Stihl ms310 and ms390 - Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobR45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello from eastern Indiana! I would like to get your opinions on a couple of models that Stihl produces. My brother-in-law has recently moved to a property that has many opportunities for using a chainsaw. He has a lot of potential firewood on the property, and he also has a fireplace that he has been burning a lot of wood in. He would definitely use the saw a little more than the average "Joe Homeowner". How would you rate the Stihl ms 310 and the ms 390?

I currently am running a Husqvarna 455 rancher, but I was a little hesitant in recommending this model because it is somewhat heavy for the amount of power that it has. It has been a pretty decent saw, but I think that the Stihl brand might be the better way to go - especially because they tend to have a better dealer network/assistance. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Rob

they are the same as the ms290 (which is the stihl "equivalent" to your 455)
but with more displacement, so better in the power/weight argument.

good bang for the buck, but you'll get tons of other options in short order.

can't go wrong.

if he's got a decent hunk of land, he might want 2 saws, a 50cc and a 70cc.

otherwise, seems like the ms361 or maybe a husky 359 are a popular "one saw plan".

Last edited:
They rate as ol'reliable and good saws. Both the 310 and 390 are exactly the same as the saw you don't want to recommend to your BIL - heavy for the power they produce. Both are old saw designs in regards to power, weight and AV.

Look at the newer saws like the 270/280/361/441 if you want a Stihl.

:agree2: Stihl has a homeowner and pro models. If doing more than the average spend some extra bucks and get the pro model. the 361 is a great saw for what it sounds like your looking for. Dont let the numbers fool you.

the 290/310/390 series are gravity-reliable. not glamorous. yes, heavier than advertised (close to 14lbs PHO w/clutch cover). the vibes have not been a problem to me. they respond very well to a muffler mod. easy to re-sell.
the 361 is a better, nicer saw, pro-grade saw. it is also about $170 more than a 390 at the local dealer. that is some good change to me!! that said, if your budget will permit, i would go for the 361. i have never run a 270/280 so i can say much about them. i did pick up a 359 a few weeks ago and, for a former stihl-diehard, i will say that i think i like it better than my muffler modded310. i will know when i have a chance to open the muffler on it and stick them in some wood.

Last edited:
muff modded 310 runs like a stock 359.

i have both the 310 and 359 for power they seem farly close in stock form 359 alittle more. but for feel the 310 is a turd compared to the 359. vibrates much much more.

also stihl recomends 16-20" bars on the 310
husky recomends 16-24 on the 359

359 compares more to the 390 and 361

359 turns into monster with a muffler mod while the 310 only wakes up alittle bit but i dont run the 310 near as much as the 359 because its heavier and doenst have the balls like my 359.

also my 310 leaks a tank of fuel on the floor now, its fairly new and i have to tear into and figure out why the tank leaks all the fuel kinda pissed me off.

Last edited:
I was in the same situation the last month. I have been trying to figure out what to do and all these different forums and opinions were driving me crazy, I couldn't make up my mind.

I ended up looking around and found two used saws. I got an 028 (electronic) and an MS 310 that is two years old. Got both saws outfitted with new Stihl bars and chain for $400. I really wanted an Ms 361 but at $600+ I was a little hesitant.

I just went out Monday and cut 3 chord with my brother, dad, and a friend. After 5 hours of cutting this was my observation. The 028 or similar size saw was great for the smaller stuff. With a good full chisel non safety chain it cut straight through dead white ash like butter. I put a 16" bar on the 028.

The ms 310 got outfitted with a 20" bar and it cut through the big stuff we had. I put it through the paces with my buddies ms 361 w/a 20" bar and I couldn't really tell the difference. I sawed up a big log almost 40" across with really no effort. I was very pleased with the ms 310 and its performance. The 361 did cut a bit faster but I can live with that small of a difference for the price.

I will add this though. For cutting smaller wood the 028 with the smaller bar was a lot less strain on the back. I switched back and forth all afternoon to run both saws through their paces. I'm glad that I bought the smaller saw because I wouldn't want to cut all day long with a big saw like the 310. If you are not opposed to buying used I would look into that. There lots of good deals out there right now. There is a guy by me selling an MS 440 28" bar (2 spare chains and case) with 2 tanks of fuel through it for $450.

Good luck

also stihl recomends 16-20" bars on the 310
husky recomends 16-24 on the 359

I wouldn't put too much stock into what a manufacturer recommends. If Stihl put 16-36" on the MS310 tag, would that make it a saw capable of the longer bar or just make the uninformed consumer think that it is that much better of a saw?

