Stihl Saw RECALL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was going to invest over 400 in a new saw, it would be an Echo. Those saws REALLY impress me. Good weight, nice balance, easy to start, and very reliable.

RaisedByWolves said:
I see nothing wrong with that. Nice setup.

Actually, there's alot wrong with that...just ask the few (I do mean very few) women I've had in my living room. It's not exactly the aphrodesiac a vase of roses is.

Oh well, those saws have earned their keep. I don't know a vile, no-good, heartless woman yet who has! :laugh:

fishhuntcutwood said:
Actually, there's alot wrong with that...just ask the few (I do mean very few) women I've had in my living room. It's not exactly the aphrodesiac a vase of roses is.

Oh well, those saws have earned their keep. I don't know a vile, no-good, heartless woman yet who has! :laugh:
SSSOOOOOO.................. Why hold back Jeff? Come on, tell us how you really feel!!!:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

attachment.php

Nothing wrong with this Fish..Looks good...:cheers: :cheers:

fishhuntcutwood said:
I'm actually not a woman hater. Just a hater of the way they treat you. :angry2:

Oo Oo who's got issues? How do you treat them? ...or you just haven't met the right one!:cry:
Shucks if I don't treat my fella right he'll tie my rope off on a branch so I can't get down!
Yes I climb and run chainsaws, I like your room decoration, no I don't have any sisters!

RED-85-Z51 said:
Id take a nice running Poulan WildThing...over a Shinny....

seriously.

That is just sad...but, to each their own. Everyone has their favorite brands, good experiences and bad.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Really, from what I've heard, Shindaiwa makes decent saws. But from what I've RAN, I'll stick with my Stihls.

Shinny saws may be slightly outdated, but they are built to high quality standards using good components. Look at the air-filters on the 757 and the optional pro-filter kits for the 488 and 575/577 - no other manufacturers (that I have seen) offer this. I have had great luck with my Shindaiwa machines - that is why I stick with them. My 350 has MANY MANY hours on it limbing hardwood over the last 20 years - worked side-by-side a 550 when my dad and I ran a firewood business back in Ohio. My $30 416 "parts saw" runs like a top after a thorough cleaning - started on the 3rd pull. Can't wait to get my 757 running and give a report on it.

Bottom line is, I think every saw manufacturer out there has some GREAT machines that will go in the history books! I also think every saw manufacturer has had their share of "greatest misses" through the years! As long as it throws chips and YOU like it, that is all that matters.

Great, my wife is gunna kill me when she comes home and finds a bunch of saws neatly sticking out of her dining room table. Nice display

Rotax

Four Paws said:
That is just sad...but, to each their own. Everyone has their favorite brands, good experiences and bad.

Shinny saws may be slightly outdated, but they are built to high quality standards using good components. Look at the air-filters on the 757 and the optional pro-filter kits for the 488 and 575/577 - no other manufacturers (that I have seen) offer this. I have had great luck with my Shindaiwa machines - that is why I stick with them. My 350 has MANY MANY hours on it limbing hardwood over the last 20 years - worked side-by-side a 550 when my dad and I ran a firewood business back in Ohio. My $30 416 "parts saw" runs like a top after a thorough cleaning - started on the 3rd pull. Can't wait to get my 757 running and give a report on it.

Bottom line is, I think every saw manufacturer out there has some GREAT machines that will go in the history books! I also think every saw manufacturer has had their share of "greatest misses" through the years! As long as it throws chips and YOU like it, that is all that matters.

Ill tell you what I did. Last year when I was in my Small Engine Course at the local Vo-Tech school, my teacher was very PRO-STIHL.

His favorite was a FarmBoss that we put in a new jug and piston on.

We had a large chunk of oak out back for testing. One day I brought in my Little Poulan Wild Thing. I paid 35 bucks for it new. Older Gentelman bought it, and couldnt start it, so it was never used.

It is a 42cc with an 18" Bar. I took the poulan and cut the chunk of Oak in half. IT did it quickly on the new chain, no bogging, and left a pile of matchsticks in front of it. I took the poulan in, and brought out his Stihl, and laid it in front of the pile, just as he rounded the corner. He asked me how I liked using the Stihl..
He then proceeded to tell me about how the little poulan was incapable of such a fine smooth cut...:laugh:
He then picked up the saw, and realized it was cold...:laugh: He asked me what I used...and when I told him the little Poulan, he near about crapped himself. I went and retrieved it, and let him use it, and he was thoroughly impressed. He noted how light it was, and how little it vibrated.

