Stihl people... What is all this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nipper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at Stihl Pro saws and wondering why so many different models of the same saw?

For example a MS-261 comes as a plain 261 or a 261 C-M or a 261 C-MQ

Others have a RC-M, Some just a R and others are "magnums".

Some of the other pro saws have the same designation as well. What does it mean? Why so many? Most importantly, which one would I want (or want to avoid) and why?
Grief!

Anybody have some time to explain or tell me where to read an explanation.

If you find your saw on stihlusa.com and click on it and then expand the Product Description it will explain what the letters mean.

Q - quick stop, when you take your finger off the trigger the chain quits moving in short order. Useful if your in a tree.

M - M-tronic

Dont worry about the magnum, it typically is just a sticker

Thanks!
Have no use for quick stop.

Do we like or need M-tronic?

It’s the newer computer controlled stuff. Probably is fine. None of my saws have it.

C is the “comfort” anti vibe, I believe they all have this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use to be that way, but now the C represents that the saw is m-tronic.

To further muddy the waters, the 261 and 362 both had an original version and a new lighter more powerful version 2.

I want a DEPENDABLE 60cc saw that will start when its below 20º in the winter and run when its 90º in the summer. I use it every weekend. I own a forest so I cut firewood and clear downed trees mostly good wood but some is dirty.

OK so Stihl will tell me their computerized saw is the best and will charge me more for it. Does that mean the non computer model will not be as good? What will it lack?

I bought a 362 C without the M-Tronic because I can tune my own saw just fine and I feel that the computer is one more thing to go wrong.
It has been a great saw, has a 25” Bar and I use the yellow chain. The yellow chain cuts like butter in clean wood. However you mentioned that you have some dirty wood, that will dull a yellow chain very fast. So watch out for the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The computer adjusts the carb per emissions.
The non computer model you adjust the carb.

I want a DEPENDABLE 60cc saw that will start when its below 20º in the winter and run when its 90º in the summer. I use it every weekend. I own a forest so I cut firewood and clear downed trees mostly good wood but some is dirty.

If I regularily cut when it was 20F I would want one of these:

362-2.jpg 362-1.jpg

Back