Stihl MS391 with a 25 inch bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I spelled this out for the Troll in another thread and he never responded but here's the short version. The weight difference according to Stihl's book shows the [email protected] and the [email protected]. I guess that 1 pound is a real killer for some.
Horsepower is 4.4-391 and 4.6- 362. I'm definatley not saying the Farm series are PRO saws but they are RELIABLE and cut VERY well. Matter of fact the reliability of my crappy 029 has led me to use all Stihl saws and weedeater.

To the OP, this is going to end up as a pissing match, but you will do fine with a 25" bar!

:taped:

Okay I spelled this out for the Troll in another thread and he never responded but here's the short version. The weight difference according to Stihl's book shows the [email protected] and the [email protected]. I guess that 1 pound is a real killer for some.
Horsepower is 4.4-391 and 4.6- 362. I'm definatley not saying the Farm series are PRO saws but they are RELIABLE and cut VERY well. Matter of fact the reliability of my crappy 029 has led me to use all Stihl saws and weedeater.

To the OP, this is going to end up as a pissing match, but you will do fine with a 25" bar!

The 039 I had pulled a 28" with no problem.

Let me explain my response some in calling Saw Troll out. I don't know him nor have any issue with him except he is always bashing on the stihl mid range saws. This is fine everybody is intitled to an opinion. What my problem with this is one he's never used one from what I gather. That's fine, but trying to constantly steer people to Pro saws may be a big let down. And that is what I'm getting at. My personal story is finally getting a PRO saw (MS660) and with good compression a 28 inch bar and FULL skip chain I can't lean on it without it bogging down. Maybe I was expecting too much. This with a 7 pin rim on it. So I spent about 3 hours this weekend modding the muffler. I'm WAY more impressed with my 390, 8 pin, full comp chisel 18 " bar so far. I certainly hope this changes. Anyway I would just hate to see somebody spend hard earned money to buy a PRO grade saw and have it not really perform any better for the average joe.

I'm sorry but I cut right along side and with the FIL's 036 Pro and if I paid the money difference based on performance I'd be hot.

Again to the OP, what you're looking at will do fine, but only you know right now what and how often your intended usage is. If you could try the mid grade and Pro saw's side by side that may have an effect on you're decision. Just remember a Pro saw isn't always the magic wand.

Majority of people that have wood stoves around here, that cut for their self's have at least one of those "Farm and Ranch" saws. As I go visit many of these people for the trade that I do for a living, I ask them how do you like those saws...".Great! No or very little issue with them". Then I ask "How much wood you burn a year?" The least I herd was 8 truck loads a year.

I had a 290 that I bought used. The state prison had it before me. In the 3 years of my ownership the only thing I ever done was put gas and oil in it, then cut wood and cleaned it up after every use. The dealer gave me a great price to upgrade to another used 310. I haven't had this one too long yet, but so far, no complaints.

I also have 2 other "PRO" saws. But I'm never afraid to get a Rancher saw working hard.

Here's the thread documenting the changes to my MS 390 by Randy Evans (Mastermind).

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/178738.htm

There's lots of "Haters" doing what they do, but there are some great pictures, and the before, and after video is at post #129. The video is shot with a 20" bar and chain in some absurdly dry hickory. However I run the 25" that came with the saw brand new around 11 years ago. This saw was built during the change over from the 039 to the 390 so it lacks a "sissy button". Not a big deal before the woods port, but now with 190+psi I have to "focus" on start up.

I had a 039 that had a 25" bar it ran fine and oiled fine.
That said it all depends if it is ocassional use or everyday.
I have an old Stihl product brochure that lists the 039 as being available with up to a 28" bar. I have an 039 and it is my favorite noodling saw with the 28" ES bar. It oils just fine. I like the length so I can keep the power head back from the round so the noodles can fall clear. For felling and bucking with long bars, I use the bigger pro saws (084, 066)

Im your huckleberry.
In the spirit intended, talking junk, I have run the 039 with a 25" and its a fine unit.
I will use the 440 and spot you 3", I will keep my 28" on.

Not saying the 440 doesn't cut faster. It's just doesn't cut that much faster, certainly not $500 faster.

Here's the thread documenting the changes to my MS 390 by Randy Evans (Mastermind).

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/178738.htm

There's lots of "Haters" doing what they do, but there are some great pictures, and the before, and after video is at post #129. The video is shot with a 20" bar and chain in some absurdly dry hickory. However I run the 25" that came with the saw brand new around 11 years ago. This saw was built during the change over from the 039 to the 390 so it lacks a "sissy button". Not a big deal before the woods port, but now with 190+psi I have to "focus" on start up.

There are a few quotes in that thread people should read :dizzy:

I have an old Stihl product brochure that lists the 039 as being available with up to a 28" bar. I have an 039 and it is my favorite noodling saw with the 28" ES bar. It oils just fine. I like the length so I can keep the power head back from the round so the noodles can fall clear. For felling and bucking with long bars, I use the bigger pro saws (084, 066)

You mean we can run bigger bar than a 15" b/c on a 60 cc class saw ?

Sorry; I just had to say that :msp_tongue:

Well we were not talking dollars. You called your shot and I am willing to take you up that's all

Believe I stated there wasn't enough difference when comparing how they cut, "...there really isn't enough difference to brag about

Use whatever makes you giggle. No point in arguing.

Believe I stated there wasn't enough difference when comparing how they cut, "...there really isn't enough difference to brag about

Great, here we go again. This is quickly becoming eerily reminiscent of another thread you recently participated in. Sans any deleted post.

I'd even put a well tuned MM'd 039 with a good RSC chain against a 044/440 any day with same bar length. I have a few for comparison and there really isn't enough difference to brag about. Fact. One built better/more durable? Up for debate in my book.

I'd love to smoke your 039 with my 440 :msp_thumbup: And yes, I do think there is enough difference to brag about. Might not see the difference if all you cut is pecker poles, but if you get into some 25"+ Locust, or Osage that's where the bragging rights will show :msp_biggrin:

I'd love to smoke your 039 with my 440 :msp_thumbup: And yes, I do think there is enough difference to brag about. Might not see the difference if all you cut is pecker poles, but if you get into some 25"+ Locust, or Osage that's where the bragging rights will show :msp_biggrin:

Now, up against my 390 with the Tennessee Tickle......................it'd be to close to call I bet. Not that it matters, seeing how we're to far from each other to settle this.

And I will use what floats my boat.
Hey looking at your signature. If need 039 parts I have a 039 parts saw. If your interested?

Now, up against my 390 with the Tennessee Tickle......................it'd be to close to call I bet. Not that it matters, seeing how we're to far from each other to settle this.

We could make some free revving videos... that should get to the bottom of it :msp_tongue:

Back