Store bought shed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just moved in new house and my 5 year plan is to build a shop with lean two but until then I need a shed so I can use wood as my primary heating source again starting next winter. I’m looking for something I can buy and assemble that’s big enough to hold 5+ cords and maybe a tractor (don’t have one yet). What are my options? I was thinking a car port and I can just build a wall for the back?

If you're looking for something temporary, quick and easy, Harbor Fright sells a "1 car" size tent with tarp-like covering on all sides, and all tubular framework and ground anchors, for something like $200. A friend bought one a couple years ago, to use as a paint booth IN his garage, for painting a bunch or SnapOn tool boxes. (they came out better than factory new). When he was done, he gave it away, as it had served it's purpose. That could offer some weather protection for a tractor and firewood, but it ain't gonna last too many years.

If you're looking for something temporary, quick and easy, Harbor Fright sells a "1 car" size tent with tarp-like covering on all sides, and all tubular framework and ground anchors, for something like $200. A friend bought one a couple years ago, to use as a paint booth IN his garage, for painting a bunch or SnapOn tool boxes. (they came out better than factory new). When he was done, he gave it away, as it had served it's purpose. That could offer some weather protection for a tractor and firewood, but it ain't gonna last too many years.
Funny you mention that I almost bought one of those tents today as I got a coupon for 25% off. That will be my tractors home once I settle in what one I’m getting. If there’s room I can put my boss v-plow for my truck in there too.

As a data point the 1 car garage size tarp shelter my in laws put up lasted ten years before a snow load tore the tarp on roof. I don’t know what brand it was but they didn’t do anything special for it.

The shelter logic brand will only last a few years . I bought a Rhino brand as a stop gap till I can get a metal building put up .
Good portable shelters aren’t cheap by any means . I got this one before the price shot up in fall of 2020. It was $2600 that was over 300 off the list price .There now around 3400 For the 22x24 . Real heavy duty construction DB7AE16C-E8D8-4783-A4A4-1F98A265A294.jpeg4D7EEBED-5DAE-426A-997C-84C0FB70FC7A.jpeg

I have had two of those canvas style carports, one from Costco and one from harbor freight. Both collapsed because of snow, even though I was cleaning them off morning and night. Up in the panhandle it wouldn't be if but when it collapsed from snow load.
I would recommend instead one of those steel topped tubular frame canopy's you see scattered around for sale. I have a 20x30 that has remained standing for at least 10 years. The small one car carport size ones aren't that much more than a canopy and can be dismantled and repurposed into something else later. When the canvas style one's collapse, they will damage your vehicle.
Hope this helps.

Like I said the Costco , Harbor freight and the ones sold in box stores are like Ezups . Good in sunny not so good in inclement weather. This is the second one like this I’ve owned. First one was from Cover-it lasted about 10 years never collapsed because of snow just the canvas wore out. And a new canvas is almost as much as a complete new unit. This one has been through two storms no damage .

I had a cover put up over an old cement slab that had been previously used as a dog run.
Was able to order a custom size, and while I didn’t put it up myself, the folks that did had it done in 4-6 hours.
I opted to leave the sides open but can add additional panels to the sides at any time.
db189cffd9c2a47dab5cc784865b27ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been working on a carport of sorts to get cover over things that need cover.

Ive settled on a 24w x 16d, 10' high at the front and probably end up around 7' high at the back. Bays will be 8' wide with posts set on 8.3' centers. I will space the front and back posts at 14.25' on centers. Single slope roof, basically a free standing lean to. Lumber and steel has me just a hair over $1300.

My plan is to use 4x6 posts, and then span the 16' with 4 4x6 on top of the posts while running 2x6 perpendicular on 2' centers between the horizontal 4x6. Ive spaced everything out to eliminate the need to cut anything.

In wildfire country (most of the western half of the US) I'd suggest having the wood shed be its own building with nothing else worth much in it, and well away from other structures. If a fire comes it's going to burn and it'll be hot. As we saw in Colorado recently, burning houses ignite other houses. Studies of the fire in Paradise CA a few years ago show that proximity to another building was the most important factor for if a building survived.

Friend of mine in MD had some crazy winds last night . This was staked down with duckbill anchors and rebar . Mine I used screw pile foundation anchors and 4x6 perimeter. The 4x6s will be used for the steel building as it's just going to be longer so I can add more wood and screws 20220117_064915_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back