Stihl MS391 with a 25 inch bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my 039 primarily for bucking up firewood logs. Front heavy weight doesn't even come into play at all. The saw zings, especially with RSC chain.

I had oiler issues on mine as well. Almost ground on the screw but just bought a new oiler. Even though the old oiler seemed fine just not enough oil to me, the replacement oiler is great. I get plenty of oil now.

I really believe anybody who bad mouths a MM'd 390 has never actually run one. It definatley has nothing to be ashamed of running next to an 036 pro. I think one of the best kept secrets would be to buy a smoked 029 cheap and put the 390 kit in it, and MM it.

:taped:

View attachment 283002

Buried in white oak my stock 362 will pull a 25" bar but not well. I recently got a skip link chain but have not tried it yet. I'm hoping for improvement. The 25" is seldom needed/used.

View attachment 282904

This saw with a 390 in it ran half a day the other day with a 25" b/c (cutting Birch and Alder) with no heating or oiling problems :msp_wink:

Oh; I forgot to mention I"m using RSLFK

I've used several brands and types of chains but I like how the chips clear with RSLFK better :msp_wink:

What are your thoughts on this purchase? I have a ms211 and ms290 now. Thought about selling the ms290 to get this,

The power to weight ratio of the MS391 is really bad, and I fail to understand why anyone would want a plastic cased "homeowner" saw that size.

I am sure a 25" could be used in a pinch though, with skip chain - if the oiler copes with it.

I'd even put a well tuned MM'd 039 with a good RSC chain against a 044/440 any day with same bar length. I have a few for comparison and there really isn't enough difference to brag about. Fact. One built better/more durable? Up for debate in my book.

Im your huckleberry.
In the spirit intended, talking junk, I have run the 039 with a 25" and its a fine unit.
I will use the 440 and spot you 3", I will keep my 28" on.

The power to weight ratio of the MS391 is really bad, and I fail to understand why anyone would want a plastic cased "homeowner" saw that size.

And I fail to understand exactly why it's so taboo to have & use a homeowner saw. These poor saws are spoken of as if they are the plague. What other saw weighs 13lbs. with that power for about $500 brand new with warranty? If it lasts as long as my junker 029 (still strong & dependable at almost 20yrs. old) then it's well worth every penny. The 390 fits my purpose perfectly, regardless of how it's labelled for marketing.

As I remember it, the carb size isn't the main issue with the MS390?

Whats wrong with changing carbs on saws ?

I'm always trying different things with all my saws; if you don't try different things life is to boring

I haven't had any problems with this saw after modding it (you know simple mod's) hour meter show 22 hours on it and I've been making changes to it all the time

You have to run saws for awhile so you can know the difference between stock and modified chain saws

Just like when I buy new saws I use different brands so I know which one to buy

I'm not color blind that's why I have 4 different brands of saws

And I fail to understand exactly why it's so taboo to have & use a homeowner saw. These poor saws are spoken of as if they are the plague. What other saw weighs 13lbs. with that power for about $500 brand new with warranty? If it lasts as long as my junker 029 (still strong & dependable at almost 20yrs. old) then it's well worth every penny. The 390 fits my purpose perfectly, regardless of how it's labelled for marketing.

There only bad in someone eyes :msp_ohmy:

Whats wrong with changing carbs on saws ? ....

Nothing wrong with it in general, actually I think it is "underrated" by many - but I suspect the top end porting and the muffler are the main obstructions on that specific saw, as the carb already is ample size for the cc, as I remember it?

Last edited:
Bigger carb? Why so? I thought a muff mod & richer adjustment was about all you could milk out of them.

I just like trying different things

Like I was talking to another member on AS here in PM's

He has done a bunch of carb work on his 390 I liked what he was saying and he could feel the difference when using it so I'm going to try some more different things to make it feel more like my 044's

Heck there putting MS 460 and MS 440 carbs on MS 261

PS: we talked about other things also :)

Last edited:

the 039 was billed as a mid range saw and is a nice unit for what it is. Mid range.

I just like trying different things

Like I was talking to another member on AS here in PM's

He has done a bunch of carb work on his 390 I liked what he was saying and he could feel the difference when using it so I'm going to try some more different things to make it feel more like my 044's

Heck there putting MS 460 and MS 440 carbs on MS 261

Just like for example, taking a 289 ford motor out and dropping a 351 under the hood

Okay I spelled this out for the Troll in another thread and he never responded but here's the short version. The weight difference according to Stihl's book shows the [email protected] and the [email protected]. I guess that 1 pound is a real killer for some.
Horsepower is 4.4-391 and 4.6- 362. I'm definatley not saying the Farm series are PRO saws but they are RELIABLE and cut VERY well. Matter of fact the reliability of my crappy 029 has led me to use all Stihl saws and weedeater.

To the OP, this is going to end up as a pissing match, but you will do fine with a 25" bar!

Back