio, and it never wimpered once. The saw ran for a day and a half, and as always, was a favorite among the workers on site....right behind the little Echo CS-360T, which logged another half a dozen tanks thru it and still hasn't developed a "death rattle"!:clap:....LOL....Cliff
attachment.php

Echo's are known for their longevity, dependability, and easy starting. Best warranty in the business.
They wouldn't warrant their new saws for 5 years if they weren't dependable.

:cheers:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the positive feedback about the Echo, not so much the negative bashes. I am leaning toward the Echo as it is well priced and has a 20" bar, newer and in great shape.

The guy who is selling the MS290 I mentioned a few posts ago called me just this morning. He is actually a guy I went to high school with. He told he the saw is maybe 10 years old or so, he bought it used so he didn't know the exact date. It has an 18" bar and relatively new chain. He said on a scale between brand new and beat to s**t, its condition would fall in the middle. He was asking $285 but told me he would like to get $260 (maybe I could get it for $250). So now it seems I'm between these two saws.

The echo is still newer better condition and larger bar and cheaper. I guess if I buy it and don't like it I could always resell it. But how does a 290 stack up against a 510? Does this change things?

Back