Stihl MS361C - new to me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseShoeInFork

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had a MS290 for about 8 years and just picked up this very slightly used MS361C. It has a 20" bar but I want to cut some larger red / black oaks for firewood. I would like to hear what size bar you would recommend and chain type. Any issues I should be aware of with the 361?

rsz_ss.jpg

My "361" loves a 20" bar but has run my 25"
uploadfromtaptalk1409685306873.jpg

D/P muffler made a big difference!
uploadfromtaptalk1409685411708.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409685411708.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409685411708.jpg

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

My MS361 will pull 20" full comp, full chisel in oak and other hardwoods with ease. I haven't yet tried a 25" bar on the MS361, only because I have an MS461. I'm fairly confident, the MS361 would pull the 25" bar with full skip and probably full comp if needed.

That is a minty 361,,,,very nice. 20" b/c with full or semi-chisel should be about max. There are no issues that I know of. It needs at least a muffler mod IMO.
The US version apparently does - and it did help a little on my Euro one as well.

If the wood is clean, I would recommend LPX or RS chain, if it is "dirty" RM or DP(X).

I would prefer to step down to an 18", or even a 16" if the size of the wood allow it - but each to their own ......

I had two 361's... After owning a 562xp, it would be really tough to go back.

I guess they're decent saws, but severely underpowered in stock form. Nice saw you've got there, though!

What about the dual chain brake set up? Is this a pro / con or really doesn't matter?

Con all the way - but I didn't want to mess up this thread by posting about it. It even can be dangerous, if you get used to it working, and it suddenly doesn't. That has been known to happen.

You likely can live with it, but never trust it!

;)I love my 361. It would have to
be an improvement over a 290. I run a 20 with rs chain. Have run a 25 with rs in green hardwoods when 056 was down. Thats plenty but you can get by. I don't have any ported saws YET, so I'm happy with the power. Never run a Husky so I don't know any better. Nice lookin saw.

;)I love my 361. It would have to
be an improvement over a 290. I run a 20 with rs chain. Have run a 25 with rs in green hardwoods when 056 was down. Thats plenty but you can get by. I don't have any ported saws YET, so I'm happy with the power. Never run a Husky so I don't know any better. Nice lookin saw.
Don't get me wrong, I like Stihl's. But, if you like your 361... don't run a 562xp. :laugh:

Seriously, though. The OP bought a very nice saw, definitely an upgrade from the 029/290. I'm sure it will serve him well for many, many years. :)
I would definitely recommend a muffler mod and a retune on that particular model of saw...:chainsaw:

361 is a super good saw. Very happy with 18" 3/8 bar in anything . Respond very well to a muffler mod . The only negative I have with the 361 is it's prone to flood if you miss the pop. Saw has lots of power for a smaller medium size saw and the av on it is pretty good . Do yourself a favor and pick up a extra av mount that goes from the too handle to the cylinder it will break if you tug on the saw .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

361 is a super good saw. Very happy with 18" 3/8 bar in anything . Respond very well to a muffler mod . The only negative I have with the 361 is it's prone to flood if you miss the pop. Saw has lots of power for a smaller medium size saw and the av on it is pretty good . Do yourself a favor and pick up a extra av mount that goes from the too handle to the cylinder it will break if you tug on the saw .

That "issue" is real easy to avoid. Even the faitest sign that it wants to start should be handled as if it was a "pop", and never pull more than 3 times on choke, before trying at "fast idle".

Don't wear hearing protection when cold starting it.

Back