Stihl MS441CRM-Tronic Ported Work Saw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I left a lot on the table inside of that one compared to a 372. I was a little scared of raising the exhaust at that time without being able to really gain some more compression.

It was a regular one I had last year. I didn't change any timing numbers in it.

Are there any ported 576AT's around, as I honestly don't want to mess with stock stuff at all or for very long, because I know I won't keep it stock, because there is too much on the table with most saws to leave them stock. So it sucks to be out cutting and know, that this could be happening faster, and still carrying the same weight saw ........ actually porting lightens the saw, LOL.

What will or have modded 576's done when compared to 372's? ............ a 576 is a strato saw right?

Officer Match, get some videos up of your modded 441CM, and keep track of your tanks through it. It would be interesting to see when the CM's "wake up".

Sam

I wasn't really planning on porting mine as it will be harder to sell if I decide to. I might get brave and do it but it will be awhile since I'm going back to work next week.

Glad you like the Stihl 441cm saw. Are'nt they amazing.

Ok guys have been playing with the 441C in a work environment this time as it will have to get used to it or pack its bags.We are on the second tank today and got into my late season Stringbark firewood, had interesting couple of hours.The more i use this saw the more i like it,its amazing how it adjusts its self as you go,in the vid you can see when i put the dogs in and push it seams to find another gear and away it goes,when you push instead of bogging down like a normal saw it gust keeps going and even increases in rpm if this is how saws are going to be in the future than i m all for it bring it on 661C.
I allso had a little experiment today i normally use Caltex Premium fuel 95 Ron Octane no Ethanol but on the way out to the bush i got some BP Ultimate Premium 98 Ron Octane no Ethanol fuel so on the third tank i used this,well it didn't like it for a min or so and then after it worked it out all was good again.So far i am very impressed with this saw and its performance.
To be continued.

attachment.php

attachment.php

[video=youtube;NvVhUR9b-Vc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVhUR9b-Vc[/video]

Nice to see you using BP Ultimate fuel aswell. It does make a difference.
One other tip I learn't ffor these saws is to retune carb after MM. This is how it is done and should also make a difference if not already done.

1 - remove chain and guide bar

2- replace chain srocket cover

3- Set master control lever to Start ie bottom setting with arrow next to it

4- Start saw but do NOT blip throttle trigger and leave to run for 60 seconds, then move trigger switch to stop. Callibration is done.

The saw carb callibrates its self in this mode and time sequence. It is inportant not to blip the throttle but to leave alone for this time period. By moving trigger to stop position, the saw's memory will remember the settings for any future start-up.

Cheers:msp_smile:

Nice to see you using BP Ultimate fuel aswell. It does make a difference.
One other tip I learn't ffor these saws is to retune carb after MM. This is how it is done and should also make a difference if not already done.

1 - remove chain and guide bar

2- replace chain srocket cover

3- Set master control lever to Start ie bottom setting with arrow next to it

4- Start saw but do NOT blip throttle trigger and leave to run for 60 seconds, then move trigger switch to stop. Callibration is done.

The saw carb callibrates its self in this mode and time sequence. It is inportant not to blip the throttle but to leave alone for this time period. By moving trigger to stop position, the saw's memory will remember the settings for any future start-up.

Cheers:msp_smile:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this.

Andrew, I talked with a guy at Work Connection and he is pretty sure he can get it to work with the Mtronic system. It will be mid week next week before I get back with them, but I will let you know if there is something that can be done with them.

Sam do you have an update on the Works tachs on the 441C ?.

No Andrew, I have been quite busy, but I will call them today and get it sorted out, I mounted my first tach on my 660 yesterday and was going to mount the rest on the 441's and call him. Yours are mailed.

I don't mind the zip tie mount, as I think it works find, but have you thought about screwing them to the mount handle? The good thing about the zip ties is if they get hit, they can move inboard a little an save themselves.

Later,

Sam

Ya i know what you mean,but it may be a good thing if they can move if knocked instead of braking them.I have cut that adhesive tape into a strip and used it down the middle seams to stop them moving around.

Its on the 22nd tank and all is well,im liking this 28'' ES Lite bar they make a very nice pair,blocking Swompgum (hard even when green) with a Carlton 3/8 .063 semi chisel skip chain and 7 pin sprocket.:smile2:

[video=youtube;GYndhgRqVLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYndhgRqVLI[/video]

Ms441c

Andrew, good video.

At 22 tanks and doing quite well I see. Have you observed any increase/decrease in mileage or change over the last 10 tanks or so? She should be well broken in by now and sure sounds good. Even at idle the sound is good!

This may sound a bit stupid but i am trying to limit the 441s use to felling only to preserve it to some degree.
As we know this saw and Johns are very rear and one offs to a point so i tend to use my stock 460 as the work horse of the family,but when i do give her a run it is a please to use and makes me smile every time.:smile2:
It has loosened up allot from new as is very free revving,can pop,spit on the rev limiter very easily if you don't keep some load on it,as for fuel use im not sure on the hrs on the Mini tach as im not home at the moment, will have to get back to ya on that.
I am definitely thinking of another one of these 441Cs ported wrap model and set it up for blocking.:rock:

This vid is on my phone so sorry for its quality,this is were these saws shine can do this all day with no vibe problems and need to carrying around a fuel tanker they make work so muck easyer and a joy.

[video=youtube;RUECVtr44_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUECVtr44_4[/video]

Just out of interest i put a 8 pin sprocket on the MTronic today,i think i will go back to the 7 pin its a little to tall for it and if you have an agressive chain then no way.
[video=youtube;_NccLVARPuY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NccLVARPuY&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

[video=youtube;gyR9ElSyem0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyR9ElSyem0&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/video]

nice one andrew i did one yesterday but had to use my sons phone (long story) but when we dumped it on the computer it is on it's side and we cant find a way to rotate it :cheers:

Latest posts

Back