Stihl/Pferd EZ-file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Have you seen this new chain file doo-dad?

Here's the Pferd version:

https://www.baileysonline.com/Chain...ferd-CS-X-Chain-Sharp-Filing-Guide---7-32.axd

400_35448.jpg

It's basically two Pferd Chain Sharp combo chain/depth gauge files stuck back-to-back.

I just bought the Stihl branded version as a gift for my brother-in-law. It's even more expensive than the Pferd (if that is imaginable!) but I thought it would be worth it; he just got his first saw and is heating with wood, so I hope that he'll find that he can easily keep a sharp edge with this tool...

Here's a short video on the Stihl version:

What do you think?

Ive only heard good things . Im still old school though !!! Hope to hear more about it though .

I have the Husqvarna Sharp force. Its an older version with 2 files and love it. I have been eye balling the Stihl at local
Ace since I have a coupon but they don't have the size I want in stock. I get better results then hand filing.

Jeremy

I don't understand how that thins isn't the same as a hand file with a guide on it am I missing something. I think filing by hand when done with care and skill can give a pretty damn good edge. does this thing give a better edge?

Yep, better job for me!

I bought it it about a month ago, an absolute great tool! With the Tiberline, I could see that my filing wasn't very accurate! 28 or 32 degree... But with the new Stihl file, very close to 30, and the racker - just great. The thing is, I got Timberline first then the file: for light touch up - Timberline // for the bigger jobs: the new and improved Stihl.

I don't understand how that thins isn't the same as a hand file with a guide on it am I missing something. I think filing by hand when done with care and skill can give a pretty damn good edge. does this thing give a better edge?

It also automatically takes down the "rakers" at the same time that you're filing. The height for the depth gauges (rakers) is set based on the cutter height, so it seems pretty foolproof.

I have the Stihl version in all 3 sizes and it has been great! Super easy to use and the results are repeatable. My local dealer has them but they have not caught on. ( he charges 10.00 a sharpen so must don't bother ) But recently I had to get my chainsaw licence from Canada since they do not recognize mine from Germany and I brought it with me. The instructor was sold the moment he saw the results. Foolproof as Brages said

I have the earlier styled version and husky branded, like it a lot, speeds things up considerably and gives decent results. Only thing I don't like is the cost of the replacement square depth gauge files.

Does it do progressive filing on the depth gauges, or maintain Stihl's recommended .025" difference in height?

I've never seen one of these in person...

Some questions for someone that has (and perhaps who has used one)

How is the amount of material removed from the raker controlled? Is there some sort of built in depth gauge? If the chain is badly damaged can this still be used or will it remove too much height from the rakers? Is this up to the user in how the tool is held and how weight is applied or is it controlled through some other means?

I think it set to the .025 height and has rails that ride the teeth in front and back of the one you are sharpening. Works best on full comp chain, semi and full skip will be free handed. There is a lot a nay sayers but I can't complain one bit about the results.

Jeremy

The Stihl version is called a 2in1 as previously mentioned it sets the raker/depth gauge height while sharpening the cutter. The Pferd is called the CS-X. You will still need a basic flat file to keep the front of the raker/depth gauge rounded.

I really like mine. It greatly speeds up sharpening.

The Stihl version is called a 2in1 as previously mentioned it sets the raker/depth gauge height while sharpening the cutter. The Pferd is called the CS-X. You will still need a basic flat file to keep the front of the raker/depth gauge rounded.

I really like mine. It greatly speeds up sharpening.

The Stihl 2 in 1 and the Pferd CS-X are the same product, just different moulded in color.

It also automatically takes down the "rakers" at the same time that you're filing. The height for the depth gauges (rakers) is set based on the cutter height, so it seems pretty foolproof.

That sounds like the raker setting won't be progressive, as the cutters are filed back?

If not, that isn't good enough!

Latest posts

Back