Stihl MS291 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwoell14

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought the MS291 11 months ago. It's my first saw and I'm learning a lot from it as I got. Yesterday, I taking down a tree about 20 inches in diameter and it got really hot and cut off. I let her sit over night and cleaned her up and she still won't start today.

Being Labor Day, no shops are open. Any ideas on what it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the MS291 11 months ago. It's my first saw and I'm learning a lot from it as I got. Yesterday, I taking down a tree about 20 inches in diameter and it got really hot and cut off. I let her sit over night and cleaned her up and she still won't start today.

Being Labor Day, no shops are open. Any ideas on what it could be?

\
Pull the muffler and look to see if the piston and rings seized up. Sounds like it!

Sounds like it scorched the piston from overheating.
How do you know it got hot?
A dull chain really bogging it down for an extended amount of time, and then running out of gas at the same time could possibly lean it out enough to start break down the lubrication of the piston on the exhaust side enough to glaze over the rings.
Was anything blocking the airflow at the starter housing? ie; clothing, leaves.
Had anyone adjusted the carburetor or removed the limiter plugs to adjust beyond the normal limitations?
If none of the above apply, then I'd see about a warranty issue.

A dull chain really bogging it down for an extended amount of time, and then running out of gas at the same time could possibly lean it out enough to start break down the lubrication of the piston on the exhaust side enough to glaze over the rings.
Had anyone adjusted the carburetor or removed the limiter plugs to adjust beyond the normal limitations?
Make sure you clean saw. Pull top cover and be sure to blow out crud. Generally good about warranty repairs but don't leave anything to chance. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I know it was hot because it was hot to touch.

I'm pretty good about sharpening the chain although I will say I am probably not the best at chain sharpening yet.

I use Stihl 2 cycle mix. Only on bottle 2 of the 6 pack I originally bought.

Nothing blocking airflow.

No modifications whatsoever. Using it just how I bought it from the dealer.

Make sure you clean saw. Pull top cover and be sure to blow out crud. Generally good about warranty repairs but don't leave anything to chance. Keep us posted.

Thanks. I did that first before getting to the shop to find they were closed.

Dump your fuel from what's left in your saw into a clear container.
See if it's got water that settles on the bottom or if it's cloudy.
If there isn't any, that doesn't mean that there wasn't any. It may have all gotten sucked up and burned through the engine, and thus, the evidence is gone.
Usually the last bottom bit of your fuel can is what will be most likely to contain water condensate.
There is enough humidity present in the air in Fla to absorb into the alcohol in fuel. If it reaches a high enough percentage, it will separate and drop to the bottom of the fuel tank.
This alcohol and water mixture will be burnable, but will not contain oil, as it won't mix with the water.
The fuel pickup is also at the bottom of the fuel tank in a saw, so it gets sucked up all at once.
If you have a fuel can in Fla that's been sitting for close to a year, chances are there is some small percentage of water dissolved in the fuel. How much is determined on where it's stored, what kind of container, and how much it's opened, or vented. Not to mention, what quality the fuel was to begin with.
Stihl recommends mid-grade fuel in their saws.
That's just food for thought....

If you want to have it repaired under warranty don't do anything to the saw to void a warranty. They first look for any excuse to void the warranty. (mainly YOU)

Clean it up and take it in for repairs and take it too the same place you bought it new if possible and your receipts and your written complaint and ask for the manager. Just tell him you cannot get it started. (and that is all the info they need)

Tell them you need it tomorrow and if not ready by tomorrow give them a call and tell them you need the saw or a replacement to get a job done ASAP..

If you want to have it repaired under warranty don't do anything to the saw to void a warranty. They first look for any excuse to void the warranty. (mainly YOU)

Clean it up and take it in for repairs and take it too the same place you bought it new if possible and your receipts and your written complaint and ask for the manager. Just tell him you cannot get it started. (and that is all the info they need)

Tell them you need it tomorrow and if not ready by tomorrow give them a call and tell them you need the saw or a replacement to get a job done ASAP..

Thanks for the advice. I'm here now. Unfortunately, I'm in Central Florida. There was 20 of us in line waiting for them to open. Hurricane Irma panic has arrived.

I bought the MS362CM. Tell me your thoughts, please. Good or bad, it's a done deal and can't be returned.

The shop was 2 weeks behind on service and couldn't guarantee it'd be repaired before the storm or that they would know the problem before the storm.

Considering all of that, I didn't want to buy a saw comparable to what I already had. If/when it's repaired, I'd have 2 of almost the same saws. So, I went bigger and got the 362. If/when the 291 is repaired, I'll have a medium and medium-large range saw.

Very nice. I really like mine it is version 1 not 2. I'd recommend getting at least a couple spare chains right away

Thanks for the advice. I'm here now. Unfortunately, I'm in Central Florida. There was 20 of us in line waiting for them to open. Hurricane Irma panic has arrived.

Good Luck to you. From what I have seen on the news about IRMA I think I would load up them saws, my guns, fishin poles and huntin dogs RIGHT NOW and make a fast exit and not let my shirt tail touch my behind until I was maybe in Arkansas area. Do not go towards Houston, Tx.

That is a big un comin at you!

LOL that is exactly what NOT to say. You want the dealer on your side not against you. Its the entitled customers that make me cringe!

Latest posts

Back