Storing saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auskip07

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i tend to use my saws in spurts and then i dont touch them for months on end. If you do store your saws for an extended period of time how do you prepare them. Fuel stabilizer? empty the tank?

I run the pump petrol out and fill with alkylate petrol with my oil of choice .
The alkylate petrol lasts for a very long time with no ill effects over time that I have noted. Once you don’t have ethanol present moisture is less of a problem but the volatile elements in pump petrol still present issues imo.

I gave up on dumping fuel/dry run crap years ago. Now I just dump them on the shelf. Never had a problem and I have started some sitting 5 or 6 years.

Same here. I tried them all, dump the fuel, stabilizer, nothing... during the long winter (Nov thru Apr), and come spring they start right up. And yes -- Non Ethanol fuel ONLY!

guessing non ethanol fuel

Nope. No ETOH fuel is nonexistent in my area. Been using 10% since it was invented. I know of only 1 pump at a public airport that will sell ETOH free fuel and it is just too much of a pain in the azz to get. I run premium fuel with synthetic 2 stroke oil and it works just fine.

I gave up on dumping fuel/dry run crap years ago. Now I just dump them on the shelf. Never had a problem and I have started some sitting 5 or 6 years.
Seen a LOT of starting problems from old fuel.

I mark the date of purchase on the container and dump after 30 days. Run the saw dry.

I use Stabil and non-ethanol fuel when available. Have run 'tru-fuel' through some at the end, so that anything left in the carb passages is less likely to him up.

Philbert

Seen a LOT of starting problems from old fuel.

I mark the date of purchase on the container and dump after 30 days. Run the saw dry.

I use Stabil and non-ethanol fuel when available. Have run 'tru-fuel' through some at the end, so that anything left in the carb passages is less likely to him up.

Philbert

So far (knock on my wooden head) I have not experienced any problems. I think the key in the synthetic oil. My theory is that it coats and lubricates the saws fuel system. Even if the fuel evaporates, the oil remains. Just a theory and I do like to run a few experiments from time to time.

Factory premix for the inside of the saws. I also run dehumidifiers in the shop for the exterior of the saws. That helps prevent muffler rust and keeps electrical components dry.

I go start everything 2 stroke once every couple of weeks (mainly weedeaters) my saws get used mostly in the cold weather.

You can leave them at my house for storage. Promise the gas will never get old in them[emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

You can leave them at my house for storage. Promise the gas will never get old in them[emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

mine need tinkering they would be a pain in the ass to other people i bet.

Nope. No ETOH fuel is nonexistent in my area. Been using 10% since it was invented. I know of only 1 pump at a public airport that will sell ETOH free fuel and it is just too much of a pain in the azz to get. I run premium fuel with synthetic 2 stroke oil and it works just fine.
YOu can make 10 percent ethanol free pretty easy

YOu can make 10 percent ethanol free pretty easy
Is that free as in beer, or free as in liberty?

ITYM "ethanol free" or "0% ethanol." I can make vodka 100% ethanol free by leaving it outside in an open pan until it evaporates. Perhaps you should explain your method to remove ethanol from gasoline more fully. Gasoline has a higher vapor pressure. Do you distill the gasoline out of the ethanol without blowing things up?

Just sayin'. :cool:

Latest posts

Back