stihl440 & 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044 Should be plenty

Hey stan1966 I have had my o44 since they came out way back in the 90's. Unless you are cutting a lot of huge trees it should work a long time. My saw has been run at least 1000 hrs have cut 56" doug fir logs 48" plus big leaf maple 30 -40" ceder flutes for shingle and shake bolts sevral log loads of hard wood mill logs 15 plus chords of wood for fire wood sales a year for 5 years never a hitch or break down. I personally love the feel of an 044 lite and balanced. Was starting to look for newer saw but since I found this site strongley considering having a big bore kit and stage 2 mod done.I run 28" bar and full skip chisel chain. This length bar seems well balanced for me.

Lakeside

bks044 said:
Checked my serial # its a 120 number so it has small wrist pin. So no overbore kit boohoo.:cry: Is it worth modifying or would I be better off getting an ms460.

Were I you, I'd PM lakeside. I'll bet he'd know right off the top of his head dude. Maybe you'd just have to make a minor mod to it. Your saw is still 5.3hp though as stated by Stihl today at 4pm when I called them... Least its german made eh?

I'd keep it stock except the muffler mod. There was a really good reason stihl updated the crank...

If it runs good, use it, or sell it and buy a later one with bad top end for rebuilding.

Also... for you guys that just have to tear things apart... :Eye::Eye: When you are looking inside the crankcase of the 12mm version, if you see metal shields on the bearings... replace the bearings while you are at it. You might be able to pull of the metal shields (pita), but you have to take the crankcase apart to do this anyhow. Stihl decided it was better to shield the bearings, but all it did was trap crud inside of the shields and decrease the life! They were updated again a few years later to the version without the shields.

Last edited:
This saw has been so good to me i think might just do a top end and keep it stock. Ill keep it around as old reliable nice stock saw. What would you choose between a ms460, ms650 ms660 stock or modified as a higher end saw. This would be for the bigger stuff and probably run a 36" bar. On a side note, I never thought about saw racing till I found this site. Were would I find races around here and rules etc.

bks044 said:
This saw has been so good to me i think might just do a top end and keep it stock. Ill keep it around as old reliable nice stock saw. What would you choose between a ms460, ms650 ms660 stock or modified as a higher end saw. This would be for the bigger stuff and probably run a 36" bar. On a side note, I never thought about saw racing till I found this site. Were would I find races around here and rules etc.

My vote from those three to run a 36in bar is go for the 660. Alot less work.

stan_1966 said:
how do the specs compare? ....

The most reliable info I have is:

460: 4.4 kW=6.0 bhp=6.1 hp, 6.5 kg
441: 4.1 kW=5.5 bhp=5.6 hp, 6.6 kg
440: 4.0 kW=5.4 bhp=5.5 hp, 6.2 kg

All have their max power output at 9500 rpm - the (still) open question is how wide the powerband of the 441 is, compared to the older saws...

stan_1966 said:
how do the specs compare? ....

The most reliable info I have is:

460: 4.4 kW/6.0 hp/6.0 bhp, 6.5 kg
441: 4.1 kW/5.6 hp/5.5 bhp, 6.6 kg
440: 4.0 kW/5.4 hp/5.4 bhp, 6.2 kg

Some of the hp vs bhp numbers doesn't seem to add up, but don't try to calculate the hp or bhp yourself based on the kW numbers. Further calculation based on rounded off numbers is a risky sport....

All have their max power output at 9500 rpm - the (still) open question is how wide the powerband of the 441 is, compared to the older saws...

Lakeside53 said:
... Goodbye 440 and 372.. Been nice knowing ya!
Well, I haven't met the 372 yet, but I hope that I will by Christmas.....:biggrinbounce2:

I have wanted one for several years, and soon they will be gone on the alter of EPA etc....:taped:

I love my 441

My Dad and I have always used McCulloch's. Always used either our 10-10, 555 or 700. The oiler quit working on my 555 and decided it was time for a new saw.

First I looked at different brands similar to the size of the PM 700. (70cc). Then I noted the dealers in my area to supply parts and accessories. Long story short, I purchased a Stihl 441 w/24"bar for $679.00.

I've only run 4 tanks of gas thru it, but I've been very impressed. It runs circles around the McCulloch 700, is quieter and has little to no vibration.

I don't cut wood for a living, just enough for supplimental heating and for cutting fence posts around the farm. I don't worry too much about the weight, I can take breaks between gas refills.

Just my 2 cents

Jeff

So I was thinking about trading in my 044 yesterday and dealer told me he'd gimme 350 on it. Not too bad considering eh a saw that's around 10 yrs old...

ciscoguy01 said:
So I was thinking about trading in my 044 yesterday and dealer told me he'd gimme 350 on it. Not too bad considering eh a saw that's around 10 yrs old...

Try to get a 353 instead (mag case), and leave it to Samantha......:rockn: :rockn:

...but I wouldn't turn in an 044 for any of them, unless it is pretty worn.:buttkick:

Back