Stove pipe clearance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtroad Johnso

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a wood burning stove ordered & it will be installed in a 30x40 metal building.
I plan on installing pipe thru the side & elbow up the side of the structure; how high do
I need to go past the highest point on the roof to get proper draft? Thanks, Dirtroad J

That depends on many factors, namely how much wind you get in your area, the direction its coming from, etc. Generally speaking you can get by with two feet above the highest point of the roof as long as the highest point is not real close to the pipe in case you have a very steep pitch to your roof. Best thing to do is snap a pic and post it here along with an arrow or something drawn in where you need the pipe to go. Keep in mind that any redirection of the pipe in the form of an elbow will cut down on your draft, you might be better off going right through the roof. While its tempting to cut corners and go with the shortest length of pipe you think you can get away with, just remember the old factories with the tall stacks, they built them high for a reason. The longer the pipe, the better it draws. And there is nothing more frustrating or inefficient than a stove that wont draw properly.

I agree, a pic would be helpful. Usually the straighter the better, go straight up through the roof if possible. This also allows the use of more black pipe and less of the expen$ive insulated pipe, and you reap the heat coming off the black pipe also.

The general rule of thumb is 2' higher than anything else within a 10' radius. But it could be more depending on your specific conditions, some of them already mentioned above.

What I do in those situations, is put a "tee" where it comes through the wall, and then go up just past the roof height. Not above the ridge. It will draw, and the tee allows it to 'belch'.

Be careful with the horizontal pipes, they collect soot etc. FAST.

Tee

Important to have a tee instead of an elbow, you can use it for cleaning/inspecting the vertical run, from below.
Do limit your horizontal run, or at least give it a real good upward slope to the tee.
2' above anything within a 10' radius is correct, but wind and atmospheric conditions can affect the draft.
As stated already, absolute best is to have it go through the roof.

Yep, follow the 2' - 10' rule. Chimney top 2 feet above any structure within 10 feet. You may want to go higher depending on your specific circumstances.

I agree that going through the roof in this case would be preferable to through-the-wall. Through-the-wall kits are mainly for installations where it's cheaper or you've got no choice. In the case of a commercial building I'd suggest venting through the roof. The fewer bends you have, the better.

Back