Stihl MS261C-M, justify my purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordaholic495

Reaction score
I had an MS290 that somehow managed to cook a crank bearing. I have parts on the way and will be fixing it and selling it. In the meantime, I just got what I think is a decent deal on a new MS261. Paid list price of $610 but got a case and 6-pack of oil thrown in with it ($75 value). I cut about 20-25 pulp cord (50-63 Face cord?) of 5-18" hardwood a year for my Dad at least, and now that I just bought a house it will be going up to heat my garage. I got it with the 16" bar since I have an 18" I can steal off my MS290 (It will fit, right?). Also, I'm 21 and would like to have a saw last most of my lifetime, hence the pro saw option.
Does this seem like a decent purchase or did I go way overboard for my needs?

Thanks!

Edit: Added the "C-M" to title

Make sure you keep the clutch drum bearing greased , very poor design . I greased mine every time I sharpened the chain and it still failed .

I have 'heard' of needle bearing failures on ms261/361's but I think they are a bit over exaggerated. I've had 2 made in Germany ms261's & 1 USA made ms261 and put 100's of hours on them. While I grease them on occaision I've never had any issue with them. I am not calling anyone a liar just sharing my experience.

I never saw 1, What is different on it ?

I bought two 261's new in 2012 , after one weeks work I noticed a rattle from the clutch area , stripped it and found some melted plastic where the bearing should be . Checked the other saw and found it it a similar condition.
I returned both saws to my dealer who told me it was a common problem with the 261 and said the fix was to swap the rim sprocket set up for a spur and fit a new bearing , this was done and the saws were returned to me .

Having lost a bit of confidence in the saws I started to check the drums every other day , within a couple of weeks play was starting to show despite greasing , low and behold after about eight weeks both saws bearings were again worn out . The dealer then said it was a bad batch of drums causing the problem and replaced the parts again , the saw I was using failed again after only two weeks , this time it needed a new crankshaft . It was fixed for free under warranty but by that time I was sick of them and sold both . The dealer told me they had numerous failures with cranks/clutch drum bearings .

I gave Stihl the benefit of the doubt and bought another one in early 2015 as I was told the previous problems had been rectified , within a couple of months the clutch bearing was again failing , I swaped it myself for an Oregon steel cage bearing which was a big improvement , but just in case , I traded it in against a 461 in the October. I don't know if it was only UK saws that were effected , but I can tell you it put me off 261's for life .

I bought two 261's new in 2012 , after one weeks work I noticed a rattle from the clutch area , stripped it and found some melted plastic where the bearing should be . Checked the other saw and found it it a similar condition.
I returned both saws to my dealer who told me it was a common problem with the 261 and said the fix was to swap the rim sprocket set up for a spur and fit a new bearing , this was done and the saws were returned to me .

Having lost a bit of confidence in the saws I started to check the drums every other day , within a couple of weeks play was starting to show despite greasing , low and behold after about eight weeks both saws bearings were again worn out . The dealer then said it was a bad batch of drums causing the problem and replaced the parts again , the saw I was using failed again after only two weeks , this time it needed a new crankshaft . It was fixed for free under warranty but by that time I was sick of them and sold both . The dealer told me they had numerous failures with cranks/clutch drum bearings .

I gave Stihl the benefit of the doubt and bought another one in early 2015 as I was told the previous problems had been rectified , within a couple of months the clutch bearing was again failing , I swaped it myself for an Oregon steel cage bearing which was a big improvement , but just in case , I traded it in against a 461 in the October. I don't know if it was only UK saws that were effected , but I can tell you it put me off 261's for life .

Damn, is anyone else having this problem? Has this happened to Stihl's newest model 261? (The 10.8lb Version 2) I'm pretty well locked in on one of these as my 50cc class saw, because of all the problems I've been reading about with the Husky 550.

Thanks

I know of one chainsaw instructor who had a failed bearing on a 261 after a few hours work, but my 241 seems ok,fingers crossed

Sounds like a weird problem. I believe the bearing no more then takes up space but at idle speeds when the hub and chain is not turning.I suppose if the cage is plastic, excessive heat could melt it and the bearings fall apart. If it were run to long afterward I could see the crank being damaged. Sounds like it could be a cheap quality China bearing starting the problem. Normally doesn't take much lube to keep the bearing slick and cooled.

Well I have 2 tanks of fuel through it just felling and limbing and so far I love it. It's so light compared to that MS290 or the 041 I used to use. So far so good, fingers crossed here too!

The needle bearing failure is an old one. There was supposed to be a batch run without greasing the needle bearing. Those were the models which had a problem. But as soon as it was recognized there was a message to all dealers to check and grease all bearings prior to handing over to the customer. At least that was the situation in the german speaking community that I am aware of.

Thats what i heard as well,the instructor checked all 6 brand new 362cm saws that the SES(state emergency service ) had brought along to the course,and all bearings were dry.

Damn, is anyone else having this problem? Has this happened to Stihl's newest model 261? (The 10.8lb Version 2) I'm pretty well locked in on one of these as my 50cc class saw, because of all the problems I've been reading about with the Husky 550.

Thanks

I have had issues for a couple of years with them. I am a natural areas contractor who uses 10 ms-261 saws for around 3 months out of they year. I do all the service my self and I replace needle cage bearings and rim sprocket bearings all the time. Some of it is operator error from they guys slamming the break on, and not knowing what to listen for etc. Sometimes they just go bad by them selves no matter what you do. Roll the dice..

I'll never again buy a homeowner saw. It is just too dangerous trying to harvest dead trees on steep slopes and there are any problems with the saw.
I would love to have that saw, your purchase will last a long long time from what others have to say bout the quality of that saw.

I'll never again buy a homeowner saw. It is just too dangerous trying to harvest dead trees on steep slopes and there are any problems with the saw....
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with homeowner saws from quality manufacturers. Homeowner saws have the same problems from the manufacturers as the pro line. If you have problems, they are very often user error.

Back