Around here the 390 is $470 and the 361 is $620. If I were the OP, either stop at the 310 or pony up the extra $200 for the 361.

I realize this thread may be a bit dated, but I was searching for 310, 361 and husky 455.

I'm ditching the Husky 455 Rancher. Just too many starting probs. Should've went Stihl instead of now double buying.

So now I'm trying to decide 310 vs 361. Most of the stuff at my place would be fine with the 250. I don't do firewood. Problem is my old parents place. They are up there in age so I run up there frequently to help them out and they are always having trees come down. Most are up to 8" but it's not all uncommon to get an 18-24" down. All we do is cut up sections small enough to hook to the pickup to drag further back in the woods. Think it's worth the extra 170 for the 361? Prob either way I'd run a 20" bar.

I would go with the 310 if it were me. Especially for what you are using it for. Since I got my 310 three months ago I cut 18 face chord and I love the saw. If you buy the 310 and maintain it properly it will be the last saw you buy. Take the extra $170 and buy a 16" bar and two spare chains for both the 16" and 20" bar and you will be all set for many years. Unless your cutting big stuff the 20" bar gets in the dirt too much IMO. Good luck!

I realize this thread may be a bit dated, but I was searching for 310, 361 and husky 455.

I'm ditching the Husky 455 Rancher. Just too many starting probs. Should've went Stihl instead of now double buying.

So now I'm trying to decide 310 vs 361. Most of the stuff at my place would be fine with the 250. I don't do firewood. Problem is my old parents place. They are up there in age so I run up there frequently to help them out and they are always having trees come down. Most are up to 8" but it's not all uncommon to get an 18-24" down. All we do is cut up sections small enough to hook to the pickup to drag further back in the woods. Think it's worth the extra 170 for the 361? Prob either way I'd run a 20" bar.

95% of the "starting problems" are not the saws fault. Your prolly flooding the saw. If you buy a 361... you will prolly do the same thing. Lots of people for some reason have problems starting that saw. So it's not brand specific...

The 361 is a great saw... but you can save that 170 bucks and get a very reliable new saw. Heck the 455 you have is good for your intended use. You might just need to learn to start it.

Gary

Either saws would meet his needs and will run probably longer than wood that he has to cut on his property. Alot of these guys make a big deal out of the little bit of weight difference between these and the 361 but most of them carry a saw 8-10 hours a day every day. I would say the 390 with 16'' and 25'' bar would be a good match for him.:cheers:

it's last week again, again. search my post for 310. either will last years for what you want, though the 361 is a bit nicer. $170 worth??? that's your call.

Take it easy Mabel. I did read several of your posts and yes I saw that you drilled out your muffler. I specifically pulled up this thread because it was the same exact question I had. Does that present a problem?

Opinions change over time, so I was looking for someone that made the same decision and how they still feel about it. Case in point is this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1098672&postcount=4

8 months ago the person states "I modded my 310 too and am very impressed with the power gain. It's like a whole other saw. Would'nt dream of replacing it." Yet the 310 is no longer even in his sig, but a 361 is.

it is last week again, and the weed bf, and the week bf........nothing against your question........we have mentioned this and similar questions about the 290/310/390 and 361 be stickied.

welcome aboard.....you will have more than one saw if you hang out here long.

i have opened my muffler even more. the two slots across the bottom of the muffler are now about 5/16" and the smaller holes are opened to the point where there is only a sliver of metal between them. the saw keeps getting better.
the 361 is very nice, but a 310 can be made to cut with a 361(stock). one thing you can modify is the weight......

Last edited:
After using the 361 for a few hours yesterday and a few more today, I'm now convinced I made the right choice. thanks all for the feedback. Now all I have to do is avoid this place before I feel a need to buy a few more lol.

Take it easy Mabel. I did read several of your posts and yes I saw that you drilled out your muffler. I specifically pulled up this thread because it was the same exact question I had. Does that present a problem?

Opinions change over time, so I was looking for someone that made the same decision and how they still feel about it. Case in point is this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1098672&postcount=4

8 months ago the person states "I modded my 310 too and am very impressed with the power gain. It's like a whole other saw. Would'nt dream of replacing it." Yet the 310 is no longer even in his sig, but a 361 is.

What can I say man, I HAVE CAD!!! And have had it long before I found this site.:cry: I think I need a shrink but I will settle for a beer, it's been a while! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back