Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Compression Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I bought a brand new Stihl MS290 Farm Boss back in 2011. I haven't used it much. It has always been very hard to start as the engine's compression rips the pull start cord out of my hand when I give it a yank. There is no decompression button on this saw but it sure seems like there should be. In watching videos of other people starting their 290's they don't have the problem I have. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Don <><

Take out the plug and see if it looks wet. Pull the rope and see if any fluid/mist comes out. Make sure the switch is in the off position.
Thanks Harley. I've already tried that. Everything seems fine with the spark plug out. And naturally the start rope pulls very easy with the spark plug out. But with the spark plug in, I can't pull the rope without it snatching the rope out of my hand from the compression. It seems like this thing just has way to much compression!

OP here. Now it seems to pull normal, and once in awhile it pulls really hard. I think I've got to get the piston in just the right spot before I really yank on it. I haven't used this saw very much. I just love and use my little Stihl MS-170 for 99% of what I do with a chain saw. So I guess I'm just use to how easy it is to start, compared to the MS-290.

OP here. Same problem as before. I can't pull start this thing. This is basically a new saw as it has less than 2 hours on it since I bought it new back in 2011. It rips the pull start cord out of my hand. If no one can give me any advice, I'll take it to a Stihl dealer.

Thanks guys,

Don <><

Pull flywheel to make sure key is not sheared.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

The saw has good compression coupled with an ignition that's a little advanced and they will kick back some. I think it's part of being made on an assembly line, not perfect. I've got a 390 that's like that but it runs so well I think I'll leave it alone...You might be able to fiddle with the carb adjustment and lessen the effect...

Hi Guys. I bought a brand new Stihl MS290 Farm Boss back in 2011. I haven't used it much. It has always been very hard to start as the engine's compression rips the pull start cord out of my hand when I give it a yank. There is no decompression button on this saw but it sure seems like there should be. In watching videos of other people starting their 290's they don't have the problem I have. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Don <><

Hi Don,
Stihl MS-290 Chain Saw - Compression High Problem
When I attempted to start my Stihl MS-290 Farm Boss Chainsaw, the compression seemed way too high. All I got was
a thump between pulls. Thinking I has a serious problem, I pulled the sparkplug and it pulled fine. Pulled the
muffler and checked the interior as best I could (no problem there) watched the piston move up and down, no fluid
of anykind there. Took off the flywheel bold to check the keyway, it was fine. I was satisfied that the mechanics
of the piston and travel were ok due to the sparkplug when removed allowed the engine to rotate normally, I set it
on the floor and put my foot on the handle and pulled it (like a madman) 12 to 15 times until it started. It blew
smoke for about 30 seconds and all was fine.

I alway store it horizontally, use Stihl oils and oil/gas mix. Don't really know what was in the cyliner to cause
the problem but guess it was gas mix or chain oil but I don't see how chain oil can get anywhere near the combustion
chamber.

What really clued me on the "keep pulling" trick was that when I first noticed the problem, I was pulling it and it
had about 5 pulls where it was free again before becoming hard again.
Hope this is of some help. It really had me going for a while. :)

your problem is you gotten older and dont have the same snap in your arm as you did when bought it (i see it all the time and all the time they deny they are getting older (weaker)
the cure for 95% of people is installing elesto start handle and rope from stihl part # 1128 190 3400 and kicking problem will almost go away and its only $25.
buy the original stihl one, the knockoffs dont last nor reduce the kick as well.
you can take saw apart and check this, check that, but you wont find a problem-

How about changing rears. The recoil rope sounds like it is binding in the spool, When this happens you are loosing all the mechanical leverage thereby causing your problem. When you pull the plug the resistance is gone . The rope should wind upon itself. If it does then you have the normal leverage and it pulls normally. Ken

Latest posts

Back