Stihl MS391 with a 25 inch bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have one rotten pine log here to do test cuts on. Do they grow rotten pine in Maryland?

Why yes... yes we do. I don't have any available though, I'd have to drive 30 miles or so to find some. But I'm willing :msp_rolleyes:

Quick!!! Bucknfeller, stash the sarcasm and caustic verbal barbs! I fear one of the numerous guests observing may be Gologit. Shhhh! Be quiet, and don't move.

I'd love to smoke your 039 with my 440 :msp_thumbup: And yes, I do think there is enough difference to brag about. Might not see the difference if all you cut is pecker poles, but if you get into some 25"+ Locust, or Osage that's where the bragging rights will show :msp_biggrin:

Now, up against my 390 with the Tennessee Tickle......................it'd be to close to call I bet. Not that it matters, seeing how we're to far from each other to settle this.

This is what I want from my 390 is to be closer to my 044's

This is why I'm always trying different things with my saws

Discussions on how long bars you can use on a certain saw model always are fruitless, as different peoples perception of what cutting speed is acceptable will vary a lot, as will the chain involved.

Also, what you can do in a pinch is very different from what you should do regularly. :msp_wink:

More power to ya H. I'm always tweaking and tinkering also but, have you ever heard the saying "You can't draw oil from a water spout" ? :laugh:

Brian,

I have an 028S that Randy fixed up for me, and it's unbelievable the difference from stock. I used it with an 18" bar, and my wee little Echo 330T to completely cut up a big pine (almost 3' diameter) tree for a widow in my church ward. Well I did have to finish off the base with my 2100CD, for grins.

Discussions on how long bars you can use on a certain saw model always are fruitless, as different peoples perception of what cutting speed is acceptable will vary a lot, as will the chain involved.

Also, what you can do in a pinch is very different from what you should do regularly. :msp_wink:

Very sage advice Uncle Niko.

Kinda like, in a pinch you can wipe your backside with two pieces of toilet paper, just don't make a habit of it.

Brian,

I have an 028S that Randy fixed up for me, and it's unbelievable the difference from stock. I used it with an 18" bar, and my wee little Echo 330T to completely cut up a big pine (almost 3' diameter) tree for a widow in my church ward. Well I did have to finish off the base with my 2100CD, for grins.

I've been having a local old timer (older than me) here showing me a few things about porting

I've been practicing on those Earthquakes and been doing a couple of my MS 250 cylinders I can't believe the difference it makes just opening the exhaust port makes a difference

One of the biggest problems I have with my saws is hitting nails and fencing staples in trees :bang:

I've been having a local old timer (older than me) here showing me a few things about porting

I've been practicing on those Earthquakes and been doing a couple of my MS 250 cylinders I can't believe the difference it makes just opening the exhaust port makes a difference

One of the biggest problems I have with my saws is hitting nails and fencing staples in trees :bang:

You're right about the ex. ports. I've been gouging at some questionable 55R cylinders in a very crude and primitive manner with my die grinder. Hard to believe the difference it makes. I wouldn't even think of doing one for someone else, or on a saw that I really need, but it's fun to play around anyway.

Always a bummer. Still not as bad as the one, and only time I loaned a saw to a doofus neighbor. He brought the saw (pre ported 390) back in it's case (nope, don't use that case anymore) without a word other than "thanks". Now mind you, I only had about an hours worth of cutting on the chain when I loaned it to him. Well, I finally got around to looking at it, and he absolutely destroyed it. It had whole cutters missing........WTF!!! It turns out he was bucking some 6-8' logs down, right on his freakin' concrete sidewalk. Oh, and when the chain got dull, he just leaned on it, he "blued" the bar rails. Never again.

That Alder is a metal magnet, seen it in a couple of big rounds, I'm thinking how in the heck did that get in there.

Latest posts

Back