Stihl ms362 / ms362c Ignition Module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenChainsaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I just got a 362c Stihl chainsaw with a 20" bar in a "fix r up" state for a cheap price. The ignition module does need to be replaced. Now, I know the offical part number is 1140 400 1302, but what I am wondering is if anyone knows (for a fact) if another non-oem / aftermarket ignition coil will work in this saw? If you try to do a google search nothing comes up for the 362 as far as ignition aftermarket goes, it seems it literlly doesn't exist. There may be timmers, etc with same ignition, but I would prefer not to have to re do the boot, etc, so basically if someone knows if a non oem ignition module exists for the 362/362c, I'd appreciate any information you can give me. I'll buy the stihl one, I just really don't want to. Thanks.

It has been verbally tested. I shouted a bunch of obsentities to the saw, and it refused to start. I even tried pulling the rope.

Actually, the person I got it from told me he thinks the module is shot. He had one in there and one day nothing...now the thing is, this module thats in there is NOT a genuine Stihl part. It looks like its a generic one for a 361. So based upon the pre-sale info, and by actually pulling old module out and confirming it's not the "correct" module, it needs to be replaced--that and the boot/internal spring is gone, and the end is pretty bad looking (multiple holes, etc). So I would rather replace it with a known module that with work with a 362/362c generic or <sigh> genuine Stihl part 1140 400 1302.

The standard 362 and 362C ignitions are different as the 362C is the m-tronic saw. The part number you have is the correct one for the carb'd 362. The ignitions are unique to the saw in this case and not interchangeable with anything else I know of.

yeah, I kinda figured I would have to bite the bullet and buy OEM. Hopefully one of the local dealers will have one in stock. I bought the saw for about $80.

What are the saw's serial numbers?
It's in the truck, don't want to get it out, right now. But I think its around 10-15 years old. It has a new piston and cylinder kit some kind of "big bore 49cc kit". Fairly clean, although it the trunk smells like like gas from the chainsaw, no leaks I can tell. Just wanna see if it fires up after doing the nessessary repairs. Prev owner always rite ratio oil and gas he told me. When I got it, full of gas and chain oil, which was a good sign. Also gave me some sort of grease/oil stick I no nothing about. I can get the serial later if you really want it.

*or maybe it was called a big bore 49mm kit, sorry

C means its an M-tronic. Whole different animal. Any chance you can get any photos?

Yep, but they don't have any B,E,F or Q's so generally if it has a 362C on the side it's an M-tronic or a 362-C recoil made it onto the saw. Sure way to tell is a photo of the carb.

Latest posts

Back