Stove at Full Throttle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was windy here yesterday and then down to 8-10* here last night, that kind of temp is usually no big deal, but that wind was makin my white oak stash disappear a lil faster than I'd like! I decided to throw a few pounds of coal in with the bedtime loading, bout singed (SP?) my eyebrows off when I popped the furnace door open this AM! Most awesome coalbed EVER! :) Plus those blue coal flames are so cool! Thermostat was set at 71*, house temp was still at 70* after 8 hrs on that load.
Been using, I would guess, 80 LBS of Oak and Hickory (dried to 20% range) per day. I'm heating 1200 sq ft main floor to 72* and 1200 sq ft mostly unfinished basement to the upper 60s, how's that compare to y'alls?

Loaded the old hungry Monster 1/2 full with Pecan, Locust and few hunks of Walnut. Looks like I'll top it off before bedtime with Locust. Turned the temp up to 180 deg.
Gonna' be a long weekend at the workhouse. (snivelling like a little girl),,

I'm glad I'm not the only one running more throttle than ever before. This is the first winter with it hooked to the house.
I've been loading with red Oak about 4 times a day. Having a little trouble maintaining 70 in the house but with a lil help from the oil fired hot air furnace we survived last night just fine, I expect the same tonight :)
stay warm
dave

The good stuff is goin' quick for sure. I almost cried when I took a good look at my stacks today.
Scroungin' is gonna be tough this summer, so I'll be on it as soon as I can dig my trailer out.

6* here this morning at 4:30 am house at 74* the old woodchucks putting the heat out but she's going through the wood. Might end up only 4 years ahead instead 5 before it's all over, but it's worth it. Oh well just have to cut more in the spring.

Ayuh,
a bit colder than "usual", but that's how it is sometimes.
Not too bad here, -3 this mornin', got up to about 10. I think we're at -5 right now.
Goin' through quite a bit of wood, but it's one of the best decisions I made to switch over to
burnin' wood to heat the house, 'cause I sure couldn't afford to burn oil..... :chop:

Stay warm everyone..... :D

-14F Here..
The past few weeks, I have been feeding the fire box with Locust..
First season I have had the chance to burn Locust, great fuel (I have a limited supply)
No worries though, lot's of Hickory, Sugar Maple and Ash for back up..

-3 here this morning, about 6 inches of snow, now its about -8, and dropping.
i have two stoves in my house, i only had one hooked up since i bought the house 3 years ago, (previous owner took one of the stoves with them)
and i had an Allnighter that i put in its place, just never hooked the stove to the triple wall chimney, so finally today i got the stove hooked up since i heard how cold its going to get.
now im sitting here sweating my ass off (about 90 deg. in my living room), with both stoves idleing, thinking i really didnt need the second stove :blob2:

Last night outside it was -25 C -13 F loaded it full of elm this morning house was 21C 72F. Tonight it seems to be warming up a bit.

Been friggin cold here and about to get colder. It was up to 16 this afternoon and I hit the garage to sort out a nice pile of ironwood for the brutal cold coming. Usually I only toss a chunk or 2 in on pretty cold nights but it's gonna be about 70 percent iron and the rest beech and hard maple for this crap coming.

Think I'm pushing the limits of this little stove. -6* outside, but it's holding steady at 61* and no boiler kicking on. It's like someone reaching into my pocket when I hear that thing fire up. Just having a hard time circulating the air. It's plenty warm in the stove room, but not in the others.

Sunday through Wednesday nights we had -31, -35, -33, -38. Areas close to us reported as low as -47 on Wednesday. One more blast of cold coming before resuming *normal* winter temps.

Ran the IWB for 12 days straight with only a small amount of help from the propane backup in the wee hours of the morning. I'm basically out of hardwood for the winter so it's aspen from here on out.

I have both stoves going, inside is warm but temp was -3 this morning. Can't believe that its going up to around 45 on Monday then back down to single numbers on Tuesday.

3 degrees here. OWB running wood, Chestnut and Stove coal mix nicely. Can't tell a diference in the house from 30 degree temps. Video is after 12 hours burn time. Should get another 6 hours with just a couple sticks of wood.

-8 here this morning. Got plenty of white and red oak so let 'er rip. Stove can do it's job, but burn time becomes more a of a factor in these conditions.

3 degrees here. OWB running wood, Chestnut and Stove coal mix nicely. Can't tell a diference in the house from 30 degree temps. Video is after 12 hours burn time. Should get another 6 hours with just a couple ricks of wood.
Fixed it for ya...:p

Back