Stihl MS271 crushed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife already signed off on the MS261 purchase. My issue is that I don't throw stuff away and I don't want to have to store all these MS271 parts for the next 50 years. Not to mention next time I drop a grand at the Stihl store I would rather get a bunch of stuff I don't already have - Like more trimmer attachments.

The trick to get the flywheel off worked wonderfully. Backed off the nut a thread or so, held up saw by flywheel, smacked socket on flywheel nut with a hammer. Popped right off. I sat the flywheel on the table and it was not bent in regards to the flat base on the bottom. I got to looking where the cam mated up to the flywheel and it doesn't look good.

I had a hard time getting a decent picture but you can see an indention in the flywheel at the key slot where the cam was "pressed" into it.

0wMZgw9.jpg

9CVezjr.jpg

That and the fact that the engine turns over relatively easily has me thinking that a new flywheel will correct the issue. I ordered a new pullcord assembly with side cover used on ebay along with a used flywheel. Both set me back around $50.

I'll know in a week where we sit. Worst case I'll have to get a camshaft I think.

VdzB3G2.jpg
I would say flywheel is fine. I dont see nothin out of the ordinary.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I always keep a old worn out bar and chain behind the seat, and if I get the saw snagged, I unbolt it from the pinched bar and chain, and pop on the old bar/chain to cut and free the good bar/chain. Also keeps the saw out of harm's way.
Thats why fallers keep a spare saw out in their quarter, cause you are going to get stuck sometimes. I used to work with a guy called Ricky "pinch bar" Williams
He would get stuck everyday...

Looks like fracture lines on the right side in your pic. Good luck on the repair.

I think those are a casting defect called a vein. If it is a positive sticking up from the surface, I would not worry. If it is indented into the surface it would probably be bad.

I smooched a brand new 2100 with little hours on it. I waited for my dealer to get a donor saw. It was my first case I split. It wasn’t pretty but it ran like new. A $150 donor saw plus gaskets, seals, few parts.

Last tree to make a full load, rushing, tired at the end of the day. The large tree spun, bound the saw up, took it out and bounced 4’ up on the saw a few times. Most of the space age plastic survived the magnesium didn’t the crank, intake, cylinder were ok.

I'll know for sure about the repair this weekend. I ordered a flywheel, new starter plastics, and a new bar/chain. If this gets it going again it will definitely be cheaper than a new saw. Currently I've got a tree felled in the front yard that needs to get chopped up. :D

Sorry about the camshaft/crankshaft word swap. I know the difference. I actually built a digital cam profiler a year or so ago. It was pretty neat. Arduino controller hooked up to an encoder and a pair of digital calipers. The idea was to work backwards to find out what the cam profile was on a chinese imported cam for my go kart. Long story short I ended up putting a carb so oversized on the 150cc engine it didn't have enough velocity through the intake to draw enough gas at WOT. I still haven't recovered from it. Buggy is sitting with a 30mm intake, head ported for 30mm, with a 24mm carb. Brand new pumper carb is unused since I can get more fuel out the 24mm. :(

I bought new OEM pull-off parts off ebay. Not sure why there are so many parts available that are new but without retail packaging. Bars make sense but why are there so many flywheels pulled off brand new saws, unused?

Anyway, I think I'll be about $150 in parts for the new flywheel, new side cover with starter rope assembly, 20" stihl bar and chain. I couldn't find even a dilapidated saw for less than $300.

I bought new OEM pull-off parts off ebay. Not sure why there are so many parts available that are new but without retail packaging. Bars make sense but why are there so many flywheels pulled off brand new saws, unused?

Anyway, I think I'll be about $150 in parts for the new flywheel, new side cover with starter rope assembly, 20" stihl bar and chain. I couldn't find even a dilapidated saw for less than $300.
Hint, chainsaw wrecking yards, certain members in this thread is/was a chainsaw wrecker....LOL

Latest posts

Back