stihl series type 1166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyduke

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a stihl basket case this morning. The fuel tank looks like an 038, with the choke lever that pushes on an air filter (air filter is missing.) the arm that holds the choke linkage is broken, like most 038's, the clutch drum part number starts with 1125 which would indicate 034/036/360. carb is tilotson with a real choke, not bing. choke linkage and half-throttle lock are missing. serial number on case starts with 1166. i can't find any reference to that model type. the aluminum badges on the starter and cylinder cover are worn shiny, no help there. does anyone know what a type 1166 is? this one has been rode hard and put up wet. will need some new parts. thanks in advance.

tip the saw over and look at the number on inside of the case.

don't understand "inside of case." do you mean under the clutch cover or on the starter side? the starter cover starts with 1125 so i'm pretty sure this is an 1125. the bore is 48mm so i'm thinking 036. the piston is beautiful though i'm sure it has many hours on it. it will need a new fuel tank/rear handle. the plastic that holds the rube-goldberg choke linkage is gone. the tilotson carb has no half throttle lock so that may need to be replaced too. i'm not an admirer of stihls but the 036 is one of the good ones, in my opinion. so it may be worth some trouble. it would be a good saw for a girl.

Latest posts

Back