stihl440 & 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hello all has anyone used either of these if so how did you like them

440/441

I've got an 044, same thing as the 440. I didn't really care for it the other day when I'd first taken it out. Made some adjustments and now I love it. I tried a 441 out today at the stihl dealer. I couldn't see alot of difference. It felt ALOT heavier though I will say. Other dudes can prolly give you an exact difference far as specs, there's only .1hp difference in the 2 saws. I'd buy a 441 if I could justify spending the $730, but nah, there's really not much diff as far as I'm concerned... I will say my 044 is one cuttin SOB dude. I really like it alot. I cut for about 1.5hrs with it today and it made me nervous. The sucker was like a mad aligator trying to attack the wood, I had to hang on like he11. I recommend the saws for anyone dude. Great saw. Give it a few, I'm sure a couple others on here will tell you it's a POS, oh well eh? I do like it... :cheers:

They are both great saws! The 440 is a proven design with tons of aftermarket support. The 441 has a power gain, new air filtration system, and a beautiful antivibe system!! BUT it is also a .5lbs heavier.

Try doing a search the 441 has over 5000 posts about it! I am sure someone else will be along to tll you the same thing but different. :popcorn: :popcorn:

ciscoguy01 said:
I've got an 044, same thing as the 440.

The early 044's are about .5 hp less than the newer 440's. They updated the porting and made some other mods to the saw.

I've had both and they're both capable saws. Tuned properly, like any saw should be, it cuts well. My 440 is one of my go-to saws.

Jeff

OH NO, NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!
JUST BUY THE 441 AND BE DONE WITH IT>:bang:

thank you all

I admit when I first started looking for a new saw have always liked the 440

ms440 expensive but worth it

I run an ms440 with a 24 inch bar and it cuts so well and has such an agressive power band that I tend to only use it for situations that really call for that kind of power. I chicken out and use my husky 365's as much as possible.

I know a couple two or three guys that got bitten badly by not respecting the power of the 044 and ms440 pro saws.

It's a serious saw so be careful and show it the proper respect it deserves.

jomoco

jomoco said:
I run an ms440 with a 24 inch bar and it cuts so well and has such an agressive power band that I tend to only use it for situations that really call for that kind of power. I chicken out and use my husky 365's as much as possible.

I know a couple two or three guys that got bitten badly by not respecting the power of the 044 and ms440 pro saws.

It's a serious saw so be careful and show it the proper respect it deserves.

jomoco
was you impressed by it and would recommend it

stan_1966 said:
was you impressed by it and would recommend it
I would. I would also recomend the 441 if you want a very smooth saw with a better power band. You will not notice the difference in weight.:givebeer:

Just Mow said:
I would. I would also recomend the 441 if you want a very smooth saw with a better power band. You will not notice the difference in weight.:givebeer:
what are the going prices on the 440 and 441

If you're a seasoned pro by all means yes

Just because I'm a little intimidated by it doesn't mean I don't use it or recommend it, I'm just very careful when I do.

I'm sure there are lots of burly pro loggers out there that use them all day long and wish they had more power, so they hop them up.

I keep most of my saws pretty stock in an effort to get a very long life out of them. I'm just a little 170lb climber.

Work Safe

jomoco

stan_1966 said:
what are the going prices on the 440 and 441

Today I got a quote for a 441 for $729, the 440 was $689. Those are high though. I can probably get one from a different Stihl shop for around $649/$599 respectively.

fishhuntcutwood said:
The early 044's are about .5 hp less than the newer 440's. They updated the porting and made some other mods to the saw. ....
I believe the change happened in 1999 or 2000, a few years before the 044 became the 440, and the difference is a bit less than .5 hp (4.0 vs 3.8 kW, I believe).
The upgrades made a bigger difference to the 046 than to the 044.
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
ciscoguy01 said:
Today I got a quote for a 441 for $729, the 440 was $689. Those are high though. I can probably get one from a different Stihl shop for around $649/$599 respectively.

WOW!!! Those are great prices! Stihl Northeast just raised all the prices on saws.

Stihl NW hasn't raised their saw prices in several years (yet).

We had notice in October saying - place your final order for the 440. Then we just got a notice saying - don't worry, we'll have enough though 1st Q next year. I figure they are getting one more shipment in before the end of the year and then the new 2007 Regs kick in...

Goodbye 440 and 372.. Been nice knowing ya!

Off

BostonBull said:
WOW!!! Those are great prices! Stihl Northeast just raised all the prices on saws.

To get $50 off a $700 saw isn't that great of a discount dude. Less than 10%, but stihl, any amount will do right? :clap:

I really like my 044, especially for firewood. Light, fast, always starts, get's picked up first. A lot depends on what you want to use it for and whether you really want to buy a new saw. There are thousands of 044's out there to be picked up for $250-$350 used. Wear out the top end and pick up a bailey's big bore kit for $100. my 2c.

Latest posts

Back