Stihl Saw RECALL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
We shall see, I guess.

See what?

I dont like the brand of saw that most people here adore...so what.

I like old McCullochs, Tanakas, Big old Poulans, Echos...

RED-85-Z51 said:
...all the way to an 088 that looked like brand new. The guy bought it, and the first time he used it, he didnt let it warm up and the piston expanded so much it ate the cylinder out.

Or that he used regular gas in...

You see so many Stihls being repaired because there's so many Stihls in the hands of professionals. Everytime I go into my dealer he's got racks of saws being worked on. Most are Stihl. That's because 75% of the professional timber fallers in my area use Stihl. Pros beat the hell out of saws. They just do. They're going to need service, they just will. That, and Stihl sells more saws in this country than anyone else. Period.

And you don't see many Poulans because they're a homeowner saw, and when they break, they get thrown away and a a new one bought, or they take it back to Wal-Mart and get a refund or a new one. No one is going to put $30 worth of repairs into a $60 saw.

Run what you will my friend, we'll not bother you about it, as you may have noticed. If you want to run a Poulan, you're welcome to it. But when you come in here bashing a saw that makes many of us here money, and that we rely on, and that we know works, you're going to get our opinions on the subject as well. The same would be true if you bashed Husky or JRed, etc. ;)

fishhuntcutwood said:
Or that he used regular gas in...

You see so many Stihls being repaired because there's so many Stihls in the hands of professionals. Everytime I go into my dealer he's got racks of saws being worked on. Most are Stihl. That's because 75% of the professional timber fallers in my area use Stihl. Pros beat the hell out of saws. They just do. They're going to need service, they just will. That, and Stihl sells more saws in this country than anyone else. Period.

And you don't see many Poulans because they're a homeowner saw, and when they break, they get thrown away and a a new one bought, or they take it back to Wal-Mart and get a refund or a new one. No one is going to put $30 worth of repairs into a $60 saw.

Run what you will my friend, we'll not bother you about it, as you may have noticed. If you want to run a Poulan, you're welcome to it. But when you come in here bashing a saw that makes many of us here money, and that we rely on, and that we know works, you're going to get our opinions on the subject as well. The same would be true if you bashed Husky or JRed, etc. ;)

Im not bashing Stihl, just stating my experiences with them.

Stihl Saws are GREAT compared to the stihl homeowner and semi-commercial string trimmers..
Ive worked on quite a few of them, and Ive got to say, what a poorly made trimmer. You get up in price into the upper tier, and you get a nice trimmer.

On one I worked on, the throttle cable was routed over a plastic arm, to the carb, and when you gave it gas, the whole thinf flexed. So Ireplaced it, same thing. Everything was free-moving...just a bad design, saw was pretty new too.

I know of probably a hundred of Weed-Eater trimmers that serve faithfully, many are 7+ years old. When ever I go by a road crew running Stihl Trimmers I see the same thing...8 people total, 6 working, 2 working on the trimmers.

Like I said, Lots of people are very devoted to stihl..and more power to em.
Many like Jred and Husky, Pioneer...etc, and thats great,

But honestly, I beleive that Stihl saws are slightly overrated. I put them Equal to Husky. Husky and Stihl seem to be the top 2 brands in sales, I personally like the huskys over the Stihls. I had a Rancher 55 ( as I recall) a couple years back for a while, and it worked great, much much lighter than the Stihl.

It's all good Jeff, I get what he is saying, the J D dealer I worked for only carried Shidawia 2 stroke equipment, in a year and a half, never did work on a shinny saw, might have sold ten of them, now trimmers and blowers, HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! We probably sold 20 a week, worked on them nonstop!!!!!
As I said before, if Shinny would bring thier saw line up up to date with the rest of thier equipment, I think they are holding out to see what happens with the 4-mix motors, they would be unbeatable!!!! Thier equipment is top notch!!!!
As for Stihl leaving a bad taste in you're mouth, been there, done that, swore I'd never buy it again a few years ago myself!!! A Good dealer makes all the difference in the world!!!!
Andy

fishhuntcutwood said:
I treat them like queens. Just ask Gary (GASoline71) how I treat them. He sat with me and my X-FIANCE' at the Sequim logging show this year. This was eight months after she dumped me, which she did two weeks before our wedding.

To be honest with you... I was almost led to believe you guys were still together. If the way you treated her that day is any indiaction of how you treat or act around women... it's her loss dude!

Gary

Latest posts

Back