Stihl's future saw technology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On the way back this afternoon from a trip, drove by a small equipment dealer out in the boonies that had a huge trailer/caravan from Stihl in the yard opened up for demo's. Stopped in to check it out and it was actually staffed by Stihl Canada personel. They had everything saws, weed wackers, bush wackers, blowers, drills, auger units, tools, accessories, new brochures of all kinds and knowledgeable Stihl Canada people to answer questions.

One of these guys was in Germany a few months back and to meet 2007 EPA mandated levels apparently Stihl will be using something called tri-level catalytic converter technology on all models, these will also be equipped with Intelli carbs as well. I was told that this tri-level will restrict exhaust far greater than now and will lower available power obviously. One of the gentlemen even mentionned that to obtain the power and performance of a current equivalent saw you will need to move up a step or two in saw size. These new models will be quieter apparently. They have no choice if they want to be able to sell saws they are forced legally to comply with the EPA reg's.

Apparently the new MS361 is a real success for Stihl. I could have purchased one there today with a hardshell woodsman case, a couple of spare chains a hat and a 6 pack of oil for $645.00 canadian dollars excluding taxes, I estimate the 645.00 to be roughly 540 yankee green backs or so.

That was at least $150.00 the normal pricing. Not including the freebies.

He thinks their competitors are also going that way as well, so if you will be needing some new saws I guess now is the time to get them.

Lobo said:
One of the gentlemen even mentionned that to obtain the power and performance of a current equivalent saw you will need to move up a step or two in saw size.

does that mean they will be coming out with an ms128?

Sorta reminds me of our Congress today. We get what the 'lobbyist' want, not what the voters want. And with the saws, its what the EPA wants, not what the customer wants. Shame that EPA is not paying for our saws; as they get everything they want in them. Wonder who the blankity blank in EPA really is? Surely, not a woodsman. My two cents and complaint for the day.

Come on now guys. I'm sure those of you who already mod your mufflers are going to find a way around this one as well. Until the smog cops are lurking out in the woods and at the local watering hole you guys will continue to to ignore the laws of the land. Laws legislated or approved by people you voted into office.

I reckon muffler mods ALL over the place will be necessary to make the future saws actually cut like any saw at all.

aftermarket muffler?

I am reluctant to mod my muffler. I dont want to just cut the baffles out & wind up with an obnoxious loud saw. -- Are there any good suppliers of aftermarket muffluers, with dual ports or somthing like that that can give a bit more power without sacreficing too much in noise?

The FS guys I worked with from Cal this summer said they can't even get Dolmar plastic gas cans anymore. There is some sort of special whoop-de-doo legal vented gas thingy that those special people down there dig, baby.
Woe is me.
Maybe those ridiculous prices for old saws on EBay are actually cheap. With our future being one where those that can rebuild/modify and make their own carbs/mufflers will represent the pinnacle of human evolution.
That two man Disston without an EPA carb is looking sweet now.
Is a misery whip the EPA's ultimate goal?

It is strange why only exhaust gases are under EPA attention, not the bar oililing and oils used there. Greenhouse effect, ozone holes :dizzy:
I´m personally dont like noisy saws too. Why to kill "peace" for some parts of HP :angry:

computeruser said:
Look on the bright side, guys, at least they aren't mandating that all saws be electric or solar powered or wind driven or use hydrogen fuel cells...

Don't joke, that may come ! :cry:

pinus said:
It is strange why only exhaust gases are under EPA attention, not the bar oililing and oils used there. Greenhouse effect, ozone holes :dizzy:
I´m personally dont like noisy saws too. Why to kill "peace" for some parts of HP :angry:
I don't like the noise either...But once you've run modded saws, you're hooked....

The old adage, "there's no replacement for displacement" goes by the wayside when ya run a hopped up saw.

I'm stocking up on saws, no way do I want to deal with all the new crap....

The venerable 372 is almost gone, its replacement is too heavy...same will soon go for all the Stihl's.

rbtree said:
I don't like the noise either...But once you've run modded saws, you're hooked....

The old adage, "there's no replacement for displacement" goes by the wayside when ya run a hopped up saw.

I'm stocking up on saws, no way do I want to deal with all the new crap....

The venerable 372 is almost gone, its replacement is too heavy...same will soon go for all the Stihl's.

Thats is a human soul ;)
Why most from us like quiet and smooth cars :alien:
The saw weight is the strong argument against EPA, I agree

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee! It's obvious they want us all out using axe's and maul's again! Which is why I'm running over to grab my new fiberglass handled axe in a few minutes. They're lighter weight, AND EPA compliant.

Justin

No seriously though, that does stink that they're playing around so much wiht emissions on these. While they're killing chainsaw performance, 10 more soccer mom's are off to the grocery in their useless gas-guzzling hummers.

That makes me think though... Could one use alternative fuels such as ethanol/alcohol in a 2 cylcle chainsaw?

And one other thing... WHY AREN'T WE SEEING ANY STIHL 4-MIX POWERED CHAIN SAWS???

Justin

and the axe can do more damage to the head of the politician who allows this crap to get signed into law. the maul is good for their fingers too. I know where mine is.

And these EPA restrictions on chainsaw emissions will have about 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 of 1/1000000000000000000000% on carbon increases in the atmosphere. Three good whale farts could counter the benefits. I would go so far as to bet that the increased energy required for manufacturing the new mufflers will cause more carbon emissions than would have been expelled had no restrictions been made.

Seriously though, with all the new EPA claims of the 4-Mix engines, I' dont understand why we aren't seeing them in chainsaws? The FS-130 engine produces 1.7 peak hp- equivelant to the power a MS170 and MS192T, and better torque I am sure. And, the BR500, and BR 600 engines make 3 and 4 hp respectively. These would be great engines for a MS260/MS361 saws. Why, I just don't get it, WHY?

Justin

Justin,
are you talking about 4-stroke engines? This has been something that 2006 EPA and 2004 CARB requirements have made an issue with outboard motors, which is why you see more and more 4-strokes and DI 2 strokes there. I think you don't see them in chainsaws because they will be pretty dang heavy will they not? 4-stroke means oil sump...oil filter.... a couple quarts of oil, valves..... apparently teh radical environmentalists want to kill everything I like, diesels, boat motors, and now chainsaws??

Most of you guys are pathetic and predictable. Remember automobiles in the late 70's/early 80's? No chicken littles, the sky is not falling. :rolleyes:

Good post Nevada.

pallis said:
And these EPA restrictions on chainsaw emissions will have about 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 of 1/1000000000000000000000% on carbon increases in the atmosphere. Three good whale farts could counter the benefits. I would go so far as to bet that the increased energy required for manufacturing the new mufflers will cause more carbon emissions than would have been expelled had no restrictions been made.
Where do you get your figures? Do tell. If you're using hyperbole, then your post has no basis for legitimate consideration in this situation.
Oh, and "100000000000000000000000000000000000000 of 1/1000000000000000000000%" is the same as 100,000,000,000,000,000% which I'm sure is not quite what you were trying to say. :rolleyes:

I would go so far as to say your mathematical speculations regarding emmisions are worth about as much as a monkey in a white room with a box full of crayons.

Latest posts

Back