stihl440 & 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't find a good thread to use so I grabbed this one for two questions:

Bwalker, did you ever borrow that 441 and what are your impressions?

Anyone, any update on any specs or time frame for the release of a 461? If it is as smooth as a 441 without much additional weight yet with proportionally more power it should be popular.

I've heard rumors, but no concrete information on a 461... IMO Stihl will likely revamping the lower end lines first... and using EPA credits for the larger machines to continue production of the 460/660/880.

I was supposed to meet with Stihl today, but... as you well know... :biggrinbounce2: we're all grid locked and frozen solid, so I'm having snow day instead!:cheers:

Lakeside53 said:
I've heard rumors, but no concrete information on a 461... IMO Stihl will likely revamping the lower end lines first... and using EPA credits for the larger machines to continue production of the 460/660/880.

I was supposed to meet with Stihl today, but... as you well know... :biggrinbounce2: we're all grid locked and frozen solid, so I'm having snow day instead!:cheers:

So the 461 is probably a year away absolute minimum? I would hate to buy a 441 and the two months later try a 461 and wished I had one of those.

Yea, really icy roads here. I was out last night, rolling my eyes at all the cars in the ditches everywhere. Then for the first time in many years while practicing maneuvers on an empty back road I manage to slide my truck into a ditch myself. Luckily I was able to back right out. Think me and my wood trailer will not be going out today.

Last edited:
Took me 2 hours to go 11 miles, 1.5 hours to go 4 miles on the freeways. I got off the freeway, found the real back roads on the plateau (no tracks, drifted snow), low ratio 4wd, and hauled along in the dark... Lots of fools out here...

My guess - yes, its at least a year out... maybe more.

Lakeside53 said:
Took me 2 hours to go 11 miles, 1.5 hours to go 4 miles on the freeways. I got off the freeway, found the real back roads on the plateau (no tracks, drifted snow), low ratio 4wd, and hauled along in the dark... Lots of fools out here...

Hey...its not how fast you get there thats important. Its how many times you get back from there...unscathed and with all your limbs intact...that counts. Amen on the fools. What is there about marginally safe driving conditions that releases the idiot in otherwise normal people?

price check

Iam looking into a 044 441 046 just the power heads not bars or chains whats the price checks you guys are getting...my dealer seems high was told 720 for powerhead of 044....cant find prices online so iall ask all of you what you paid ??

sloth9669 said:
Iam looking into a 044 441 046 just the power heads not bars or chains whats the price checks you guys are getting...my dealer seems high was told 720 for powerhead of 044....cant find prices online so iall ask all of you what you paid ??

I only paid 400 for my 044. Mint too, less than 12 hours on it when I got it. Some old dude that couldn't handle it, so it sat in a box for the last several years. You could find a powerhead for maybe 300 or so, then buy the BB kit for $100 from baileys and have one mean machine... So you know, you can get a modded 440 from the trading post for $450, just the powerhead :rock:

Last edited:
Bwalker, did you ever borrow that 441 and what are your impressions?
Not yet. I had 20 cords of firewood dropped on me and hunting season came so driving over to the Stihl dealer 20 miles away took a back seat for awhile. IN the next week or so I should make it over there as I need some chain.

Back