He liked it so much, he went to HD the next day and got one to set alongside his Stihl.

Sure, the poulan wont last 10 years, it wount take the big fancy bars, and the design of some stuff leaves alot to be desired. But it will bury the bar in a pine or oak and not give me any backtalk. IT weighs next to nothing, and is quiet.

It recieves the same rigorous cleaning that my more expensive saws get after every use.

Bermie said:
Oo Oo who's got issues? How do you treat them? ...or you just haven't met the right one!:cry:

I treat them like queens. Just ask Gary (GASoline71) how I treat them. He sat with me and my X-FIANCE' at the Sequim logging show this year. This was eight months after she dumped me, which she did two weeks before our wedding.

I've been engaged twice and left suddenly twice by two different women. They just weren't ready, so instead of working on it, they left me. I've never cheated, never lied, never ignored or mistreated, never treated them in any manner less than superb. I'm a nice guy, so I get sh#@ on. Twice I've had to come back from it all, and it hurt each time. So do I have issues? Nah, I don't think so. But I'm not once bitten, I'm twice bitten, so yeah, you could call me "shy" when it comes to wanting to deal with another relationship. :angry: Like I said before, I don't hate women, I hate how they treat you.

"Meeting the right one?" I don't think she's out there. :(

...no I don't have any sisters!

Thanks, not interested. No offense. :)

Rant done.

I need a drink...:givebeer:

Jeff

Jeff, the right woman for you is out there, don't look to hard and she'll be there. Anyways, this new guy, Red 85 reminds me of someone, and that someone is Sap. Remember how he came along all friendly and then went on a Stihl jihad? Saying all that ????e about Stihl?, I like Husky mostly myself, but I noticed similarities, had to say it.

clearance said:
Jeff, the right woman for you is out there, don't look to hard and she'll be there. Anyways, this new guy, Red 85 reminds me of someone, and that someone is Sap. Remember how he came along all friendly and then went on a Stihl jihad? Saying all that ????e about Stihl?, I like Husky mostly myself, but I noticed similarities, had to say it.

It's just that I dont like them. MY buddy owns one of the larger shops in our area, and is an Echo Dealer.

After hurricane Ivan, The Stihl Dealer turned down repairs on saws not bought from them in the weeks following the Storm.

I went up to his shop and he had whole shelves filled with Stihls with no compression, poor running, clutches slipping ,all the way to an 088 that looked like brand new. The guy bought it, and the first time he used it, he didnt let it warm up and the piston expanded so much it ate the cylinder out. Stihl denied him service, buy my buddy fixed it for him.

He has a couple Echos for repair, 1 of which had been dropped out of a tree and fell right on the bar, needed a new bar, chain, clutch. The others were just fuel line and stuff.
Had a few Husky's for general repair.
Surprisingly, only a couple Poulans.
He had a Jonsered, and a Pioneer that were pretty old and were waiting on parts.

He said the stihls broke more under general use than heavy, punishing use.

Im not saying thay are the worst saws made, Im just saying that judging by what I see at the repair shops..Stihls break alot.

When I go to the Stihl Dealer to pick up customer parts Ive ordered, all I see is saws coming in broke. In an hour, you can see 2-3 saws come in broke.

At my buddy, who is an Echo dealer, he never has more than 2-3 in the shop at a time, and Echo sells really well down here!

He said that with an echo, you should Start it cold, let it run choked for a few seconds, then let it idle for 35-45 seconds, then grdually raise the speed to 1/2 throttle, then use it normally.
He said if you do this, they last a long time. But if you crank one and start using it, it will rapidly wear internally.

With most other saws, only a few seconds of idling is sufficient, just enough to get the cylinder and piston warm.

Most users dont warm the saws, like the 088 owner.

True enough, I know alot of Stihl owners who are perfectly happy, and devoted to the brand, they say only good things abotu them. I have some clients who run 028's, 044's, 066's. and as I recall, a MS660? newer saw.
And they break, just like the other brands. He has very little trouble with the Husky saws, and all his workers are well versed in proper saw care and use.

clearance said:
Stihl jihad
;)

Now that's something I'll have to paint on my saw!!!! "Watch out Infidel Trees, the Stihl jihad is coming!!!!!!!":ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back