Stock vrs woods port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His saw is an E-tech. Think of an '84 305 instead of a late model 350. The gains to be had are huge.

actually my saw wasn't an e-tech model, I bought it before they came out. I used a newer saw as a comparersence because I had never made a timed cut with mine before any work was done on it. I needed a base line to see if it is improving, it is some, but not as much as I expected/or want.

Berryman If I go through with this Ohio gtg, you are welcome to come try out woods ported saws I have. I have a DN357 that I use for dropping my smaller poplars and bucking up the trees , then use it for gtg fun.

With a basic porting (A little widening of the ports, clean up and removing the base gasket) I agree with the 60%. Fixing the cat muffler alone is good for 30-35%, then gaining 20-25% on the motor would would certainly put it at about a 60% improvement.

To cut the times in half it can be done, but the limits will need to be pushed a bit more. Work on the carb, piston, and another 20 psi of compression and an 8 tooth gear. Then it would be cutting in half the time. Team that up with a good race chain and it should be down to under 3 seconds. Modified, but still be good cut fire wood.

Crossing the line to a stock appearing gas race saw it should be under 2 seconds in that sized hardwood wood. put a pipe and some fuel in it and I would not be surprised if it cut close to 1 second.

What kind of ash we talking about? I'v got some white ash that is near as hard and dense as red oak, and some other green or black swamp ash that about as easy to cut as poplar.

Hey tw, how about putting up a link to your 359 video!
:chainsaw::rockn::cheers:

Hey tw, how about putting up a link to your 359 video!
:chainsaw::rockn::cheers:

I stood less then 3 feet holding the cant as that saw was being tested and ran for a time in Luther.
If it is the stock appearing 359 I know of that TW built.
It was tested with gas at that, one fast saw.

Last edited:
Why wasn't that one tested at the Mill pond? Also, it looked like two different cants were used for the differnt saws. Might have just been the lighting

I know it wasn't your call, but figure you know.

Fred

I stood less then 3 feet holding the cant as that saw was being tested and ran for a time in Luther.
If it is the stock appearing 359 I know of that TW built.
It was tested with gas at that, one fast saw.
I had seen that video before, It sure is impressive, I told a coupe freinds about it & i'll have to show them the vid, 'cause they don't believe it.

My earlier questions were towards C4Fun not TW or Crofter. I assumed it was the same videos I saw before.:buttkick:

Fred

Fred those are TW's personal videos posted here.
Both saws were tested in the same cant and ran the same mix, back to back.

The light seemed different and the wood had a dark spot. Just wondered because of that. Also wondered why it was not at the show like I thought it was supposed to be.

Fred

His saw is an E-tech. Think of an '84 305 instead of a late model 350. The gains to be had are huge.

i
i have to chime in and agree with this.
The new Yamaha WRs are the same way. There is a company that makes an entire kit to replace the stock governors and propperly plug the emission holes left over. Before= mild mannered half-throttle reporter. After=full throttle SUPERMAN, who turned it on?, look out hill climbs! AND it is still stock, just not compliant with certain offroad governing agencies. Big bores and porting, piping, etc...is still to be had if necassery.I think a noticable gain could be acheived while staying within or close to stock parameters and pump gas

Here is the video from Luther, Looking at it again, I should have been DQ-ed as the a little chunk of the cookie broke off the top left of the cant on both cuts. LOL.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v706/woodsjunkie/?action=view&current=100_1295.flv

As far as 359 compression just pulling the base gasket should take it from 160-165 to about 175-180, but then by the time the exhaust is raised back up to stock it should settle in about 170-175.

Removing the gasket without raising the exhaust will slow the saw down about 5% in cut times, more torque, but loosing RPM. Raising the port back up taking the gasket out is good for about a 5% gain by holding about 500 RPM more in the cut.

Last edited:
I know next time I dont want to be the one holding the cant during testing. :ices_rofl:
Going to make sure there is tie downs somewhere stored before hand and the 359 was loud, but was music :rockn: to my ears.

You wouldn't hold Open Throttle no load for long on that saw. Real easy to get over 18,000 rpm!
Not easy to relate cut time with power output but I'd bet it is producing close to 12 HP.

I just ran a 365 in the same 7x9, 2 down cuts - 8.2 seconds - 20 inch bar, lg chain not new but good, saw in good tune
here's where I'm at: stock e-tech 359 9.6 seconds, my 359 7 seconds, I know there's room for improvement

As far as 359 compression just pulling the base gasket should take it from 160-165 to about 175-180, but then by the time the exhaust is raised back up to stock it should settle in about 170-175.
I'm only getting 135 to 140 compression readings, no gasket, port raised approx .020 - but the saw did seeze the piston/ring, which I replaced with aftermarket, don't know if I ever got a good seat on the new ring ( hate saying ring, as in one)

Sounds like you have a jug - piston - ring combo that is not 100%. Does the compression gauge read 160 psi or so on a new saw? Some times gauges are off by a lot, esp any that lack the shreder valve at the fitting. Some aftermarket parts don't measure up.

To quote Al Smith "You're not going to make a silk purse out of sows ear".

If you start out with a saw that's well south of 150-170 psi of compression and port it without fixing what ever is wrong your behind the eight ball right off the bat.

If it is just a case of the aftermarket parts being designed with too much head volume then take the compression up more.

Last edited:
Back