Still missing parts, or something's messed up...help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might have meant to tell me to get the 25x42x7. There's too many IDs and ODs floating around. :dizzy:

The ETC style looks kinda close to the cross section of the new oil seal that I got, but not quite. The new one I got has two circular springs (see the rough cross section that I drew below...black is metal, red is rubber, circles are the springs that go around). I didn't see a similar cross section on that website, and it sounded like those were the standard cross sections from their descriptions. How much difference would it make to go with the ETC style vs. the style of the oil seal in my hand? I'll look around some for other sites that sell a style similar to what I have in front of me. I've never searched for these though, so let me know if you guys know of any other good sources.

I also slid the 25 mm OD worm into the hole, and it engages the oil pump nicely. So it's just that OD where it hits the oil seal that's a problem.
--Tyler
Tyler, I reckon that's the way to go. My bad on the OD, wasn't thinking... as far as the cross profiles go, I wouldn't have thought it mattered. But when you ring them up say what it's for and the can recommend a profile. Hope it works out

I think you might have meant to tell me to get the 25x42x7. There's too many IDs and ODs floating around. :dizzy:

The ETC style looks kinda close to the cross section of the new oil seal that I got, but not quite. The new one I got has two circular springs (see the rough cross section that I drew below...black is metal, red is rubber, circles are the springs that go around). I didn't see a similar cross section on that website, and it sounded like those were the standard cross sections from their descriptions. How much difference would it make to go with the ETC style vs. the style of the oil seal in my hand? I'll look around some for other sites that sell a style similar to what I have in front of me. I've never searched for these though, so let me know if you guys know of any other good sources.

I also slid the 25 mm OD worm into the hole, and it engages the oil pump nicely. So it's just that OD where it hits the oil seal that's a problem.

djmercer1 - I'm going to look a little for a 3rd party oil seal, since I paid good money for the new worm from Stihl and it's easier to mix with different pitches, as you mentioned. But I may grow impatient with that quickly and send you a PM for yours. I have a 7 tooth 3/8" sprocket with the pin holes spaced about 102 deg. apart. Will your cover washer work on that, or do you have the 180 deg. pins?

--Tyler

oilsealcross.jpg

that 7t sprocket is actually 404, the 8t sprocket is 3/8 unless the aftermarket ones are different. in any event, the cover plate and worm with good intact seal are still here the pins are 102 deg apart(1 spur between the holes), unlikely to ever be used again...

Yeah, I'm sure other cross-section profiles will work, but I just want to make sure I get one that does. I guess I'll give them a call and see what they say, as I'm definitely no expert on oil seals.

dj - I actually have a rim & drum system with a rim similar to this one (maybe the same one):
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RSD+3757&catID=262
Since it wasn't a configuration you mentioned, I even checked twice. Sounds like your cover washer will fit. I'll be in touch after I get a chance to talk to the oil seal people.

Thanks,
Tyler

I called EPM (the oil seal company) and they have a minimum order of $100. Other places that I found through google are similar (many with higher min orders). I guess if you're custom ordering an oil seal, it's usually because you're making a line of products, rather than because you have the wrong sized oil pump worm. :laugh:

If you look back at pictures I posted earlier, it's also interesting to note that the two oil seals (old (30mm ID) and new (25mm ID)) don't have the same profile. I hadn't thought to check this earlier, just because I had the newer one in hand at the computer. But in the pictures, the one in the saw seems to only have one circular spring (none is visible from the outside of the saw), and the OD is metal rather than coated in rubber. So obviously a few different profiles work just fine.

That all being said, I think the difficulty in finding a custom oil seal and my impatience with getting this saw running dictate that I should work something out with djmercer. I'll send you a PM shortly...

As a side note, I now have a spare brand new 25x47x7 oil seal and 25 mm OD lug style oil pump worm if anyone needs them.

Thanks for your help guys and for sticking with me through this.

--Tyler

I called EPM (the oil seal company) and they have a minimum order of $100. Other places that I found through google are similar (many with higher min orders). I guess if you're custom ordering an oil seal, it's usually because you're making a line of products, rather than because you have the wrong sized oil pump worm. :laugh:

Damn, this is a shame - could've been a good cheap fix. It's odd cos I've walked into seal shops, given them the dimenions and the seal arrives a day later. I reckon you'd find a place but sounds like you've got a quick fix now so great!

yeah have the wrong oil seal for that worm drive - you have 9629 003 3400 (33 in picture). You want 9629 003 2900 (9 in picture) which is 25mm internal diameter. These are available from any stihl dealer.

I know this is an old post but I just ran into the same problem and thanks to this thread and this comment I am now able to purchase the correct seal. Thank you

Back